Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #22441
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
It looks like it is in Groningen
Looks like your car in that street (check the plate)

05-06-2021, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #22442
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Racer

You mean that NONE of the "better ones" are actually drivable?

Sell a couple, or more, of the real rustbuckets to get around $15k-$20k as that'll give you the cash needed to do up some of the "better ones" - and maybe even enough to do up some of the "lesser rustbuckets" or more "middling" ones

That way you get at least several decent and drivable ones - and lessen the probability of even more rustbuckets in the future

Otherwise you'll eventually end up with a yard full of the sort of long-forgotten and decrepid vehicles like I've seen on quite a few "chasing classic cars" US TV shows.

My son got the foolish delusion that he could restore a Ford Falcon convertible for cruising around on a sunny day. I told him there are SIX THINGS required if you are going to do automotive restoration, If you are missing any one of them, the project will never be completed. They are:

1) knowledge;
2) skill;

3) tools, some of which are dedicated to the particular model you're trying to restore;
4) a warm, well lit, spacious all-weather place to work;
5) lots of free time;
6) lots of expendable cash.

He was missing all six, so the Falcon was eventually sold many years later essentially in the same condition that he bought it, but at a profit (slight).
05-06-2021, 07:48 PM - 3 Likes   #22443
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Racer

You mean that NONE of the "better ones" are actually drivable?
I have two that are driveable, and three that were driven to where they have been sitting for 16 years.

These two are driveable, but need to be inspected and have things like belts, hoses and brakes sorted first. I pulled the brown one out of storage last August and cleaned it up, took stock of what it will need and gathered a pile of stuff to get it safe to operate again.

Otherwise you'll eventually end up with a yard full of the sort of long-forgotten and decrepid vehicles like I've seen on quite a few "chasing classic cars" US TV shows.
I already have this.

There are 8 cars in this picture.

Honest.
05-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #22444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
These two are driveable
cool they 280s or 240s?

05-06-2021, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #22445

Getting the K3 III means, for the first time, I have a spare camera body (K3 II). So I decided I needed another tripod in case I had both cameras going at once (I want to do this for comparison). My old tripod is a Monoprice carbon fiber which was discontinued shortly after I bought it. I'd buy it again if I had the option.

I saw Neewer had carbon fiber tripods for $110 with a ball head and decided to give it a shot. After one use, I'm happy with it. While it's not the greatest tripod, it definitely will do what I need it to do (which is mostly sit on the shelf waiting to be used). The Monoprice tripod is heftier but also cost as much and didn't come with a head. The Neewer head is adequate so it won't get tossed. If you need a tripod every couple of months, it seems to be a good one to consider. Haven't tried the 70-200 f/2.8 or 150-500mm but it did fine with the 24-70mm f/2.8.

amazon.com : Neewer 66 inches/168 centimeters Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod Monopod with 360 Degree Ball Head, 1/4 inch Quick Shoe Plate and Bag for DSLR Camera Video Camcorder Travel and Work?tag=pentaxforums-20&Load up to 33lbs/15kg : Camera & Photo
05-06-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #22446
Pentaxian

Went for my second covid inoculation on Wednesday and went into a couple of charity shops on my way home. In one of them I got a Wallace Heaton 135/2.8 in M42 for £3 and a Minolta 110 SLR (the second version, see the site below) for a fiver. The lens had a little fungus in the rear element which turned out to be very easy to clean, the camera has some fungus in the zoom, which is unfortunately not removable, and locked up solid as soon as I tried to take a picture. But even if I assume the camera is worthless their combined cost is a fairly good price for a working 135mm lens, so I'm reasonably content.

Minolta 110 Zoom SLR MKII Review - Photo Jottings
05-07-2021, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #22447
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
cool they 280s or 240s?
Both are 240Zs, the red one is a 71, and has been a race car since 1979, the brown one is a 72, bought for Mrs. Racer 1.0, kept in the divorce.

I paid $3,000 for the race car in 1989, and $2,000 for the brown one in 1992.

Both cars are worth over $25,000 each today.

05-07-2021, 04:21 AM   #22448
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

A Datsun 240 Z was my dream car

QuoteQuote:
Tested: 1970 Datsun 240Z
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15143644/datsun-240z-road-test/

I never even got to drive or ride in one

[ my family had a Datsun 510 station wagon with manual when I was in high school in the early '70s, it is what my dad used to teach me how to drive, he said that if I learned how to handle a manual, I could drive anything with gears ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-07-2021 at 04:27 AM.
05-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #22449
Veteran Member

I'm buying weights to work out with. Its a slow process as weights are super expensive during the pandemic.
so far i have the following
5lbs dumbbells
8lbs dumbbells
15lbs dumbbells (en route, haven't received them yet)
20lbs dumbbells
25lbs dumbbells
30lbs dumbbells (en route, haven't received them yet)
35lbs dumbbells (en route, haven't received them yet)

debating on picking up 40, and 45s too.
will be buying another 110lbs in plates and barebell, and a bench within the month.

last time i worked out was in 2019, so my muscles really need the extra weights!
05-07-2021, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #22450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have two that are driveable, and three that were driven to where they have been sitting for 16 years.

These two are driveable, but need to be inspected and have things like belts, hoses and brakes sorted first. I pulled the brown one out of storage last August and cleaned it up, took stock of what it will need and gathered a pile of stuff to get it safe to operate again.

I already have this.

There are 8 cars in this picture.

Honest.
Oh man, I love the styling of old Datsuns so much...
05-07-2021, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #22451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both are 240Zs, the red one is a 71, and has been a race car since 1979, the brown one is a 72, bought for Mrs. Racer 1.0, kept in the divorce.

I paid $3,000 for the race car in 1989, and $2,000 for the brown one in 1992.

Both cars are worth over $25,000 each today.
Those are such classics.
My brother used to have a sweet 240. He races a 300z now in a spec league. He won the series in 2019.
05-07-2021, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #22452
Pentaxian

Both are 240Zs
kewl beans! sweet lil rides and definitely worth a pretty penny!
05-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #22453
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I read someplace that when it comes to collecting 'stuff' that isn't regularly used, especially as we age we need to ask ourselves what our inheritors will do with our 'stuff'. Will they value and keep it? Will they make an effort to reclaim the market value (and does it have any market value)? Or will they give it away, or worse pay someone to drop-off an oversized dumpster and haul it away? If you want ANY say in how your 'stuff' is disposed of, do it before you die. And if you suspect your inheritors will hire a dumpster, do you really want to leave them that chore?

We now spend part of each year sorting our unused treasures, deciding which will end up in a landfill if left to the kids, and disposing of them as we see fit before the kids do it.
Having just worked through this for my Father-in-laws estate I agree 110 %
05-09-2021, 02:28 AM   #22454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I saw Neewer had carbon fiber tripods for $110 with a ball head and decided to give it a shot. After one use, I'm happy with it. While it's not the greatest tripod, it definitely will do what I need it to do (which is mostly sit on the shelf waiting to be used). The Monoprice tripod is heftier but also cost as much and didn't come with a head. The Neewer head is adequate so it won't get tossed. If you need a tripod every couple of months, it seems to be a good one to consider. Haven't tried the 70-200 f/2.8 or 150-500mm but it did fine with the 24-70mm f/2.8.
Thank you for passing on this info. My Benbo Trekker lurks in my van 24/7 for when I need a reasonably portable tripod. Unfortunately it is a later production unit with poor manufacturing standards and is now beginning to fall apart (my Benbo Classic is another matter entirely and rock solid, but somewhat hefty). So, I have ordered one of these Neewers based on your observations, so if it turns out to be a pile of "£$ I know who to blame LOL. Joking aside it does look to do all I would ask of it at a ridiculously low price and the monopod facility is a clever addition, which may well see more use than the tripod itself.

---------- Post added 05-09-21 at 02:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I read someplace that when it comes to collecting 'stuff' that isn't regularly used, especially as we age we need to ask ourselves what our inheritors will do with our 'stuff'. Will they value and keep it? Will they make an effort to reclaim the market value (and does it have any market value)? Or will they give it away, or worse pay someone to drop-off an oversized dumpster and haul it away? If you want ANY say in how your 'stuff' is disposed of, do it before you die. And if you suspect your inheritors will hire a dumpster, do you really want to leave them that chore?

We now spend part of each year sorting our unused treasures, deciding which will end up in a landfill if left to the kids, and disposing of them as we see fit before the kids do it.
I have been through this sad chore myself a few years ago for my Aunt's estate and am now doing the same for my father's. Hopefully I still have many years left but when I reach 65, I will start reducing my collection of stuff to a minimum. I do not mind so much the recycling of their possessions and the time that involves, but it very is sobering to see the amount of otherwise perfectly good stuff that just gets trashed because nobody can be found that wants it in the time one has available to sort it all out.
I will leave my photographic stuff to a local camera club and college to do with as they see fit. My bikes can also be thankfully given to charity. I fear though my records, CD's and fishing tackle will be almost worthless.
05-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #22455

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Thank you for passing on this info. My Benbo Trekker lurks in my van 24/7 for when I need a reasonably portable tripod. Unfortunately it is a later production unit with poor manufacturing standards and is now beginning to fall apart (my Benbo Classic is another matter entirely and rock solid, but somewhat hefty). So, I have ordered one of these Neewers based on your observations, so if it turns out to be a pile of "£$ I know who to blame LOL. Joking aside it does look to do all I would ask of it at a ridiculously low price and the monopod facility is a clever addition, which may well see more use than the tripod itself.
Let me know what you think once you get it.

The monopod setup is fairly common for the price range but I find it a bit cumbersome. My wife had a lower quality tripod with that setup and she had issues with the monopod getting lose where the two pieces screw together. Due to other issues, she no longer has that tripod and she now has a dedicated monopod. Maybe the Neewer will be better in that regard but it's not something I have a reason to use.