Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #22726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yesterday’s cars were fine at freeway speeds with the windows down. Today’s cars are brutal to drive with a window even part way open, as the air moving over and around the car gets disrupted dramatically when the windows are down.
Mythbusters devoted a segment that showed that there was no significant gas mileage difference between rolling the windows down versus running the air conditioner. For cars of this century, my ears physically hurt when you open car windows at highway speed due to the sound pressure.

I paid extra for OEM window vents on our 2020 Subaru Ascent (plastic hoods at the top of the windows). My goal was to crack the windows when parked without fear of rain blowing in. While still noisier than closed windows when driving, I find I can tolerate it provided the top edge of the window is above the bottom edge of the hood.

Wish we could see a return to the hinged vents common on vehicles from before the 80's. On the other hand, those vents made it really easy to break into cars with no sign of damage.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well I have had this for a while and although I like the design it is really too short for me

I have a long trunk and short legs and when I wear this strap cross body which is the style I like, the upper strap is right next to my neck instead of toward the middle of my off shoulder

just passing on information for other folks
I have both one and two camera body OpTech USA cross body sling straps. The length of the strap is easily adjustable while wearing the strap. And the connectors use the D-rings rather than the tripod mounting point like others. I keep a tripod quick mount plate on the camera. I often use a monopod in the field and these two features of the OpTech strap make for extremely fast camera access both with and without the monopod.

06-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #22727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Wish we could see a return to the hinged vents common on vehicles from before the 80's. On the other hand, those vents made it really easy to break into cars with no sign of damage..

FYI: We purchased a Chrysler mini-van the first year they were introduced. Ours did not have AC, but it did have rotating vent windows in the back for ventilation. They would not stay open. After 5~10 minutes driving on a highway, the vibration would giggle them loose and they'd close. We stuffed bits of wadded paper, pieces of cardboard, pop-sickle sticks, whatever into them to try to keep them open to very little avail. For how many years before the introduction of that vehicle had such vent windows been used, and Chrysler could not make one that worked properly. Shameful incompetence.
06-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #22728
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Today’s cars are brutal to drive with a window even part way open, as the air moving over and around the car gets disrupted dramatically when the windows are down.
...and if it is raining even a smidgen...in the car it goes!

Steve
06-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #22729
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
. . .
I have both one and two camera body OpTech USA cross body sling straps. The length of the strap is easily adjustable while wearing the strap. And the connectors use the D-rings rather than the tripod mounting point like others. I keep a tripod quick mount plate on the camera. I often use a monopod in the field and these two features of the OpTech strap make for extremely fast camera access both with and without the monopod.
I use the Optech USA utility strap along with the Joby hand strap with ultraplate on my other DSLR cameras

I only got the Peak Design strap because of the ash color to go with my Silver K 3 III and the Silver battery grip

I may end up returning the Peak Design strap

06-13-2021, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #22730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoops I did it again. Just when I swore I was done buying ski equipment, I came across these 2015 Dynastar FIS World Cup GS skis with bindings included for only 230 USD on eBay. I couldn't pass up such a deal for brand new set of skis and bindings. Proportions are very similar to my old 1997 skis.
Attached Images

Last edited by degral; 06-13-2021 at 07:46 PM.
06-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #22731
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Great. So now we have to drive with the air-con on, rather than the windows open. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Modern design sucks.
Oh, you can drive with the widows open, but the buffeting might be hard on your ears.
06-14-2021, 03:02 AM   #22732
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
My latest acquisition is a set of rims for my Nissan 370z. Local guy bought them then sold the car and has been trying to sell the wheels on facebook for weeks. I got a deal. They are silver, not white as they are washed out a little in the photo.
Nice.

I've been working on getting my brown 72 Z driving again. Trying to get a set of wheels, and some stainless steel exhaust for it. On my third source for the wheels I want, find out today if the supplier of the wheels has the same excuse as everyone else, Covid.

The headers and exhaust I want is made by a guy in France. Very nice stuff, but the header is unavailable until August.

I looked at the Fujitsubo system from Japan, but it is built to order, 45 days out after the order is placed, and it isn't what I really want.

06-14-2021, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #22733
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought some 49mm lens caps....
06-14-2021, 04:01 AM - 4 Likes   #22734
Pentaxian

06-14-2021, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #22735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: We purchased a Chrysler mini-van the first year they were introduced. Ours did not have AC, but it did have rotating vent windows in the back for ventilation. They would not stay open. After 5~10 minutes driving on a highway, the vibration would giggle them loose and they'd close. We stuffed bits of wadded paper, pieces of cardboard, pop-sickle sticks, whatever into them to try to keep them open to very little avail. For how many years before the introduction of that vehicle had such vent windows been used, and Chrysler could not make one that worked properly. Shameful incompetence.

Not engineering incompetence but more of having an accountant looking over your shoulder and not letting you do things right. I know one engineer who almost got fired for saying "How come we never have time to do things right but we always have time to do it again?"

Those vent windows are more expensive than a one piece window. Hence they had to go. Plus removing them increased the demand for air conditioning. Senior management likes their bonuses.
06-14-2021, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22736
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Not engineering incompetence but more of having an accountant looking over your shoulder and not letting you do things right. I know one engineer who almost got fired for saying "How come we never have time to do things right but we always have time to do it again?"

Those vent windows are more expensive than a one piece window. Hence they had to go. Plus removing them increased the demand for air conditioning. Senior management likes their bonuses.
We inherited a Chrysler Horizon when my mother-in-law passed. It had wind-up windows that broke. I could not wind up the driver's side window, I had to grab the edge of it, pull it up, push it up snug, then turn the window crank with the opposite hand (still holding the window up snug). It would stay closed, but if I cranked it down just enough to let in some air, no amount of cranking would put it back up. I pulled off the door panel, repaired it so it worked, replaced the door panel. It broke again in less that two weeks. I could not begin to tell you the engine problems with that piece of -----. Once I was given a Sebring as a rental car. With a name like that it should GO! The only vehicle I've driven with more anemic acceleration was an ancient VW van with a dying engine that I once (and only once) borrowed from a fellow graduate student. The feeble performance of that Sebring made me fearful of taking it out on a highway. My daughter & son-in-law got a Sebring as a rental during a vacation. It was the first thing he mentioned when they got back. "Gutless" was the euphemism he applied.
06-14-2021, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #22737
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I bought some 49mm lens caps....
Strangely, those are on my "need to get" list, that and a couple of M42 back caps.

Steve
06-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #22738
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely, those are on my "need to get" list, that and a couple of M42 back caps.

Steve
Amazon ...
06-14-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #22739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strangely, those are on my "need to get" list, that and a couple of M42 back caps. Steve
In addition to the already recommended AMAZON, be sure to check out AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.

I just checked the latter - - M42 thread-on rear lens caps. $1.50.

BTW: Going to the site you always start on the page for adapter rings. Click on "home" to see the variety of caps, filters, extension tubes, odds and ends they offer.
06-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #22740
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Steve
I have a Cosina branded 49mm lens cap I can send you if you want it.