Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #22561
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! Really glad to be back. Graduated from using a walker, to a cane, and now finally no need for either, and can now use my new equpment!

05-24-2021, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #22562
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just got winning bid on a Minolta AF 100/2.8 Macro (2nd version aka RS)... Great price as per what I've seen posted around. This lens should be a sweet little performer - if it is as good as the Minolta AF 50/2.8, I will be in love...
05-24-2021, 10:26 AM - 7 Likes   #22563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been eyeing a 20-40 Limited for some time now. I think it might suit me well but had not gotten one yet due to cost and that I was shooting my K-1 more than my old K-3 in recent years. But I got that K-3iii not long ago and it re-sparked my interest in the 20-40. My new body is silver so I thought that would look pretty cool to have a silver one but when they went on sale recently at the usual places I only saw the black version on sale. I almost bought one but resisted, especially since I got my old 16-50 up and running again with the screwdrive conversion. But today I saw the silver one for the same price as the black one and could no longer fight the urge. I also just got paid for some stock ice skating photos I took over the winter that are going into a vacation guide that will soften the financial blow considerably.
So I have a silver 20-40 coming now. I am weak.
05-24-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #22564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I know how these vague descriptions can be - I'm expecting a job lot of M42 gear which was described as including two 135mm lenses, but from the pictures I'm sure that one of them is actually a 35mm lens - doesn't matter, I can use it either way, but I really wish people could get these things right.
And in the event it was a 135 and a 28, both of them faulty, so I've returned the lot for a refund.

But on Sunday I went to a car boot fair and got a very nice Tamron 100-300 f5-6.3 for Minolta AF for a tenner, and an Olympus OM Zuiko 50/1.8 for a fiver. Unfortunately the latter had a small problem - bird pooh all over the rear element, which I eventually managed to clean off but seems to have etched the glass milky white - it's even corroded the metal! I saw that there was a problem but gambled it was cleanable and lost. Should still be able to sell it for spares / repairs for a few pounds, but won't be as profitable as I'd hoped.

05-25-2021, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #22565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coming tomorrow is a backup camera system for my RV trailer and truck. Truck cam without a backup camera and it will make hitching the trailer much easier. I will use the camera on the trailer to monitor traffic behind me more than actually backing up the trailer. All wireless. Trailer is already wired for a camera so no problems there.
05-25-2021, 07:22 AM - 4 Likes   #22566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Found a used Pentax 645 DFA 25mm ultrawide lens. These are rare. They were very difficult to manufacture consistently and Pentax replaced it with a redesigned crop version. My copy came from a PentaxForums member and there were lots of photos proving it's stellar image quality. I'm jazzed. This is the most expensive Pentax lens I own, even surpassing the A* 200 macro.
Thanks,
barondla
05-25-2021, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Found a used Pentax 645 DFA 25mm ultrawide lens. These are rare. They were very difficult to manufacture consistently and Pentax replaced it with a redesigned crop version. My copy came from a PentaxForums member and there were lots of photos proving it's stellar image quality. I'm jazzed. This is the most expensive Pentax lens I own, even surpassing the A* 200 macro.
Thanks,
barondla
I thought the two versions of the 25mm were identical except for different hoods. Congratulations on the acquisition!

05-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #22568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I thought the two versions of the 25mm were identical except for different hoods. Congratulations on the acquisition!
Thanks. Apparently there are other differences. On another thread they were pictured together and there other differences between the two lenses. Spending this amount of money, I wanted full frame. In case Pentax goes ff d8gital 645 in the future. It also gives the option of a wider lens on a Pentax 645 film body.

The DFA 25 is a beautiful lens. Finally managed a couple of hours yesterday to shoot it. Love it. Now that I own a 25, Pentax is sure to bring out a 20!

Thanks,
barondla
05-26-2021, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #22569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks,
barondla
Nice. I still have an eBay alert for that lens but it's always more money than I'm willing to spend. Maybe one day...
05-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #22570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Apparently there are other differences. On another thread they were pictured together and there other differences between the two lenses. Spending this amount of money, I wanted full frame. In case Pentax goes ff d8gital 645 in the future. It also gives the option of a wider lens on a Pentax 645 film body.

The DFA 25 is a beautiful lens. Finally managed a couple of hours yesterday to shoot it. Love it. Now that I own a 25, Pentax is sure to bring out a 20!

Thanks,
barondla
I found the source of my impression that the two lenses are essentially identical. i have never used or even seen either version of the lens, so have no knowledge of my own, but see below:

QUOTE FROM PENTAX LENS REVIEWS:
It is identical to its D-FA series predecessor, except that its lens hood has been stretched to give better results on digital Pentax 645 bodies. As a consequence this lens will now produce vignetting on Pentax 645 film bodies, so you should go for the D-FA version if you also shoot film. This professional lens is fully weather-sealed and features silent autofocus.
UNQUOTE

It does seem strange to change the lens name/designation for such a simple change.
05-26-2021, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #22571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rare bird- from KEH - Pentax Sigma 4.5mm DG EX HSM circular fisheye for APSC, if it ever arrives. Fed Ex held it five days in suburban Atlanta.
05-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #22572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thanks. Love it so far. In this thread Mike & Ed compare the two 25's. Notice the size difference of the 2 front elements and Adam's comment.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/368391-25mms-vis...-examples.html

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 05-26-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Forgot link.
05-27-2021, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #22573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Love it so far. In this thread Mike & Ed compare the two 25's. Notice the size difference of the 2 front elements and Adam's comment.25mms - visually comparing DFA and DA examples - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
barondla
Mysteries and enigmas make the photography avocation more interesting (avocation, not hobby, that is too frivolous a word). This mystery is actually outside my real interest area since I tend to concentrate on flowers with normal through long macro lenses.
05-27-2021, 04:08 AM   #22574
Pentaxian

DFA 28-105....I kept reading the rave reviews on this forum and decided to go for one when I saw a nicely priced used copy online. Only used it once so far but I think it'll be a great lens to take on walks and hikes.
05-27-2021, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #22575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've been eyeing a 20-40 Limited for some time now. I think it might suit me well but had not gotten one yet due to cost and that I was shooting my K-1 more than my old K-3 in recent years. But I got that K-3iii not long ago and it re-sparked my interest in the 20-40. My new body is silver so I thought that would look pretty cool to have a silver one but when they went on sale recently at the usual places I only saw the black version on sale. I almost bought one but resisted, especially since I got my old 16-50 up and running again with the screwdrive conversion. But today I saw the silver one for the same price as the black one and could no longer fight the urge. I also just got paid for some stock ice skating photos I took over the winter that are going into a vacation guide that will soften the financial blow considerably.
So I have a silver 20-40 coming now. I am weak.
I recently got one of these (in black) and I think you'll like it. When I look it up in Flickr many of the initial images that appear are snowy landscapes that are right up your street. Unusually for me, my overall impressions are taking some time to form but it is nice to use, sharp and with good colour and contrast. It's also slow to focus and the potential for shallow depth of field is a bit limited. It's an unusual one for sure.

Make sure to test for de-centring - there seem to be quite a few complaints around of copies being softer on one side.