Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #22591
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
aye - the combination of 6-blades (rather than 10), reversed aperture ring, and focus ring ribs like the later Super Takumar all point to the 1962 version (and last) of the Auto-Takumar 55mm....
Looks just like my v1 (early) Super Tak 55/1.8.
  • Flat style focus grip
  • Fine rib aperture ring with reversed direction
  • line-dot index mark
Serial# 832885 which Takumarology pins to ~1962-1963.

Steve

05-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #22592
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looks just like my v1 (early) Super Tak 55/1.8.
  • Flat style focus grip
  • Fine rib aperture ring with reversed direction
  • line-dot index mark
Serial# 832885 which Takumarology pins to ~1962-1963.

Steve
agreed - there is not much to differentiate my Auto-Tak from the following year's Super Tak; I did notice the typeface/font is a bit different also:

05-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #22593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My latest acquisition is an antique fly press, to facilitate my Damascus billet development. I just picked it up this afternoon; at a weight of about 200kg, picking it up was no small task

My current work in progress is 179 layers of steel. I wish I had this press before I started it....
Fly presses are deceptively capable. I'd like to see a picture, even if you don't have enough SMUs.

I also want to know how/why 179 layers, because 179 is a prime number and I thought you got to large numbers by folding and refolding.
05-30-2021, 02:20 AM - 4 Likes   #22594
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I also want to know how/why 179 layers, because 179 is a prime number and I thought you got to large numbers by folding and refolding.
Two 11 layer billets of 1095 and 15N20 ( a total of about 1kg of steel), each forged down to a third of their thickness, then stacked together to make 22 layers. That was again squished to about 10mm thickness and cut into four and re-stacked to make an 88 layer billet. I then forged that down to a huge, long billet about 450mm long, 50mm wide and 4mm thick.

Two slices of that, with a thin layer of 15N20 in between, and a layer of wrought iron (recycled from an antique wagon wheel) on each side, makes 179.

It's still a work in progress, but after many more hours of forging, grinding, etching and handle fitting, it's the bottom of the two knives pictured here in this impromptu iPhone image:

Attached Images

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-30-2021 at 02:26 AM.
05-30-2021, 04:18 AM   #22595
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two 11 layer billets of 1095 and 15N20 ( a total of about 1kg of steel), each forged down to a third of their thickness, then stacked together to make 22 layers. That was again squished to about 10mm thickness and cut into four and re-stacked to make an 88 layer billet. I then forged that down to a huge, long billet about 450mm long, 50mm wide and 4mm thick.

Two slices of that, with a thin layer of 15N20 in between, and a layer of wrought iron (recycled from an antique wagon wheel) on each side, makes 179.

It's still a work in progress, but after many more hours of forging, grinding, etching and handle fitting, it's the bottom of the two knives pictured here in this impromptu iPhone image:
Very impressive Sandy! I've seen knife-making (a friend has made a few) but never Damascus blades.
05-30-2021, 04:38 AM   #22596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a lot of work!
05-30-2021, 04:42 AM   #22597
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . It's still a work in progress, but after many more hours of forging, grinding, etching and handle fitting, it's the bottom of the two knives pictured here in this impromptu iPhone image:
impressive Sandy

you should contact the producers of " forge and fire " and take a trip to the states

Forged in Fire (TV series) - Wikipedia.

but don't be like this guy

QuoteQuote:
The 2017 Cohoes fire was a non-fatality fire that destroyed three residential buildings and affected 28 others in Cohoes, New York. Damage was estimated to be at least $4 million.[1][2] The fire started on November 30, 2017 when a local resident, John Gomes, attempted to imitate a metalworking technique from the History Channel series Forged in Fire. Flames from a burn-barrel he was using were spread by wind to adjacent structures.[3]

Gomes was charged with counts of felony arson and reckless endangerment, and released after posting bail. Around 28 people, including Gomes, were displaced.[1] No deaths were reported. There were minor injuries, including a firefighter who was taken to a hospital.[3] Gomes pleaded guilty to arson and in June 2018, he was sentenced to one year in jail and a $600,000 fine.[4]
2017 Cohoes fire - Wikipedia

05-30-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #22598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest acquisition? - Sony ZV-1. Tiny. Great for Vlogging, making movies and selfies in fully automated mode. For more comfort I added a video cage with wooden grip. I'd like to have such a grip for my KP. ZV-1 stacked on the KP to perform some tests concerning field coverage at different focal lengths ...

05-30-2021, 05:20 AM   #22599
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
ZV-1 stacked on the KP to perform some tests concerning field coverage at different focal lengths ...
So I'm not the only crazy person (according to my spouse). To record a fireworks display, I stacked a JVC video camera to the hot shoe of my (then) K-30. I put the duo on a tripod on the hood of the car and brought a wired release for the K-30 into the car. There were huge swarms of hungry mosquitoes that evening. We sat insect-free inside and enjoyed the show with both video and still images to show others.
05-30-2021, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #22600
Loyal Site Supporter

So the latest acquisition: A 32" 4k monitor for my home photo editing, the Asus ProArt PA329C, replacing a very good 27" Viewsonic that will go to my office as a second display.
05-30-2021, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #22601
Pentaxian

A VERY good weekend in the car boot mines - things seem to be picking up now that London is coming out of lockdown and the weather is improving.

Friday I went to Portobello Road and picked up a nice clean SMC Pentax-M 80-200 1:4.5 (with caps, case, and filter) for £6. I also part-exchanged a couple of APS cameras and a fiver for some photo accessories including two Pentax 6x7 rear caps, a Vivitar telescope converter (turns a lens into a telescope) for Olympus OM, two Rolleiflex III filters, and some other caps etc.

Saturday there was one car boot sale, and I got a Minolta 404si and two pristine AF lenses for £20 - 70-210 1:4-5.6 and 35-80 1:4-5.6 , both with the original rear caps and hoods, and a Minolta carrying bag that will probably end up going to charity shop heaven.

And Sunday I hit three sales and got a Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6 for £15, a Tamron AF x2 teleconverter for Pentax for £20, and a set of extension tubes for Minolta AF for a fiver. The tubes are manual focus but support Minolta's electronic aperture control and AF confirm, so someone ought to find them useful.

Meanwhile job lots on eBay have been a little disappointing - I'll probably lose a little money on the two I got this week - and I think I'm going to cut way back on buying stuff that way. I did, however, get a very nice Sony Alpha A230 for £50.20 including postage, which will be replacing my old A100 as testbed for Sony and Minolta lenses.
05-31-2021, 12:06 AM   #22602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
So I'm not the only crazy person (according to my spouse). To record a fireworks display, I stacked a JVC video camera to the hot shoe of my (then) K-30. I put the duo on a tripod on the hood of the car and brought a wired release for the K-30 into the car. There were huge swarms of hungry mosquitoes that evening. We sat insect-free inside and enjoyed the show with both video and still images to show others.
I sometimes do weird experiments to answer the questions I have or get my theories proved or disproved. Guess my spouse also thinks I’m crazy - at least sometimes.

Your quarantine solution to get rid of the hungry mosquitoes sounds great. Hope I’ll remember when I’m in a similar situation.
05-31-2021, 06:41 AM   #22603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
A VERY good weekend in the car boot mines - things seem to be picking up now that London is coming out of lockdown and the weather is improving.

Friday I went to Portobello Road and picked up a nice clean SMC Pentax-M 80-200 1:4.5 (with caps, case, and filter) for £6. I also part-exchanged a couple of APS cameras and a fiver for some photo accessories including two Pentax 6x7 rear caps, a Vivitar telescope converter (turns a lens into a telescope) for Olympus OM, two Rolleiflex III filters, and some other caps etc.

Saturday there was one car boot sale, and I got a Minolta 404si and two pristine AF lenses for £20 - 70-210 1:4-5.6 and 35-80 1:4-5.6 , both with the original rear caps and hoods, and a Minolta carrying bag that will probably end up going to charity shop heaven.

And Sunday I hit three sales and got a Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6 for £15, a Tamron AF x2 teleconverter for Pentax for £20, and a set of extension tubes for Minolta AF for a fiver. The tubes are manual focus but support Minolta's electronic aperture control and AF confirm, so someone ought to find them useful.

Meanwhile job lots on eBay have been a little disappointing - I'll probably lose a little money on the two I got this week - and I think I'm going to cut way back on buying stuff that way. I did, however, get a very nice Sony Alpha A230 for £50.20 including postage, which will be replacing my old A100 as testbed for Sony and Minolta lenses.
Decent little haul that.
If you happen to come across a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 at a decent price could you let me know? 😁
05-31-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #22604
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Very impressive Sandy! I've seen knife-making (a friend has made a few) but never Damascus blades.
Yes - - but - - Is it sharper, will it cut better, will it hold an edge longer, will it take a new edge more easily than the $10 plastic-handled utility knife I recently purchased? There are two possible answers. 1) yes to all; and 2) that isn't the point.
05-31-2021, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #22605
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes - - but - - Is it sharper, will it cut better, will it hold an edge longer, will it take a new edge more easily than the $10 plastic-handled utility knife I recently purchased? There are two possible answers. 1) yes to all; and 2) that isn't the point.
1) is the correct answer. Good steel isn't cheap, and my heat treating kiln is the single most expensive item in my workshop. I pay quite a bit of attention to edge geometry as well.

I have owned a few El Cheapo knives in my time, and they never held an edge well at all. So far (and I've only been doing this for about 18 months) my knives cut better, and are easier to keep sharp, than my Wüsthof Trident knives, and are very much the equal to my two fancy Japanese knives.

And they are prettier, and customised to the recipient's personal requirements, so I guess 2) is also correct

But most of all, they are a joy to make. While the day job lasts (probably another ten years), I'm not doing this for a living (yet!).