Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #23176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
additionally, and this is just something that I do, once I find a P/KA adapter that works with that lens, I leave the adapter on that lens... if I need to source/buy another adapter for a different lens, then I will...
After wholeheartedly concurring with your appreciation for the A Star 1.4/85mm... here I am supporting your little pearl of wisdom regarding PK/A Adaptall-2 adapters :-)
I love/hate these thingies. Most of my most loved Adaptall lenses were either purchased with the "A" adapter, or found one along the way, cause I find much easier to use a lens with camera-controlled diaphragm than to always remember to go green button, not to mention support for ttl-flash and such. Unfortunately these adapters are moody, and not always easy to be swapped from lens to lens according to the need. Personally I found that some adapters that don't work well (or at all!) with one objective can be matched to another lens more easily, or that the same adapter/lens combo can work, as by magic, only after a number of tentatives.
To all those who love their SP lenses, please consider Pepperberry Farm's suggestion: if a PK/A adapter works well, consider leaving it on. If you need another one, take the time to find a decently priced one or (could be cheaper) buy a dirty cheap lens with the adapter attached.
The only lenses that don't benefit from the presence of the electric contact are the catadioptrics, and the only lens that has a small functional problem is the SP 5.6/300mm (but with an easy hack the max aperture can be read correctly).

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 07-31-2021 at 02:20 AM.
07-30-2021, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #23177
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

and KEH delivered this, in between the Takumars:
I needed/wanted a new walk-around zoom, since I sold my DA L 55-300mm....
Superzoom lenses get a bad rap from some quarters, but I wouldn't want to be without one in my lens cupboard. There are days where you just can't beat the convenience of one lens for every conceivable FoV... and, with later models like yours, the image quality is typically better than many folks would expect, especially if you stop down a little

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-30-2021 at 10:07 PM.
07-30-2021, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #23178
Pentaxian

I have one of these, bought for my Pentax K-m. It was not easy to use on the K-m with a max useful ISO of 400 and such a long barrel, but I should give it a better test on my K-70 at ISO 1600 or thereabouts. The same-vintage Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 was good on the K-m.
07-31-2021, 05:08 AM   #23179
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
After wholeheartedly concurring with your appreciation for the A Star 1.4/85mm... here I am supporting your little pearl of wisdom regarding PK/A Adaptall-2 adapters :-)
I love/hate these thingies. Most of my most loved Adaptall lenses were either purchased with the "A" adapter, or found one along the way, cause I find much easier to use a lens with camera-controlled diaphragm than to always remember to go green button, not to mention support for ttl-flash and such. Unfortunately these adapters are moody, and not always easy to be swapped from lens to lens according to the need. Personally I found that some adapters that don't work well (or at all!) with one objective can be matched to another lens more easily, or that the same adapter/lens combo can work, as by magic, only after a number of tentatives.
To all those who love their SP lenses, please consider Pepperberry Farm's suggestion: if a PK/A adapter works well, consider leaving it on. If you need another one, take the time to find a decently priced one or (could be cheaper) buy a dirty cheap lens with the adapter attached.
The only lenses that don't benefit from the presence of the electric contact are the catadioptrics, and the only lens that has a small functional problem is the SP 5.6/300mm (but with an easy hack the max aperture can be read correctly).

thank you - one other interesting thing that I've found about Adaptalls...

recently, I purchased a 63B - which is truly an amazing lens - but it also came with several spares, one being an adapter for usage on a Fuji X camera

this adapter does away with all the fiddly-moody issues of the original Adaptall and makes whatever lens you've mounted it to just a simple/fully-manual lens....

it was a nice change from the will it/why not issues of the P/KA Adaptall mount....

07-31-2021, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #23180

Pentax Bellows K

I bought this recently from Oneill, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It appears to be in "as new" condition, and I am sure it will do a great job. I need to get a decent tripod that doesn't weigh a ton before I can really make use of it (the old Velbon aluminum tripod I have is a pain to lug around). Trying to do macro hand held is tough enough with extension tubes; it is pretty much impossible with the bellows... My NEXT acquisition will definitely be a lighter/better tripod.
07-31-2021, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #23181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mx/ smc-m 28-50

My first classic camera purchase in several months, MX with SMC-M 28-50mm f3.5~4.5. $85 including shipping. The only problem I can find with the camera and lens; the camera needs new mirror foam and back seals. Lens is clean. Camera sounds and feels like new. I have another MX, however it has a slow shutter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-31-2021, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #23182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably shouldn't have done this (please don't brand me as a traitor) but I couldn't resist picking up a Sony A7Riii today.

07-31-2021, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #23183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Probably shouldn't have done this (please don't brand me as a traitor) but I couldn't resist picking up a Sony A7Riii today.
As long as you adapt Pentax lenses on it, you'll be fiiine 😂
07-31-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #23184
Pentaxian

How do you like the hot shoe bubble level? I see them at the camera shop all the time, but never can seem to talk myself into spending $7
07-31-2021, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #23185
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
never can seem to talk myself into spending $7
Are you sure you're in the correct forums?!
07-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #23186
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
How do you like the hot shoe bubble level? I see them at the camera shop all the time, but never can seem to talk myself into spending $7
I use them on all my camera bodies - it's an easy/quick way to determine how level I am if I'm not looking through the viewer....
07-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #23187
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I won't brand you, but my choice from that line would have been an A7II...they being such a good value and all.

Steve
07-31-2021, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #23188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife has wanted a backup generator for years. If we lived in a rural setting, I think we would. Our city...touch wood...has generally had a very reliable electrical power supply and so far, power blackouts seem to happen to us about every 18 months or so. We are fortunate as our province generates all of it's electrical power through a number of hydro dams, within the province.
Here is the interesting thing...
We not only live in town (a rural village) but our home is on the same main circuit as the local hospital. In other words, the only outages we see tend to be short lived. After losing power once for about 90 minutes, my wife bought us a 5kw 'portable' (meaning it has wheels) generator as my Christmas gift. Next spring I spent nearly as much as the generator cost wiring in a power transfer arrangement to comply with electricity codes, and that was doing the work myself - my wife was shocked at the cost.

The fuel conversion kit (again my labor), outdoor gas supply line and having a licensed plumber install the outdoor natural gas outlet, was again nearly the cost of the generator.

In the time we have owned the generator, we had one larger area outage lasting about 5 hours. I had about 7 hours operating time available from on hand gasoline. Once I saw the outage would be more than 15 minutes, I had the house up and running - only to find our cable company internet provider had a defective backup power system. As I worked remotely, I was able to use my cellphone (metered data) to let my employer know I would have to cancel all my meetings until grid power was restored.

Still... we have a hot water heating system in our 1906 home. Should we lose power in the winter for around one day or longer and experience cracked pipes or radiators, repairs could easily exceed US$100,000.

---------- Post added 07-31-21 at 07:30 PM ----------

Originally posted by trixtroll*
I use them on all my camera bodies - it's an easy/quick way to determine how level I am if I'm not looking through the viewer....
I have a natural tendency to compose a couple degrees off horizontal. Possibly because I have one leg slightly shorter than the other. I haven't put one yet on my K-1, but I have one on both my Super Program and my K-3. Mostly I use it when shooting from a tripod as a preliminary setting on the K-3. Obviously I use it frequently on a film camera. And $7? I think my last purchase was less than that including shipping for a pair.
08-01-2021, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #23189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got three new Pentax brand rear lens caps for my Samyang lenses. They cover the contacts better than the original.

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 05:46 PM ----------

I got a new (to me) 58mm adapter for my Kenko circular fisheye adapter. I only had a 49mm before. Fun toy!
08-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #23190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Here is the interesting thing...
We not only live in town (a rural village) but our home is on the same main circuit as the local hospital. In other words, the only outages we see tend to be short lived. After losing power once for about 90 minutes, my wife bought us a 5kw 'portable' (meaning it has wheels) generator as my Christmas gift. Next spring I spent nearly as much as the generator cost wiring in a power transfer arrangement to comply with electricity codes, and that was doing the work myself - my wife was shocked at the cost.

The fuel conversion kit (again my labor), outdoor gas supply line and having a licensed plumber install the outdoor natural gas outlet, was again nearly the cost of the generator.

In the time we have owned the generator, we had one larger area outage lasting about 5 hours. I had about 7 hours operating time available from on hand gasoline. Once I saw the outage would be more than 15 minutes, I had the house up and running - only to find our cable company internet provider had a defective backup power system. As I worked remotely, I was able to use my cellphone (metered data) to let my employer know I would have to cancel all my meetings until grid power was restored.

Still... we have a hot water heating system in our 1906 home. Should we lose power in the winter for around one day or longer and experience cracked pipes or radiators, repairs could easily exceed US$100,000.
Didn't realize there was that much to do, when it came to hook ups.

Reading your post, made me wonder, in the future...say some decades from now, what will be used to fuel (currently gas, diesel) emergency generators when the electricity goes out (blackouts, brownouts) and will there still be gasoline/diesel/ natural gas available...or will that also be phased out after a suitable 'grandfather' period sometimes after the manufacture of internal combustion engines is banned ? I don't know, Up here, we have very little information from our Feds.

Currently we have a natural gas powered furnace that we had installed back in 1995. It is getting on in years and when time comes to replace it....I have pondered do I get another natural gas furnace...or electric heating ? Hmmmnnn.