Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 03:53 PM - 3 Likes   #22741
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Amazon ...
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
In addition to the already recommended AMAZON, be sure to check out AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.

I just checked the latter - - M42 thread-on rear lens caps. $1.50.

BTW: Going to the site you always start on the page for adapter rings. Click on "home" to see the variety of caps, filters, extension tubes, odds and ends they offer.
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I have a Cosina branded 49mm lens cap I can send you if you want it.
Wow! There is nothing like the Pentax Forums in terms of helpful advice and offers of good will. I had already placed my order before I saw these posts, but I am really appreciative.

Steve

06-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #22742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Saw a used Olympus OMD EM5 II for sale from a shop I've bought from before, $299. I'm really hoping it arrives in good shape and can serve as a small system camera for the future while. It's too hard going without any M4/3 options.
06-15-2021, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #22743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks!

I paid $2,000 for the brown 72 Z in 1992.

Today they are selling for $25,000 to $60,000 at auctions like Bring a trailer.

I own 14 Z cars, although most are parts cars that will likely never see road use again. A bunch of local car guys have heard about my collection, and I am overwhelmed with overtures from them, some even interested in the ones that are little more than rusty shells.

Mrs. Racer wants me to sell most of them, and I’m getting them ready to do just that. I figure I can use the proceeds to build some of the ones I want to keep.
Find the right person with a YouTube channel and you could be rich and temporarily famous.
06-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #22744
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Find the right person with a YouTube channel and you could be rich and temporarily famous.
I have a YouTube channel.

06-15-2021, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #22745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Latest acquisition: Voigtlander 180/4. Unfortunately it had haze in the elements. I sent it to the distributor for repair from the factory. It's been 3 months and no word... Lesson learned, don't send it to the factory.
06-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #22746
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Granted all of that, not for a moment do I believe that having a protruding circular tail light instead of a complexly shaped wrap-around tail light would make the slightest perceptible difference in a vehicle's real-world performance.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 01:48 PM ----------

Here is the rear quarter of a Datsun Z car. Look at those horrible brake/tail/backup lights and that little light on the side of the rear fender. Think how much more performance you could get by removing those and substituting a $300 pierce of molded plastic that matched the shape of the edge of the rear fender! Not for a picosecond do I believe that changing those rectangular lights would alter the performance of this vehicle - acceleration, top speed, mileage - to an extent that could be detected by someone using this car day-after-day for normal driving.

Want to reduce drag on this vehicle? Go after:1) the little orange light at the edge of the front bumper, 2) the raised nameplates behind the front wheel, behind the rear window, at the right lower corner of the back hatch; 3) remove the button that raises the hatch; 4) change the hubcaps; 5) remove the part of the rear bumper that wraps onto the side of the car; 6) remove the extendable radio antenna on the rear fender; and most of all 7) remove the blind-spot rear view mirror on the driver's door (and probably a matching outside mirror on the passenger's door). Even removing all those obvious sources of air turbulence resulting in drag, for day to day driving, even highway cruising at 65~70 mph, the change in performance would be essentially imperceptible. How often and how hard you needed to brake and accelerate to deal with traffic would have a vastly greater impact on mileage.
If you are fortunate enough to find NOS ( new old stock) taillight assemblies today for a series 1 Datsun 240Z, it will set you back about $500, each.

Reproduction assemblies are available, at $300 to $400 each.
06-15-2021, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #22747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a YouTube channel.
You have a tractor, too! So you just need a sketchy storage barn, maybe some cars buried in the weeds, six GoPro cameras, an extremely rare thing, an RB26 in pieces and a chainsaw.

06-15-2021, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #22748
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You have a tractor, too! So you just need a sketchy storage barn, maybe some cars buried in the weeds, six GoPro cameras, an extremely rare thing, an RB26 in pieces and a chainsaw.
I got a chainsaw.

And.

I got 8 Z cars buried in the weeds behind the shop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPod touch  Photo 
06-15-2021, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #22749
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunpak 555 (or G4500DX)

Received yesterday from a USA Ebay seller for £28 + £24 shipping, the most I've ever paid for a used flash but I've been looking for a 555 and a Pentax PT-1D interface adaptor. I already have three 455s (one non-working for spares) and a 544 - all similar hammerheads with GNs of over 40 metres. The shipping price is low compared with most USA to UK prices on Ebay..

This came with a simple PC sync lead as well as the Pentax adaptor lead (an EXT-11 I think). It works, with a nice low thud, and I have just measured the trigger voltage at 6.8v, about the same as a Pentax AF280T and it will be OK on my DSLR.

It is missing the camera (tripod socket) attachment screw, but I have the 455 spares. More significantly the slide switch just below the word "F/stop" is obviously not connected to anything - it just slides around even under gravity. It is supposed to select between the seven(!) Auto modes.

I'm not going to complain about the switch as I believe I can fix it. These panel switches connect to the real switches on a circuit board inside, usually by a little fork. Either that fork has broken, or more likely this has been taken apart for some reason and re-assembled without the fork engaging. I have had my 455s in pieces before now and it is very tricky to get all the several forks on the controls to engage when you re-assemble. The construction of this 555 looks very similar to the 455, it is basically the same unit with extra features.

06-15-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #22750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I received my D FA 150-450. Looks awesome! I'm pumped to give it a whirl.
06-15-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #22751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are fortunate enough to find NOS ( new old stock) taillight assemblies today for a series 1 Datsun 240Z, it will set you back about $500, each.

Reproduction assemblies are available, at $300 to $400 each.
No surprise on those prices. What would an original equipment tail light for a Cord or Chrysler Airstream cost today? The important thing: what did a replacement tail assembly cost for a 240Z when the vehicle was new? Allowing for inflation, was it equivalent to what I had to pay for the plastic brake light cover on my Subaru? I'll wager both prices were far higher than the brake light cover for the frog-eye A-H Sprite I once owned.
06-15-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #22752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A selection of cheap metal lens hoods 49 and 52mm, together with 49 and 52mm lens caps. Items I never seem to have enough of! Also some front and rear Fuji X body caps, as those adapters are never supplied with them.
06-16-2021, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #22753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About 5 minutes after I put a WTB ad in the Wanted section here for a DA 70mm (preferably silver) I found one in Japan while I was rummaging about through Ebay. It was actually cheaper than I had been expecting to pay and included free Fedex shipping so I jumped on it. It's now on it's way here, having taken the scenic route from Japan to Taiwan to China, the Phillipines and it's currently languishing in a Fedex warehouse in Singapore. I suspect that they have just been putting it on the next plane out of wherever it is as long as the plane is heading towards Australia........eventually.
06-16-2021, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #22754
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a Komine-built Vivitar 24mm f2 -- I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while, but most are either the Kiron-made model (and tend to end up with oily aperture blades) or are priced waaaaay out of the realm of reality....
Large increases in interest and prices of the first-party more exotic lenses has put pressure on the prices for the third-party ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
The recent acquisition of a Fuji X-H1 (for use with long MF lenses, originally) has led me to experiment with many of my film lenses in the range 50mm to 135mm, and I am enjoying the experience. This has urged me to finally invest in a Macro Takumar 100mm f4. A lens I have long been interested in but shied away from due to not liking M42 lenses on my K mount bodies.
Fujifilm cameras are better for using with legacy lenses than DSLRs, even in their native mounts.
06-16-2021, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #22755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hard-to-find kitchen tool.

Here is a hard-to-find kitchen tool, the old fashioned eggbeater. You will have a hard time finding one for sale in Walmart or other stores where kitchen cutlery and kitchen tools are usually sold. I looked for one for years before finding this one at our local Goodwill store. If you have any strength in your hands and arms, this appliance can take the place of many an electric mixer job and save you lots of cleanup jobs. Someone else must have treasured this one as well; you can see the handmade wooden handle that has replaced the original one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo