Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #22771
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
The DA1.8 and F1.7 are very similar and I suspect the 1.8 design is just a modified 1.7.
I suspect the same, though when I tried the DA 50/1.8 on 35mm film my Super Program, vignette and poor performance outside the APS-C boundaries definitely label this one as a crop-sensor design.

Steve

06-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #22772
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect the same, though when I tried the DA 50/1.8 on 35mm film my Super Program, vignette and poor performance outside the APS-C boundaries definitely label this one as a crop-sensor design.
For sure. I use it on my K1 but only if I am not going to be stopping down as the corners never do get sharp. I actually like some vignette so that doesn't bother me but it is pretty strong. These are all the reasons I stuck with the FA1.4 which has its own challenges and so I finally gave into the LBA and got the fat 50.
06-17-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #22773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know, this Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for micro four thirds is the third time I've owned this lens!
06-17-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #22774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PENTAX K3 Mark II with 10090 accuations.

Another camera. A Pentax DSLR. I got I used from a camera store in Tokyo.

This is for conversion to IR.

It will also use the same batteries as my K3 Mark III and K3. Several fewer batteries and one less charger when traveling. Yeah!

When changing lenses, I need to go into debug on my K10 IR to fine tune matching the lens change. I keep a little chart taped to my K10. What a pain in the rear end! That all goes away now. Yeah!

It still have much better shake reduction than the K10 IR. Yeah!

It will have a much more dense image. I can now shoot slightly wider than my K10 IR and crop down. Yeah!

06-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #22775
Pentaxian

I have been comparing both for a while. They are very very similar. The DA of course has better coatings which helps every once in a while. The F has better corners on Full Frame, though I do use the DA on my K1 regardless of the weaker corners. I use the DA more often of the two.

I have been using the DA1.8 and FA1.4. For some reason I never found myself grabbing my F1.7 with the K3 or K1 and it ended up almost permanently attached to my P30T. Nothing wrong with it but I preferred FA1.4 most of the time. The DA1.8 and F1.7 are very similar and I suspect the 1.8 design is just a modified 1.7. I just added the DFA*50 so my FA1.4 is going to feel neglected soon.
I think the 50mm DA 1.8 and the 1.7 models are variations of the same design, but who knows, it could be the same design just restricted to f1.8 instead of f1.7.
But I think they are different... they are both very sharp, the DA at f2.8 has a certain "3D" rendering that the F and other 50mm f1.7 don't seem to have, it's usually the f1.4 versions that have that. So that tells me the field curvature is probably a bit larger with the newer DA, which is actually something Pentax does on purpose to improve rendering in their premium primes.
I'm liking the DA more than I thought I would- the F series coatings are a bit more "cold" and the DA are a bit more warm. Personally I still like the "neutral" M series the best, but this DA lens, at least my copy, makes very pleasing images with excellent micro contrast, in that regard it seems better than the f1.7 designs. Let's see if this is just the honeymoon phase... hopefully I'll still like it after a while, the light weight and the convenience of the SP coatings might make it a 50mm workhorse.
06-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #22776
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the 50mm DA 1.8 and the 1.7 models are variations of the same design, but who knows, it could be the same design just restricted to f1.8 instead of f1.7.
But I think they are different... they are both very sharp, the DA at f2.8 has a certain "3D" rendering that the F and other 50mm f1.7 don't seem to have, it's usually the f1.4 versions that have that. So that tells me the field curvature is probably a bit larger with the newer DA, which is actually something Pentax does on purpose to improve rendering in their premium primes.
I'm liking the DA more than I thought I would- the F series coatings are a bit more "cold" and the DA are a bit more warm. Personally I still like the "neutral" M series the best, but this DA lens, at least my copy, makes very pleasing images with excellent micro contrast, in that regard it seems better than the f1.7 designs. Let's see if this is just the honeymoon phase... hopefully I'll still like it after a while, the light weight and the convenience of the SP coatings might make it a 50mm workhorse.
Yeah, I like the images it produces. I find they have better contrast than my F1.7 or FA1.4. Wide open sharpness seems just a hair better on the DA1.8 which is also likely due to better contrast. So despite having a bunch of other 50s, I doubt I will ever part with the DA50 1.8. My only complaints about it are the weak corners on FF and I find that both it and the DA35 are less consistent focusing than my other screw drive lenses. I have always attributed that to coarser gearing in the screw drive mechanism, possibly due to the budget build, but I really don't know. What I do know is that I use it if I know I can reshoot, but if I need reliable focusing I go to my FA50 1.4. Still for the light weight and excellent image quality it's fantastic.
06-17-2021, 11:48 PM   #22777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find that both it and the DA35 are less consistent focusing than my other screw drive lenses.
I find the same with the DA 35mm, but I have had no issues with my DA 50mm. With the DA 35mm I have even tried to fix things with AF fine adjustment. It works for a while then goes "off" again. It's a shame really because I really like the lens otherwise.

06-18-2021, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #22778
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Battery grip for a K-1 (D-BG6). I noticed a used one on Ebay for £125 and thought it a bit steep, although it was the silver version. Out of curiosity I checked the price of new ones on Wex (£224 non-silver) but noticed they also had a used one for £66. So I bought it and it arrived today. It is mint condition, although it did not come with a lithium-ion battery as I believe the new ones do. I shall probably just use it with AA batteries in it as an emergency back-up.

I've just tried it on the K-1 with a 24-70mm F2.8 lens and a big Sunpak hammerhead flash (555), and this lot together is massive

Incidentally, Wex are charging £329 for the K3-III battery grip - where does the extra £105 go to?
06-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #22779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Incidentally, Wex are charging £329 for the K3-III battery grip - where does the extra £105 go to?
Because they can - "supply & demand"!
06-18-2021, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #22780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a text at 0838 yesterday morning from Fedex saying that my lens would be delivered that day. That was great news except that we were going to be out until early afternoon and I didn't know if they would leave it at the door, so I thought I might end up having to make a trip to their depot to collect it on Monday. Oh well, that's how it goes.

As we were on our way home I got another text telling me they had tried to deliver and they would send details of how I could collect it. As luck would have it the card in the door said it could be collected from a newsagent about a 5 minute drive away so I went and picked it up. I was surprised to find on the box that it was a "limited edition" lens and I don't know how many of the SMC 70mm they made in silver but I have to admit that it looks pretty classy on my silver KP.
06-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #22781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I got a text at 0838 yesterday morning from Fedex saying that my lens would be delivered that day. That was great news except that we were going to be out until early afternoon and I didn't know if they would leave it at the door, so I thought I might end up having to make a trip to their depot to collect it on Monday. Oh well, that's how it goes.

As we were on our way home I got another text telling me they had tried to deliver and they would send details of how I could collect it. As luck would have it the card in the door said it could be collected from a newsagent about a 5 minute drive away so I went and picked it up. I was surprised to find on the box that it was a "limited edition" lens and I don't know how many of the SMC 70mm they made in silver but I have to admit that it looks pretty classy on my silver KP.
Thats the one big reason I dont like FedEx, they're pretty much "We get there when we get there to deliver your package", and since I live in a apartment complex that has a gate there been more than a few times where the Fedex driver slowly drives by and be like "opp, gates closed, byyyyyye!!" even though all they have to do is drive up & honk and the manager would let them in 😑
06-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #22782

Soligor Wide Auto 28mm f/2.8 (62mm f/22 version) + Auto Seimar MC 200mm f/3.5 lenses

It sometimes pays to look in dusty corners of 2nd hand stores and thrift shops. Today, I bought both of these lenses with original front/back caps AND original cases for $20 Canadian (about $15 USD). Both lenses have M42 mount, and came with 1A filters. Other than being dusty from sitting out in a display case for 6 months, both seem to be in excellent condition.

I am not sure who makes the Seimar lens, but the Soligor version I have was made by Sun optics. It is a heavy lens (300 g), similar in build quality to my Takumar Macro 50mm f/4 lens.

Tomorrow, I will clean these lenses up, and take photos of them. If anyone has information on the Seimar lens (like who manufactured it, how good was it, etc), I would appreciate it. it has a retractable hood, uses a 58mm filter, and has an f/3.5 - f/22 adjustment range.

I suspect the Soligor Wide Auto 28mm f/2.8 lens will be a pretty good one. I bought it, so I could compare it to the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 lens my neighbour wants to sell me.

I am in the process of decluttering my apartment, and things are a bit chaotic at the moment. Once things get back to normal, I will ad additional posts about these lenses and my experience with them.
06-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #22783
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote

Here all the delivery companies usually find a near neighbour who is in and deliver to them and leave a note to say where. Everyone accepts stuff for their neighbors for the convenience it gives them when the story goes the other way round. Deliveries seem to be done between 0800-2200, quite a long period of the day.
06-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #22784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Thats the one big reason I dont like FedEx, they're pretty much "We get there when we get there to deliver your package", and since I live in a apartment complex that has a gate there been more than a few times where the Fedex driver slowly drives by and be like "opp, gates closed, byyyyyye!!" even though all they have to do is drive up & honk and the manager would let them in 😑
So if there is a manager there why not deliver to the manager who then messages you to come to the guard desk to get it.
06-19-2021, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #22785
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I sure didn't need another 50. But with used prices so low I had to try one out. If I don't like it I'll just pass it on. I haven't really given it a proper test yet, I'll be comparing it with the F 50 1.7 to see if it's worth hanging on to.

DA 50 1.8
I get good results from my little 50/1.8 and I enjoy using it, far more so than the 35mm plastic lens. I prefer it to the FA 50/1.7 though the lack of a focus ring means it's not fully compatible with film cameras.