Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #22891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've found cheap smartphones to be a false economy as well as a very frustrating experience, but I suppose it depends on what you use it for.

I've just ordered a second Nikon F801S and am crossing my fingers it'll work. The seller didn't want to bother putting four AAs in it to test it so either he really is that lazy or he's trying to avoid saying it doesn't work. All I got from him was that it used to work... Will see when it arrives, hopefully in a couple of days.
Totally depends on the level of cheap. My boss uses a sub-$120 Nokia, and it's a garbage phone. I used a $199 Nokia and it was a headache but worked most of the time. But I bought a Pixel 3a over a year ago for $279 and it hasn't disappointed ever. Cheap should not mean dirt cheap, but midrange has come down a lot in price and does just about everything a person could need. I will never buy a phone with a high-end price tag again.

07-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #22892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Using worms the fish will swallow the bait and hook.
You will practically gut the fish removing the hook.
That's not a problem if it's a keeper, but not so good for catch and release.

Chris
I had my suspicions that fishing wasn't good for the fishes and birds (I've seen a lot of seagulls with a hook incrusted in their beak), but now I am sure it is bad.
07-01-2021, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #22893
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
guard that lens - there's peeps in here that will try to talk you out it....

(:
Yes...we are lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on the unwary.

Steve
07-01-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #22894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fzik Arione saddle for one of my bikes. It is a replacement of the original I bought in 2004, whose stitching has come apart and foam gone flat after 1000's of miles. The original cost me £80ish. Its replacement now £60. However, the titanium rails are now magnesium. I just hope that the build quality matches up to the original. In my experience this rarely happens. I'm looking at you, Crank Brothers and your pathetic bearings in the Egg Beater pedals nowadays.
There are few things in life more annoying than finding a product that is just right for you, then when it has legitimately worn out, you replace it with the same product only to find it is now made of cheese and no longer fit for purpose.

---------- Post added 07-01-21 at 04:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Using worms the fish will swallow the bait and hook.
You will practically gut the fish removing the hook.
A disgorger and/or artery forceps (depends on the size of hook used) should be essential kit for any angler. Early striking helps and barbless hooks should be used too. If you can't get barbless, just squash the barbs with pliers ( I do this with all of my lures, which always come with barbs). Barbless hooks actually work better than barbed ones as they penetrate deeper and as long as you keep a tight line no fish will bump off. They are also easier to extract (not just from the fish's mouth, but also from your hand should you be unlucky/stupid enough to hook yourself). The finest hooks I used in the larger sizes (6 or 8) were Drennan Starpoints. They used to be available in the UK during the '90s. They were thick forged hooks, very strong with a swell, but no barb, towards the point. Like all good things, they disappeared from the market.

07-01-2021, 11:59 PM   #22895
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Fzik Arione saddle for one of my bikes. It is a replacement of the original I bought in 2004, whose stitching has come apart and foam gone flat after 1000's of miles. The original cost me £80ish. Its replacement now £60. However, the titanium rails are now magnesium. I just hope that the build quality matches up to the original. In my experience this rarely happens. I'm looking at you, Crank Brothers and your pathetic bearings in the Egg Beater pedals nowadays.
There are few things in life more annoying than finding a product that is just right for you, then when it has legitimately worn out, you replace it with the same product only to find it is now made of cheese and no longer fit for purpose.
I’ve recently got a Fizik Antares with K:Ium rails saddle and it’s pretty good in my amateur opinion. The rails don’t seem as though they’d fail under typical use. Although I’ve been cycling on it in bib shorts I’m sure I’d be comfy enough with just jeans for casual cycling too.
07-02-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #22896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I’ve recently got a Fizik Antares with K:Ium rails saddle and it’s pretty good in my amateur opinion. The rails don’t seem as though they’d fail under typical use. Although I’ve been cycling on it in bib shorts I’m sure I’d be comfy enough with just jeans for casual cycling too.
I hope you are right. I am more worried about the upholstery! I have always found the Fzik's the most comfortable saddles for me, though I have a Brooks B17 Narrow which is good too. It is just too heavy on my lightweight bikes, and it does not like rain. My first Fzik's were Pave's, which I used for many years, but I find the Ariones even better. Both are fine for casual cycling or commuting in shorts or jeans.
07-02-2021, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #22897
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Totally depends on the level of cheap. My boss uses a sub-$120 Nokia, and it's a garbage phone. I used a $199 Nokia and it was a headache but worked most of the time. But I bought a Pixel 3a over a year ago for $279 and it hasn't disappointed ever. Cheap should not mean dirt cheap, but midrange has come down a lot in price and does just about everything a person could need. I will never buy a phone with a high-end price tag again.
My current phone is a Samsung S8. I think it's the sixth smartphone I've owned and the first one that hasn't constantly frustrated me with things either not working or just going incredibly slowly.

On the new acquisitions front, the F801S arrived and seems in good condition and to work. Needs a new mirror bumper but that's normal, so not bad for €20. Now I have two cameras and one lens.

07-02-2021, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #22898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My current phone is a Samsung S8. I think it's the sixth smartphone I've owned and the first one that hasn't constantly frustrated me with things either not working or just going incredibly slowly.

On the new acquisitions front, the F801S arrived and seems in good condition and to work. Needs a new mirror bumper but that's normal, so not bad for €20. Now I have two cameras and one lens.
It seems you go against the usual for this forum. Most of us have more lenses than bodies. My normal is one body and a small number of lenses, assorted vintages. I'm one who doesn't fall under GAS or LBA. I tend only to replace a body when it fails, and keep whatever lenses I find useful.

K3,
Super Takumar 55/1.8 and Pentax 42mm > K Mount adapter
DA 12-24/4
DA* 16-50/2.8
DA 55-300/8 ED
FA 100/2.8 macro
M 400/5.6
AFA 1.7x
07-02-2021, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #22899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vello COOLTOOL Camera Plate Combo Tool, very handy key chain.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
07-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #22900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Vello COOLTOOL Camera Plate Combo Tool, very handy key chain.
It IS cool. But what does it do?
07-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #22901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
It IS cool. But what does it do?
It's a convenient tool to attach and remove tripod plates/brackets, an Allen wrench in one side, a screwdriver in the other. I use it as a keychain, that way it's with me all the time wherever I go.
07-02-2021, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #22902
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It seems you go against the usual for this forum. Most of us have more lenses than bodies. My normal is one body and a small number of lenses, assorted vintages. I'm one who doesn't fall under GAS or LBA. I tend only to replace a body when it fails, and keep whatever lenses I find useful.

K3,
Super Takumar 55/1.8 and Pentax 42mm > K Mount adapter
DA 12-24/4
DA* 16-50/2.8
DA 55-300/8 ED
FA 100/2.8 macro
M 400/5.6
AFA 1.7x
I have several camera bodies - each for a suite of lenses of various types:
Pentax K-70 is my main camera and is dedicated to using K mount lenses, from K series (K 55mm f1.8) to DFA (100mm Macro) and DA zooms.
Pentax K-01 for the DA Limited lenses and the DFA macro - what a powerful small kit
Pentax K-30 is fitted with the M42 adapter and I set it up for use it with my Takumars, Adaptall SP zooms and CZJ (this was an idea planted by Pepperberry Farm to have a dedicated M42 body).
Pentax K-m just for the CCD sensor and used mostly with DA lenses
Sony A7ii - for adapted lenses on full frame - Takumars, Minolta, Konica, Micro Nikkor. This setup uses lenses in their designed format and the focus aids help to get sharp shots. To date my greatest loves are the Taks (35mm f3.5, 24mm f3.5 and 150mm f4) and the Konicas (50mm f1.7 and 24mm f2.8).
Sony A6000 - for adapted lenses on crop - same as above but mainly the small primes due to weight/balance and convenience.

Edit: After a play this afternoon, I think that the Adaptall M42 mount will not stop down on the K-30 body, so these lenses will also need to be on the Sony, or I need to get a working PKA adapter. My PK adapter does not engage properly.

When I retire in a year or so, I plan to use a single family of prime lenses in weekly rotation to get the best from each set of lenses.

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 07-03-2021 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Updated after tests
07-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #22903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
It's a convenient tool to attach and remove tripod plates/brackets, an Allen wrench in one side, a screwdriver in the other. I use it as a keychain, that way it's with me all the time wherever I go.
Looks like a pretty damn good idea to me. Must see if I can get one.
07-03-2021, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #22904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon P 35mm rangefinder camera body with Canon 50/1.8 lens

For years I hoped to purchase a Leica M2 made in 1961, the year of my birth.
In the last year M2 prices have practically doubled, so I have ruled that out.

The Canon P body I purchased is a very late serial number 78xxx, likely made in 1961.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-03-2021 at 10:29 AM.
07-03-2021, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #22905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Looks like a pretty damn good idea to me. Must see if I can get one.
It was on sale on B&H a few days ago. That's why I got it. I had a similar tool from Acratech, but it has only the Allen wrench, and looks like it has been discontinued.