QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
but none of those beats the tiny size of a 40
lets hear it for the Pentax 40mm lenses

QuoteQuote:
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Also known as the "pancake," this is the smallest SLR lens that Pentax ever produced. It includes all the features of any other M lens.

In 2006, it was superseded by an even smaller DA version, but that version did not feature an aperture ring.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-10-2021 at 02:47 PM.
07-11-2021, 02:02 AM   #22952
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I found a super-deal on this lens that I have been wanting for ever... and I wanted the HD version because I believe it's quite an improvement over the SMC version (and I don't care about starbursts).

Of course there's other lenses I'd like to try out but I really need to focus on taking pictures now instead of looking at gear!! I don't really need anything else...
That's a nice lens. All my DA Limited primes are SMC but of them all the 21mm is the one I'd most be interested in trying the HD version, mainly to see if it does away with the green blob flare.
07-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #22953
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one Macro-Takumar 50/4; the 1:1 preset lens....
07-11-2021, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #22954
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's a nice lens. All my DA Limited primes are SMC but of them all the 21mm is the one I'd most be interested in trying the HD version, mainly to see if it does away with the green blob flare.
Supposedly it does. I still haven't used it a lot but reviews say it does.
Also, DXO testing shows the CA at the edges/corners of the frame has been cut down to about half, where it should not be of concern anymore. I was quite disappointed when I reviewed the corners of some pictures of the SMC even at first.
Finally, the colors of the HD seem to pop out more and give a bit more of that 3D effect, probably because of increased micro contrast.
I'm pretty happy I was able to get this lens...

07-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #22955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
...Gotta get a grip on this GAS problem...

That reminds me - I should look for grips for each of my cameras!

Chris
07-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #22956
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Also, DXO testing shows the CA at the edges/corners of the frame has been cut down to about half, where it should not be of concern anymore.
It does look bad in the "before" view in DxO PhotoLab at times, but I find that it's no concern for me because the standard profile in DxO PhotoLab takes care of it to the level I don't notice it anymore after conversion. In fact, even the in camera jpg engine eliminates most of it, but I see quite some additional sharpness after converting with DxO.
07-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #22957
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one Macro-Takumar 50/4; the 1:1 preset lens....

oooh..... and it's radioactive, too!

(:

07-11-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #22958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
oooh..... and it's radioactive, too!

(:
Got a small Geiger counter a few years ago. A few of my Pentax lenses really lit it up. About the half the does of an x-ray. All sorts of things out there carry some radioactivity. Granite counter tops, old hurricane lamps etc.
07-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #22959
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Got a small Geiger counter a few years ago. A few of my Pentax lenses really lit it up. About the half the does of an x-ray. All sorts of things out there carry some radioactivity. Granite counter tops, old hurricane lamps etc.

I normally lick all my lenses when they arrive, so no worries....
07-11-2021, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #22960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Got a small Geiger counter a few years ago.

A few of my Pentax lenses really lit it up. About the half the does of an x-ray.
All sorts of things out there carry some radioactivity. Granite counter tops, old hurricane lamps etc.

LINK: Radioactive consumer products

Chris
07-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #22961
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
It does look bad in the "before" view in DxO PhotoLab at times, but I find that it's no concern for me because the standard profile in DxO PhotoLab takes care of it to the level I don't notice it anymore after conversion. In fact, even the in camera jpg engine eliminates most of it, but I see quite some additional sharpness after converting with DxO.
Yes I have noticed that in your pictures it does not seem to be an issue... still, it is a small added benefit of the HD version.
07-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #22962
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad weekend, though it got off to a bad start when I couldn't get anything interesting on Friday.

Yesterday wasn't wonderful either - At the car boot fair I got two clockwork action cameras (the "four pictures on one 35mm frame" type) for £2, one of them needs to be repaired but the other is OK, and an Apple firewire charger, also for £2, then in a charity shop I found an unused DIY 35mm pinhole camera kit for £3.75 - should make a small profit on them.

So I wasn't incredibly hopeful today, and didn't find anything at the first car boot. But at the second I hit the jackpot - a nice zebra-stripe Tessar with M42 mount and an Adaptall 2 28 f2.5 without a mount for £20, a no-name PK-M 28 f2.8 for a fiver, and a Helios 2x converter (M42) for £2. Also a Kobo ebook reader for a fiver, which seems to be working OK - I'm currently charging it up before I reset it for my own use.

Nearly didn't bother with the third venue, since I was feeling a bit tired and only had about £25 left, but luckily I decided to go for it, and got a good condition Nikon F50 with a 35-70 AF zoom for £12. No idea yet if the body is OK, haven't tested it yet, but the lenses are still quite popular because they're full frame, so I ought to do well out of that one.

Missed out on two auctions, one last night and the other tonight - the REALLY annoying one was the lot yesterday evening where I simply forgot to bid until it was too late, and it went unsold and has been relisted. The odds of that happening again are probably not good. The one tonight was simply me being outbid, which I don't mind so much.
07-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #22963

Olympus 40-150 F/2.8 Pro - a great cashback deal at the moment.

I also bought these but I don't see me keeping any (though my shelf would suggest I have said that before and not been honest with myself)

Canon FD 135mm F/3.5
Olympus Zuiko Auto-Zoom 50-90mm F/3.5
Olympus E.Zuiko Auto-T 100mm F/3.5
Olympus E.Zuiko Auto-T 150mm F/4
Olympus Zuiko Zoom 100-200mm F/5
RMC Tokina EMZ 80-200mm F/4.5
Sigma Zoom II 60-200mm F4-5.6
Rodenstock Retina-Heligon C 80mm F/4
Rodenstock Retina-Heligon C 50mm F/2.8
Fujica STX-1
X-Fujinon 50mm F/1.9 FM
Pentax-M Zoom 75-150mm F/4
Pentax MV
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F/2
Kodak Retina IIC (Type 029)

07-11-2021, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #22964
Pentaxian

Not at all camera related. Although I will be using it to work on bits of things that will eventually be featured in photos, so…. <grin>

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-13-2022 at 05:01 PM.
07-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #22965
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I acquisitioned the "expired 35mm film" bug/version of "G.A.S" which would be, uh... "F.A.S."??

4 rolls of Fujichrome RF 50*
3 rolls of Fujichrome Sensia II 100*
9 rolls of Fujichrome Sensia 200*
5 rolls of FPP Retrochrome 400**

1 roll of Ilford HP5
1 roll of Fujichrome Provia 400F
1 roll of Kodak Fine Grain Safety Film

*from UltrafineOnline's etsy
**straight from Film Photography Project
The last 3 from etsy (the Ilford & Fuji films are from same seller in France)