Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #22711
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a Komine-built Vivitar 24mm f2 -- I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while, but most are either the Kiron-made model (and tend to end up with oily aperture blades) or are priced waaaaay out of the realm of reality....

06-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #22712
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yes they can be immersed. Back in the 80's I was the 1st line of defense for PC repairs, and often the last line. I had a co-worker dump almost an entire cup of coffee into his IBM keyboard - worse he heavily polluted his coffee with sugar and creamer (I drink mine black if you can't guess). Fortunately I was nearby and popped that keyboard off the PC before anything could short. All staff had been previously warned that drinks should not be placed adjacent to or in this case, above office equipment.

Ran over to a local electronics supply store and purchase a container of liquid (not spray) electronics part cleaner. Using the office janitor's closet with its utility sink, I thoroughly washed the keyboard with water and a small amount of dish detergent. flushed it well and let it drain as well as possible, but not dry. I then liberally doused the keyboard with the the cleaner (which is plastic safe by the way) to flush all the usual electrolytic contaminants found in tap water off the circuits.

Luckily it was a Friday and the office was not open on weekends. The keyboard was pretty potent and needed to air. My co-worker complained his keyboard still had a chemical odor for the following week, but nobody gave him any sympathy. So far as I know that keyboard was still in use when I left that job a couple years later - but that co-worker swapped it out at first chance when another co-worker left employment!

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 09:09 AM ----------

IMO, yes and no. The keyboard was meant to emulate the feel of the IBM Selectric typewriter, which was fairly pervasive in many corporate offices. But the bigger reason is many corporate offices had IBM service contracts and overall IBM service was reasonably quick and reliable. Management thought the same would be true for PCs. Turns out that while also electronic, typewriter repair staff weren't all that sharp at PC repairs. I knew as much or more than the IBM people, which at the time wasn't saying a lot. But as they say, the die was cast and IBM branded PCs found their way into a lot more offices. It just so happened that Microsoft was along for the ride.
The university I worked for in Australia had computer pools for students open 24/7. In their city campus they had a problem with escapees from nearby nightclubs coming in and disgorging (other words are used for that too) the boozy contents of their upper digestive tract onto keyboards. The IT people dealt with that by replacement of the affected keyboard.
06-12-2021, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #22713
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a Komine-built Vivitar 24mm f2 -- I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while, but most are either the Kiron-made model (and tend to end up with oily aperture blades) or are priced waaaaay out of the realm of reality....
I saw that one go. I was tempted...

Steve
06-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #22714
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my peak design slide strap has arrived

Slide Camera Strap | Peak Design Official Site

Peak Design Slide & Slide Lite: Setup + Tips - YouTube

I purchased the ash color since I have the Silver K 3 III
well I have had this for a while and although I like the design it is really too short for me

I have a long trunk and short legs and when I wear this strap cross body which is the style I like, the upper strap is right next to my neck instead of toward the middle of my off shoulder

just passing on information for other folks

06-13-2021, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #22715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The recent acquisition of a Fuji X-H1 (for use with long MF lenses, originally) has led me to experiment with many of my film lenses in the range 50mm to 135mm, and I am enjoying the experience. This has urged me to finally invest in a Macro Takumar 100mm f4. A lens I have long been interested in but shied away from due to not liking M42 lenses on my K mount bodies.
06-13-2021, 05:11 AM   #22716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I busted one of red plastic covers over a rear brake light. On my first car that would have been $5 to NAPA and some time with three Phillips screws. This one required removal of in inner panel in the hatch that was attached how?? No way to tell where the clips were nor how to safely undo them without the full shop manual, and probably a special tool. So it went to the dealer. OVER $400 TO REPLACE A PLASTIC BRAKE LIGHT COVER!!!!! And I used to sneer at people who taped on colored cellophane rather than replace a "cheap" plastic tail-light cover.
I hear you! Many newer vehicles require the removal of the entire front header panel to replace a headlight! Ridiculous. I had to put a right rear taillight on out ‘18 Equinox because somehow, a pice of gravel broke the lens and ended up inside the housing. How does that happen on a rear light? Anyhow, I used red photographic opaquing tape to “fix” it for nearly a year until I found a somewhat reasonably priced used light. New OEM was $340, Knockoff new was $190, As new used $147! for a one light plastic housing. At least it was a fifteen minute job to change out. .
06-13-2021, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #22717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I hear you! Many newer vehicles require the removal of the entire front header panel to replace a headlight! Ridiculous. I had to put a right rear taillight on out ‘18 Equinox because somehow, a pice of gravel broke the lens and ended up inside the housing. How does that happen on a rear light? Anyhow, I used red photographic opaquing tape to “fix” it for nearly a year until I found a somewhat reasonably priced used light. New OEM was $340, Knockoff new was $190, As new used $147! for a one light plastic housing. At least it was a fifteen minute job to change out. .

The thing that really raises anger, even fury in my devotion to "common sense*," is the complex molded shape of tail light covers. Does that make them "better?" Easier for other drivers to see? In some manner "safer?" I absolutely do not believe it. It terms of the function they serve, they are no better than a simple round red plastic cover that protrudes enough so it is visible from somewhat off to the side in addition to directly behind. All that elaborate shape is just a concession to "style" and "looks" and I can see the people at the drafting tables being highly pleased with their design with approving nods from executives who know that every purchaser will find it necessary to bring their vehicle back to the dealer to get that trivial item fixed.

* The "common sense" commitment in me stops at LBA. It's foolish to carry "sensible" to that extreme.

06-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #22718
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The thing that really raises anger, even fury in my devotion to "common sense*," is the complex molded shape of tail light covers. Does that make them "better?" Easier for other drivers to see? In some manner "safer?" I absolutely do not believe it. It terms of the function they serve, they are no better than a simple round red plastic cover that protrudes enough so it is visible from somewhat off to the side in addition to directly behind. All that elaborate shape is just a concession to "style" and "looks" and I can see the people at the drafting tables being highly pleased with their design with approving nods from executives who know that every purchaser will find it necessary to bring their vehicle back to the dealer to get that trivial item fixed.

* The "common sense" commitment in me stops at LBA. It's foolish to carry "sensible" to that extreme.
The design of lighting on vehicles today serves a number of purposes.

Aerodynamic form.

A shape that allows the light to function not only as a tail light or a headlight but also function as the side marker, reducing the number of light fixtures on the vehicle. (Remember when side markers sprouted on the sides of cars in the 1970s?)

And of course styling.

Oh, and drafting tables, and draftsmen, have long vanished from engineering departments of design studios, replaced by CAD. Since the CAD software makes the drawings pretty, the engineers no longer need a draftsman to perform that task.
06-13-2021, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #22719
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and you guys complain about changing a light on a current model car, like that is something new.

To change a headlight on a Datsun 240Z, you jack the car up, place it on jack stands, remove the front wheel, remove 4 small bolts and a cover, then remove 4 small screws and the headlight bucket assembly, unplug the harness from the light, then remove 3 screws that secure the headlight retaining ring, and then remove the headlight.

Install the new headlight, and reassemble everything.

Flat rate time is 1/2 hour.

Because the first fasteners to be removed get all manner of detritus thrown at them by the front tire while driving, they are always difficult to remove, and sometimes break.

Then you have to get a drill, drill into the bolt, use an easy out to remove the broken bolt, chase the threads with a tap, go find another bolt, remove the headlight bucket assembly, disassemble and replace the headlight, and put it all back together.
06-13-2021, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #22720
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, and you guys complain about changing a light on a current model car, like that is something new.

To change a headlight on a Datsun 240Z, you jack the car up, place it on jack stands, remove the front wheel, remove 4 small bolts and a cover, then remove 4 small screws and the headlight bucket assembly, unplug the harness from the light, then remove 3 screws that secure the headlight retaining ring, and then remove the headlight.

Install the new headlight, and reassemble everything.

Flat rate time is 1/2 hour.

Because the first fasteners to be removed get all manner of detritus thrown at them by the front tire while driving, they are always difficult to remove, and sometimes break.

Then you have to get a drill, drill into the bolt, use an easy out to remove the broken bolt, chase the threads with a tap, go find another bolt, remove the headlight bucket assembly, disassemble and replace the headlight, and put it all back together.
I currently have a vehicle which requires the battery and inner fender to be removed to replace the dang headlight bulb! Ah, engineers and computers design vehicles, neither service or repair them, 😡
06-13-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #22721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I currently have a vehicle which requires the battery and inner fender to be removed to replace the dang headlight bulb! Ah, engineers and computers design vehicles, neither service or repair them, 😡
YES!!! Ford said you cannot fix a horse with a wrench, but now you cannot fix your car with one.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 09:49 AM ----------

The design of lighting on vehicles today serves a number of purposes.

Aerodynamic form.

A shape that allows the light to function not only as a tail light or a headlight but also function as the side marker, reducing the number of light fixtures on the vehicle. (Remember when side markers sprouted on the sides of cars in the 1970s?)

And of course styling.

Oh, and drafting tables, and draftsmen, have long vanished from engineering departments of design studios, replaced by CAD. Since the CAD software makes the drawings pretty, the engineers no longer need a draftsman to perform that task.
The back end of your Datsun looks pretty flat to me. Is that aerodynamically smooth the way the rear quarters of modern cars are shaped? Is that the ideal shape for cars going as fast as they can? And that spoiler sticking up. Does it reduce drag at the rear end?

I am very skeptical of any performance advantage conferred on vehicles by having "aerodynamic" tail lights. Not for a moment do I believe that you could demonstrate any significant change in drag nor improvement in mileage by having one of those aerodynamic tail lights versus a simple round cover that was flush with the body, or even protruding enough that it could easily be seen from the side You would probably see more improvement in mileage by reducing the engine displacement by one or two cubic inches. As to side lights vs a single wrap-around cover, what does it take to have a second simple oval red plastic cover flush with the body panel at the rear corner of the car, held by two screws with a light below it?. Don't be tempted to tell me it would be more expensive when the plastic cover alone on my vehicle cost about $300. "Aerodynamics" is equal parts style and hype with insignificant effect on performance at legal highway speeds. Even the clear plastic aerodynamic covers of headlights have negligible, possibly undetectable impact on performance or mileage at the speeds cars are driven on public roads by any law-abiding person.

I think of the Myth Busters testing rigid covers that go over the beds of pickup trucks, sold to improve aerodynamics and therefore both performance and mileage (theory: air pushed up over the cab hits the flat inside of a tailgate = major drag; put a rigid cover over the bed, the air flows atop it, over the tailgate = less drag, better performance). But their tests indicated a truck equipped with such a cover used more gasoline over a carefully controlled test track. OUTRAGE by truck owners who had invested money in one of those covers. So they re-did the tests and got basically the same results.

Smooth shape is better than a brick at the end that's pushing into the air, but aerodynamic tail lights are more akin to a four-holer Buick. You are buying looks, not better performance.
06-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #22722
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

YES!!! Ford said you cannot fix a horse with a wrench, but now you cannot fix your car with one.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 09:49 AM ----------

The back end of your Datsun looks pretty flat to me. Is that aerodynamically smooth the way the rear quarters of modern cars are shaped? Is that the ideal shape for cars going as fast as they can? And that spoiler sticking up. Does it reduce drag at the rear end?

I am very skeptical of any performance advantage conferred on vehicles by having "aerodynamic" tail lights. Not for a moment do I believe that you could demonstrate any significant change in drag nor improvement in mileage by having one of those aerodynamic tail lights versus a simple round cover that was flush with the body, or even protruding enough that it could easily be seen from the side You would probably see more improvement in mileage by reducing the engine displacement by one or two cubic inches. As to side lights vs a single wrap-around cover, what does it take to have a second simple oval red plastic cover flush with the body panel at the rear corner of the car, held by two screws with a light below it?. Don't be tempted to tell me it would be more expensive when the plastic cover alone on my vehicle cost about $300. "Aerodynamics" is equal parts style and hype with insignificant effect on performance at legal highway speeds. Even the clear plastic aerodynamic covers of headlights have negligible, possibly undetectable impact on performance or mileage at the speeds cars are driven on public roads by any law-abiding person.

I think of the Myth Busters testing rigid covers that go over the beds of pickup trucks, sold to improve aerodynamics and therefore both performance and mileage (theory: air pushed up over the cab hits the flat inside of a tailgate = major drag; put a rigid cover over the bed, the air flows atop it, over the tailgate = less drag, better performance). But their tests indicated a truck equipped with such a cover used more gasoline over a carefully controlled test track. OUTRAGE by truck owners who had invested money in one of those covers. So they re-did the tests and got basically the same results.

Smooth shape is better than a brick at the end that's pushing into the air, but aerodynamic tail lights are more akin to a four-holer Buick. You are buying looks, not better performance.
Today’s cars are designed using computational fluid dynamics software, and wind tunnel testing to prove out the design. Notice that cars no longer have drip rails around the side windows, door handles are usually flush, wipers are cleaner and present less drag, the gaps of all body panels are smooth, even and flush to exacting standards, grille openings are the smallest they can be to allow air to get to the cooling system, there are under trays at the front, all this is done to get every last tiny bit an advantage over aerodynamic drag.

Yesterday’s cars were fine at freeway speeds with the windows down. Today’s cars are brutal to drive with a window even part way open, as the air moving over and around the car gets disrupted dramatically when the windows are down.
06-13-2021, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #22723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today’s cars are designed using computational fluid dynamics software, and wind tunnel testing to prove out the design. Notice that cars no longer have drip rails around the side windows, door handles are usually flush, wipers are cleaner and present less drag, the gaps of all body panels are smooth, even and flush to exacting standards, grille openings are the smallest they can be to allow air to get to the cooling system, there are under trays at the front, all this is done to get every last tiny bit an advantage over aerodynamic drag.

Yesterday’s cars were fine at freeway speeds with the windows down. Today’s cars are brutal to drive with a window even part way open, as the air moving over and around the car gets disrupted dramatically when the windows are down.
Granted all of that, not for a moment do I believe that having a protruding circular tail light instead of a complexly shaped wrap-around tail light would make the slightest perceptible difference in a vehicle's real-world performance.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 01:48 PM ----------

Here is the rear quarter of a Datsun Z car. Look at those horrible brake/tail/backup lights and that little light on the side of the rear fender. Think how much more performance you could get by removing those and substituting a $300 pierce of molded plastic that matched the shape of the edge of the rear fender! Not for a picosecond do I believe that changing those rectangular lights would alter the performance of this vehicle - acceleration, top speed, mileage - to an extent that could be detected by someone using this car day-after-day for normal driving.

Want to reduce drag on this vehicle? Go after:1) the little orange light at the edge of the front bumper, 2) the raised nameplates behind the front wheel, behind the rear window, at the right lower corner of the back hatch; 3) remove the button that raises the hatch; 4) change the hubcaps; 5) remove the part of the rear bumper that wraps onto the side of the car; 6) remove the extendable radio antenna on the rear fender; and most of all 7) remove the blind-spot rear view mirror on the driver's door (and probably a matching outside mirror on the passenger's door). Even removing all those obvious sources of air turbulence resulting in drag, for day to day driving, even highway cruising at 65~70 mph, the change in performance would be essentially imperceptible. How often and how hard you needed to brake and accelerate to deal with traffic would have a vastly greater impact on mileage.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-13-2021 at 11:12 AM.
06-13-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #22724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great. So now we have to drive with the air-con on, rather than the windows open. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Modern design sucks.
06-13-2021, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #22725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisition is a set of rims for my Nissan 370z. Local guy bought them then sold the car and has been trying to sell the wheels on facebook for weeks. I got a deal. They are silver, not white as they are washed out a little in the photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo