Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #22306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never had a pilot's license, but I have often thought how an airplane has to be functioning well....for the reason you say...there are no pullover lanes in the sky !

The pilot's checklist is of course a necessary before flying. I also do a bit of a check before I drive our vehicle in the morning. Since buying our big Buick sedan, new in 2007...our vehicles have come with electronic devices that monitor and tell me how some of the vehicle operations are working. One I find of particular value is the air pressure monitor system. Since we bought that Buick, every vehicle, save one, I've been able to check the psi of the tires with just a push of a button.

I check them cold, before driving, to make sure that are at factory recommended levels and also on a long trip in the hot summer, to see how they are doing re; heat expansion of psi.

When we used to pull our RV trailer, before psi monitor systems, I was invariably out there first thing in the morning with my large garage level air gauge, checking both vehicle and RV tires, before starting the next phase of the trip. You don't want to have tire problems when travelling long distance.
It sometimes pays to be careful and compulsive, cheap insurance against mishaps!

04-11-2021, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #22307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
you just turn a valve and the oil cascades down into your oil drain pan.

In my case a sudden gust of wind will invariably blow some of the hot oil onto my face.

Chris
04-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #22308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In my case a sudden gust of wind will invariably blow some of the hot oil onto my face.

Chris
I have not done it yet, but you can also fit a plastic tube to the end of the EZ Plug so that the waste oil is routed directly into your catch basin with no exposure to the wind or other disturbing elements. We are planning to do this for the E-Z plug we are attaching to my son's SA 200 Lincoln Electric welding machine after first drilling a hole in the metal floor of the welding truck's welding bed. This will allow the oil to flow from the machine, through the hole created in the bed, all the way to a catch basin on the ground. Trying to change oil in his welding machine is what led us to the E-Z plugs. We were previously using a pump to remove the used oil through the oil refill hole at the top of the machine, and were unable to get a complete drain.
04-15-2021, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #22309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried twice to place an order for the $698 KP with free Flashpoint round head on Adorama. Both times, after entering my payment information and thinking I had one on the way, I got an email the next morning saying the item was no longer available.
Oh well, I would need to spend another $55 for the large grip anyhow, since Ricoh only included the small grip in the recent production. Fast forward to yesterday and I spied a 1600 shutter count KP with all three grips, OE battery and two aftermarket cells for $650 shipped here on Marketplace. Yea, it is on the way to PA. I just can’t stand the high ISO noise in images from my K-3, and I shoot in less than ideal light all the time. So, I will now have a black KP to go with my 30,000 plus click silver. I can justify $650 to the wife, but $2200(6% tax inc.) for the K-3iii is a no-go.

04-15-2021, 06:38 AM - 3 Likes   #22310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Bought a used K-1 + very nice Sigma 85 and other goodies here on PF - have added a DFA 28-105 to use much like I use the 18-135 on my K-3 as a walk around lens.

And I also picked up a like brand new (including the box) Pentax KA 2X teleconverter. I'm hoping it can serve dual use with both my Super Program and my K-1 for further reach off my venerable Pentax KA 70-210. Maybe see what it does behind my DA 55-300 on the K-3? I know the vast majority of 3rd party teleconverters are crap; I am hoping this Pentax version does less harm than simply cropping. I don't do a lot of long telephoto photography, so when money and opportunity align for a good long lens I'll pick it up. Meanwhile, my priority is for something wider than 28mm for my FF cameras.
04-15-2021, 12:06 PM - 3 Likes   #22311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minty HD FA 35mm f2.0 for £250 arrived yesterday. Do I really need another standard lens? Probably not, but it is a step up from the DA 35mm f2.4 in every way, and offers faster focusing, better sharpness at f2.8, plus the extra stop of speed over the DA 35mm F2.8 Ltd. Is it worth the extra money new over the DA 35mm f2.4, probably not , but used at this price I reckon so.
04-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #22312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Bought a used K-1 + very nice Sigma 85 and other goodies here on PF - have added a DFA 28-105 to use much like I use the 18-135 on my K-3 as a walk around lens.

And I also picked up a like brand new (including the box) Pentax KA 2X teleconverter. I'm hoping it can serve dual use with both my Super Program and my K-1 for further reach off my venerable Pentax KA 70-210. Maybe see what it does behind my DA 55-300 on the K-3? I know the vast majority of 3rd party teleconverters are crap; I am hoping this Pentax version does less harm than simply cropping. I don't do a lot of long telephoto photography, so when money and opportunity align for a good long lens I'll pick it up. Meanwhile, my priority is for something wider than 28mm for my FF cameras.
I have a K1 and the 28-105, both of which I like very much. The 28-105 IMO punches above it's weight, but that also goes for the K1. The Sigma 85mm is a lens I haven't had much experience with, but I have seen other's results using this lens and I think you will enjoy this one, a lot.

04-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #22313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote

I remember that deal! You beat me! LOL! How is the Sigma? I kind of want one but I've never seen it in the Marketplace
04-15-2021, 04:51 PM - 3 Likes   #22314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a K1 and the 28-105, both of which I like very much. The 28-105 IMO punches above it's weight, but that also goes for the K1. The Sigma 85mm is a lens I haven't had much experience with, but I have seen other's results using this lens and I think you will enjoy this one, a lot.
The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG is an amazingly sharp lens. And this copy is pristine. I took one test shot with it of one of our cats when I received the camera. Auto everything just to verify things worked. Point and shoot. I pixel peeped on the image with as much zoom as allowed on the K-1 playback screen and the 3/4 view of the cat's eye remained incredibly sharp, cornea, iris & pupil.

All that said, I don't see myself using this lens enough to justify keeping it. I do little in terms of portraiture or studio shooting where this lens would shine. My biggest interest is scenic near and far, and to a lesser extent, wildlife. I will use the DFA 28-105 a lot. I have KA, F & FA (and a couple useable DA) lenses, to cover the subjects and focal lengths I would most use. What I could use more are decent AF FF lenses below 28mm and above 105mm. Don't be surprised to see the Sigma 85 show up in the market for sale or trade.
04-16-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #22315
Pentaxian

My latest Pentax-related acquisition is a replacement ballhead for my Peak Design Tripod. Something happened to the lock on the previous one, it had increased friction. Asking Peak Design about advice on repairs, they came through as usual and decided to send me a replacement under warranty.

I also got, as a loaner, a Kenko Black Mist 0.5 filter. That's a very cool one, it creates halos around light sources and soften images of backlit subjects, to create cool (they call it cinematic) effects.

Plus I got myself a few Irix filters to experiment with, they seem well made at a fraction of the price of some other brands.
04-16-2021, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #22316
Pentaxian

First lens since Februari
Panagor PMC Auto macro 55mm 1:3 Komine made

Focus rubber was turning freely. One drop of glue remedied it.
04-16-2021, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stopped in at Harbor Freight today. Got one of those headlamps. Not just anyone though. This once can output up to 900 lumens. Can focus the beam too. This should light the way for me. Two battery packs. One rechargeable and one that holds 4 AA batteries. They can be mounted either at the rear of the head strap or on your belt using the included extension cable. Even has a mode where I can turn it on or off with the wave of my hand. Pretty handy. Will fit over a hardhat too. Should come in handy while camping.
04-16-2021, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #22318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If FedEx ever gets it across the country successfully, I have two Olympus OM-1 cameras with lenses coming from Shop Goodwill. Kinda scared to see whether the condition matches the photos.
04-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #22319
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
First lens since Februari
Panagor PMC Auto macro 55mm 1:3 Komine made

Focus rubber was turning freely. One drop of glue remedied it.

I thought this was a 1:1 macro lens?
04-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #22320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I thought this was a 1:1 macro lens?
Maybe 1:3 refers to max aperture, but the macro ratio is 1:1? That's what I infer from the pic