Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20313 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 05:29 AM - 2 Likes   #22576
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
DFA 28-105....I kept reading the rave reviews on this forum and decided to go for one when I saw a nicely priced used copy online. Only used it once so far but I think it'll be a great lens to take on walks and hikes.
It's a hard lens not to like. Maybe not unique as a Limited but reliable, trustworthy, excellent IQ, versatile, a fine lens.

05-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #22577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Newest arrival is a set of loaners to review the new HD FA Limited. It's rare that I get so many new toys at one time, expensive ones too!

So many nice boxes.
Wow, lucky you!

Ned Bunnell just finished several weeks with the K-3 III with his FA 31 and then the HD FA 31mm posted on Instagram. Then he had to send them back.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 05-27-2021 at 09:13 AM.
05-27-2021, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #22578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Wow, lucky you!

Ned Bunnell just finished several weeks with the K-3 III with his FA 31 and then the HD FA 31mm posted on Instagram. Then he had to send them back.
Expect the in-depth review to come soon!
05-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #22579
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I read someplace that when it comes to collecting 'stuff' that isn't regularly used, especially as we age we need to ask ourselves what our inheritors will do with our 'stuff'. Will they value and keep it? Will they make an effort to reclaim the market value (and does it have any market value)? Or will they give it away, or worse pay someone to drop-off an oversized dumpster and haul it away? If you want ANY say in how your 'stuff' is disposed of, do it before you die. And if you suspect your inheritors will hire a dumpster, do you really want to leave them that chore?

We now spend part of each year sorting our unused treasures, deciding which will end up in a landfill if left to the kids, and disposing of them as we see fit before the kids do it.

I really wish my parents would adopt that philosophy. They used to buy/restore/sell high end antique furniture, but often kept more than they sold.

I love my mom and know some of the pieces are fairly valuable, but massive Victorian furniture doesn’t fit my decor and I don’t want to have to deal with trying to sell that stuff.

05-28-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #22580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I installed the rear camera on my RV trailer yesterday. Seems to work fine while stationary. The real test will be when towing. Installation was "interesting". The trailer was camera ready. Once I removed the blank to install a mount I found something like 6 feet of cable stuffed into the little space. Why six feet of cable was there when 6 inches was ll that was needed is beyond me.

I still have the rear view camera to install on my pickup as it did not come with one. It mounts using the top license plate screws. I need to decide if I want it on all the time or only when in reverse. Leaning toward reverse only.
05-28-2021, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #22581
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisition is an antique fly press, to facilitate my Damascus billet development. I just picked it up this afternoon; at a weight of about 200kg, picking it up was no small task

My current work in progress is 179 layers of steel. I wish I had this press before I started it....
05-28-2021, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #22582
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I installed the rear camera on my RV trailer yesterday. Seems to work fine while stationary. The real test will be when towing. Installation was "interesting". The trailer was camera ready. Once I removed the blank to install a mount I found something like 6 feet of cable stuffed into the little space. Why six feet of cable was there when 6 inches was ll that was needed is beyond me.

I still have the rear view camera to install on my pickup as it did not come with one. It mounts using the top license plate screws. I need to decide if I want it on all the time or only when in reverse. Leaning toward reverse only.
We bought an older very small fully self-contained travel trailer a year ago. While our tow vehicle has a factory back-up camera, it is not centered over the hitch. Just like shooting with a rangefinder camera, you have to account for the parallax - sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. As for the travel trailer; it is small enough that most times I don't need an eye behind it. However, when I do and a spotter either isn't available or reliable, I figured out an interesting way to see behind the trailer.

I have a small wi-fi router that can run off a 12vdc > 120vac inverter inside the trailer. While I also have a cellular modem, it isn't needed for this purpose; just the local wi-fi network. I have my wife's older Android cellphone (no cellular connection) and a strong vacuum mount for that phone. There is an Android app 'ScreenStream' (guessing that iOS might have something similar) that will send whatever the phone's camera sees to another Android phone on the same local network running the same app. I just suction mount the old phone to the back wall of the trailer such that I can just see the width of the trailer's bumper and beyond. And my phone is on the tow vehicle dashboard. Pouring rain might be an issue for the outside phone, but a plastic sandwich bag with a hole for the camera works fine for lighter weather. The vacuum mount works well, but there is always some fiddling to aim the camera. One of these days I will create a permanent magnetic mount on the trailer so all I have to do is stick the phone to the mount and start the camera app. BTW, "ScreenStream" shows whatever is on the sending phone's screen; it just so happens that what I use is the phone's video camera. My total additional investment so far is less than US$15.

05-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #22583
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the Auto-Takumar 55/18 arrived yesterday:

05-28-2021, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #22584
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the Auto-Takumar 55/18 arrived yesterday:

That looks like the later Super Takumar series. The AM switch is the indicator and was the same in the later SMC Takumar. The Auto Takumar of the late 50s had a quite different switch.
05-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #22585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That looks like the later Super Takumar series. The AM switch is the indicator and was the same in the later SMC Takumar. The Auto Takumar of the late 50s had a quite different switch.
The reversed f-stop sequence should give some indication of the vintage as well.
05-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #22586
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The reversed f-stop sequence should give some indication of the vintage as well.

aye - the combination of 6-blades (rather than 10), reversed aperture ring, and focus ring ribs like the later Super Takumar all point to the 1962 version (and last) of the Auto-Takumar 55mm....
05-29-2021, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #22587
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just got the Expert Shield for my K 3 III rear monitor

https://shop.expertshield.com/Pentax_K-3_III_GLASS

they will ship the crystal clear top protector for free to me when they have developed it
05-29-2021, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #22588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest acquisition may turn out to not be. Thanks to FedEx, the anticipated arrival of a K 35mm f2.0 is now in the balance. They have lost it. Having spent some considerable time trying to contact customer services via the website and getting useless circular algorithmic answers, I finally managed to find a customer phone line which took ages to answer my call. After apologies from the CS advisor I was told the matter would be escalated and hopefully my package would arrive within a week. Opening up my Email I see a request from them asking me to describe to them the outer appearance of the package to aid them in their search. Apparently I am blessed with extrasensory perception and able to describe something I have not seen yet. I have contacted the supplier and told them of the problem and they have promised to chase FedEx from their end, but judging from the level of competence displayed so far, I fear it is a case of living in hope rather than expectation of the lens turning up at all.
05-29-2021, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #22589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential new film user?

I just purchased a nice black Pentax MX camera body from a forum member here.

My daughter has shown interest in adopting it, but I've heard that from her before.

We live in hope...

Chris
05-29-2021, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #22590
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

recently returned after a repair & CLA; I realized that I had never posted SMU shots of her: