Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2021, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #22381
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lately I've been buying some watches. Bought an Alpha chronograph which is an homage of the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and built a couple of watches. Right now, I'm in the process of building a watch based on the ETA 6498 with a self-painted starfield dial.

04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #22382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I can't understand the attraction to modern DSLRs in silver - they just look tacky.
Depends, modern cameras which are totally made out of plastic look tacky to me in silver, especially when the paint scratches and they start "brassing" to black! But if it's magnesium or similar, or at least mostly so, I think they have a really cool look, or at least Pentax ones do, because they're more angular and visually pleasing.
04-26-2021, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #22383

Picked up a ten pack of Peeps for 70% off
04-27-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #22384
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest acquisition is a set of magnetic filters from K&F Concept. That company is not as well known as some others, but seems to do quality products. I'll be testing them thoroughly of course. The convenience of magnetic filters (which youdon't have to screw, and can swap quickly between lenses) is not to be overstated. Once you've tasted it, it's hard to go back. They're also much slimmer.

04-27-2021, 07:27 AM   #22385
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Waiting for a used Tamrac model 706 bag on ebay. I have one of these from the 1980's and it is still my preferred gear bag with its fold-out waist belt. This new-to-me version is from the early 1990's with a top carry handle. I've carried 20+ pounds / 10kg of gear up and down a mountain trail. Gear is easily accessed while standing and the belt distributes the weight across more of your body and keeps the bag from swinging into your surroundings. There are also straps to carry a small tripod.

Too bad Tamrac no longer makes this bag.
04-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #22386
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

picked up 2 Canvas react plus kits

Kingston SD cards [ not the micro sd cards ]

64 gb up to 300MB UHS-II 10 U 3 V 90 cards plus UHS II SD reader

for Slot # 1 of my K 3 III

this review is for the micro SD card

QuoteQuote:
Overall the Kingston Canvas React Plus 64GB card performed exceptionally well and was quite impressive for such a large-capacity card. Retailing at under $60 (at time of publication), this 64GB kit is a great value for anyone looking to add another high-capacity UHS-II microSD as well as a USB 3.2 UHS-II compatible microSD reader. This combo seriously impressed me with its performance. For that reason, I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a high-quality, high-capacity SD card for their DSLR, action camera, or drone.
https://proclockers.com/review/review-kingston-canvas-react-plus-64gb-microsdxc-uhs-ii-kit/2/

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-27-2021 at 07:43 AM.
04-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #22387
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My latest acquisition is a set of magnetic filters from K&F Concept. That company is not as well known as some others, but seems to do quality products. I'll be testing them thoroughly of course. The convenience of magnetic filters (which youdon't have to screw, and can swap quickly between lenses) is not to be overstated. Once you've tasted it, it's hard to go back. They're also much slimmer.
also on the topic of K&F - their lens adapters are impressive for their price-point ..

04-27-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #22388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Lately I've been buying some watches. Bought an Alpha chronograph which is an homage of the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and built a couple of watches. Right now, I'm in the process of building a watch based on the ETA 6498 with a self-painted starfield dial.
That's cool! I started getting a taste for watches, I refuse to let it become another expensive hobby though - I started out with a Momentum quartz diver and added a Timex Todd Snyder military... but then I realized automatics existed. After a lot of research on affordable automatics which nonetheless have a bit of pedigree, I ended up with an Orient Ray II, and I'm really happy with it. It will be quite a while before I let myself look at any more watches (really like the Orient Triton/Neptune, but I'm satisfied).
04-27-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #22389
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
That's cool! I started getting a taste for watches, I refuse to let it become another expensive hobby though - I started out with a Momentum quartz diver and added a Timex Todd Snyder military... but then I realized automatics existed. After a lot of research on affordable automatics which nonetheless have a bit of pedigree, I ended up with an Orient Ray II, and I'm really happy with it. It will be quite a while before I let myself look at any more watches (really like the Orient Triton/Neptune, but I'm satisfied).
Unfortunately I've been spending more on this than I'd like. And out of the watches I've been trying to build, I've yet to build a dress watch... So I bought a cheapish Seiko and a leather strap so I have one. After this, I think I'm done. Back to saving for the K-3III
04-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #22390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
also on the topic of K&F - their lens adapters are impressive for their price-point ..
I have two Gobe brand adapters, one is PKA-NEX and other is Nikon-NEX. They look identical to the K&F equivalents, work perfectly and are similarly priced (also sold from a local distributor so delivery is 2-4 days, rather than K&F from China in two weeks.
04-27-2021, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #22391
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
With all of the hype around the new K3-III I got the buying itch and ended with a used K1 from KEH. Also picked up an M 24/2.8. Now I'm eyeing the new HD Limiteds (probably a 77/1.8 first).

Unfortunately the K1 has the mode dial failure so after playing with it for a couple days it's back to KEH for repairs
There was a K 24/2.8 and an A, I think, but definitely no M. Ms were 28mm and 20mm, nothing in between.
04-27-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #22392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have two Gobe brand adapters, one is PKA-NEX and other is Nikon-NEX. They look identical to the K&F equivalents, work perfectly and are similarly priced (also sold from a local distributor so delivery is 2-4 days, rather than K&F from China in two weeks.
04-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #22393
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I normally buy my adapters through Amazon, so they show up in a few days...
04-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #22394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There was a K 24/2.8 and an A, I think, but definitely no M. Ms were 28mm and 20mm, nothing in between.
Oh yep, you're right. It's the K version (well I assume since it just says "SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm" on the front).

Seems nice enough but I've only tried it on APS-C so far since the K1 went back to the repair center before the lens arrived.
04-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #22395

K&F Concept 72mm Filtro ND Variable ND2~ND400 (9 Pasos).

PATONA 2X Premium Bateria D-Li90 Compatible con Pentax 645D K-01 K-3 K-5 K-7.