Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #23326
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It's really difficult to get contractors at the moment. I EMAILed a general contractor to do a small job = replace a 10X14 flat roof on a garden shed. Six weeks wait before he'll come to look at the job, then he'll decide whether or not he wants to do it, then decide what he'll charge for the job, then see how it fits into his schedule. My estimate? Maybe next summer for $10,000, but he might have to postpone, or cancel, and there might be additional unanticipated costs. I built the shed in the early 1970's. As I recall, I invested no more than $500 in material to build the shed, plus maybe $15 to get the plans for it. With the arthritis in my knees I cannot tackle this simple task.
Ten grand for a 10x14 foot flat roof?

That’s highway robbery.

08-19-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #23327
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I've also contacted a couple other companies for quote and they never even returned my calls.
When I was trying to get quotes to build my house about 16 years ago I was disappointed how many flakey contractors there are. Ultimately I wound up with a very good one.
08-19-2021, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #23328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ten grand for a 10x14 foot flat roof?

That’s highway robbery.
Of course that is my guess, and it is dripping with sarcasm (as the T-shirts say, just one of the many services I provide). Maybe he'll come in at some reasonable level. I looked into replacing the shed entirely, but I could only get the cost of the shed itself (about $5500) not what it would cost to have the old shed removed, the new one installed, and possibly the cost of new supports under the shed. Regulations have changed. The old shed is supported on eight 4X4X8 solid cement blocks set vertically in the ground. Today I might need eight cement filled sonotubes set below frost level (I think the local regulation is 36"). I doubt I could install such supports myself as previous digging in the yard has exposed impressive boulders, some over two feet across. No getting one of those up from 20 inches with only a manual post-hole digger.
08-19-2021, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #23329
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

21 yen and it looks barely used. There is usually a reason for that and yes. Haze inside. Just at the borders (as well is a tiny fungussy looking thing). So probably it will blow out the corners. (Same optical formula as the Pentax-F 35-135mm).

edit: First tests indicated it hardly suffers from the hazy bit

Last edited by D1N0; 08-19-2021 at 07:28 AM.
08-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #23330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You've over-paid by a factor of around 20 based on lens performance
Lol. I’ve got that lens kindly given to me by a fellow board member but never really tried it out much. The post you were replying to got me thinking maybe I should give it a go….. then I saw your post. Seriously, I’m sure it’s a useable lens that can give nice results but I’ve got too many better options in that focal range to bother. Ought to get off my butt and pass it on to someone else.
08-19-2021, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #23331
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Lol. I’ve got that lens kindly given to me by a fellow board member but never really tried it out much. The post you were replying to got me thinking maybe I should give it a go….. then I saw your post. Seriously, I’m sure it’s a useable lens that can give nice results but I’ve got too many better options in that focal range to bother. Ought to get off my butt and pass it on to someone else.
A few samples: Takumar-A Zoom 28-80mm 1:3.5-4.5 | Flickr But if you have it up your butt i'll pass.
08-19-2021, 01:32 PM - 5 Likes   #23332
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Found out I could get these bulk at Amazon with "free" delivery using Prime. I have a chronic cough and when I found 180ct for less than I was paying for 30ct at the supermarket. No brainer!

Name:  20210818_194208.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  116.1 KB

Steve

08-19-2021, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #23333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a new 55-300 DA PLM lens. Thinking back, this is my first piece of photo equipment in 45 years that has been purchased new , and after a few shots, it's 100% worth the dollars!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by rvandenbrink; 08-19-2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: updated
08-20-2021, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #23334
Veteran Member

I’m very close to buying one new too. Seems like they used to come up for sale frequently in the very low $300s but haven’t seen one in that range for a while. Adorama has it for $50 off currently bringing it just under $400.

Just ordered a used O-GPS1 from Adorama for a pretty good price.
08-20-2021, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #23335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$48 Can for a new front déraiileur for my bicycle, installed and adjusted. The tiny screw that held the shift cable stripped.
08-21-2021, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #23336
Pentaxian

Customs decided to save up and bring three at once.

Came in attached to a black Spotmatic that seems to be working. Early version of the Super-Takumar 105mm 1:2.8 with ribbed aperture ring.

Looking good just a bit shrunk focus rubber.

That was my last K-mount rear cap that went on there.

compared to the Takumar-A
08-21-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #23337
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just picked up a very cheap, new / old stock, factory sealed "Lenovo ThinkCentre M72e Tiny (4004)" mini desktop business PC, circa 2012 / 2013, complete with detachable optical drive / VESA mount enclosure, full size wired USB keyboard and wired USB mouse. As the model name implies, it really is small - just 7.1" wide by 7.2" deep by 1.4" in height (179 x 182 x 34.5mm) for the PC itself, without the optical drive enclosure.
I paid GBP £70 inc. shipping for the PC, which - considering it's brand new, metal cased, and came with the dual WiFi antennae, optical drive / VESA mount, quality keyboard and mouse, and Win 7 Pro (upgraded to activated Win 10 Pro at zero cost) - is cheap IMHO, even given the lowly specification. The Kioxia Exceria 240GB SSD cost another GBP £26 with free Amazon Prime delivery, and I've ordered an additional 4GB RAM Kingston RAM, brand new for £12 shipped, arriving next week. 8GB total RAM will be more than ample for anything I'll ever throw at this little puppy, especially under linux...
So, I'm into this project for GBP £108 (~ USD $150 at current forex rates). That seems like a pretty good deal to me, all things considered.

--

I'm wavering over one final potential upgrade: a used-but-tested dual-core, four-thread i5-3470T CPU to replace the humble G645T, for GBP £20 shipped. This would boost performance significantly, with single thread improvement of around 50%, plus the benefit of hyper-threading. I'm not sure I really need it... but it's a very inexpensive upgrade. I'm sorely tempted
Further to my recent post, I upgraded my new / old stock Lenovo M72e Tiny PC with an extra 4GB RAM, giving me 8GB total. Temptation got the better of me (as it often does ) and I ordered a used dual-core, four-thread i5-3470T CPU and some thermal paste - total cost under GBP £22 shipped - in order to replace the dual-core, two-thread G645T. The CPU and paste arrived today, so I installed it this afternoon...

I'd never installed a CPU before, and on my first attempt I think I was a bit too economical with the thermal paste between the processor and heatsink (I'd read that you should use a "pea-sized" blob, but mine was more "petit pois" ). In testing, the temperatures were frequenty reaching throttling level before the BIOS-controlled fan had a chance to spin up and cool it back down. Thankfully, the second attempt was more successful. Now, under heavy load, it creeps up more slowly towards the throttling level, but the fan speed increases in line with that and keeps it below the threshold at peak

The higher core speed and boost, hyper-threading and faster integrated graphics translate into much better performance overall. It was decent enough before, but fairly zips along now!

With the RAM, SSD and CPU upgrades, and the switch from Windows to Ubuntu MATE 20.04, I think I've exhausted the possibilities for optimising this little machine. It has some limitations that can't be overcome, such as the SATA II interface and USB 2.0-only ports; and whilst I could upgrade the WiFi card to dual band, I have solid bandwidth to the router from anywhere in my home, so it's not really necessary. Plus, I'm already invested to the tune of GBP £130, and I think that's where I'd like to stop. It's been fun, and I'm happy with the result

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-21-2021 at 11:33 AM.
08-21-2021, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #23338
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ordered from B&H:
A Archival Methods Binder box to put all my archival pages of 35mm film I have in (mainly due to how hot/humid its been here in Cali the last few months),

And for when I start digitizing my film:
A Western Digital 1TB Elements Potable external hard drive (I have thumbdrive, but its only 64GB and ~70% full), and a 32GB Kingston Canvas React UHS-II memory card (came with card reader)
08-21-2021, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #23339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Lenovo Chromebook Duet - The design is similar to a Microsoft Surface Pro - essentially a tablet with a magnetically connected keyboard/touchpad to facilitate laptop style use. The back cover is a separate magnetically attached plate with a built-in kickstand. This is the unit with the larger 128GB storage drive and includes an active pen. While they are back to US$339, I caught mine on a brief-time sale for US$249.

I have a fairly high-end HP 2 in 1 14" laptop and this 10.1" unit isn't even close in capabilities. What it is however is something between my laptop and my phone that is 'good enough' for communications and browsing and can fit into my camera field bag and/or work when I need to travel and don't have a need for the laptop's greater capabilities.

As it happens Chromebooks can also run many Android apps (and many can run a Linux subsystem). I've loaded some of the same apps I have on my phone - and I am going to give Ricoh's Android app a try for remote tethering to my K-1. If it works, and if nothing else, we are visiting each of our kids' families (Texas and Florida) in late September and we can use the unit as a big Live View monitor aimed at our group (with me in it) for a selfie group portrait. And send a copy to family members on the spot.
Attached Images

08-21-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #23340

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
And for when I start digitizing my film:
A Western Digital 1TB Elements Potable external hard drive (I have thumbdrive, but its only 64GB and ~70% full), and a 32GB Kingston Canvas React UHS-II memory card (came with card reader)
I just got a 5 TB drive from Costco, $30 off so it was $95 USD! Prices have really dropped over time. I'm in the process of moving family videos from 8mm, Hi-8 and Digital-8 video tapes to computer, and they take up a lot of room. So far I've got the years 1992-1997 converted, I'm about 30% thru my boxes of tapes.
My conversion process uses a Sony camcorder from 2003 that converts the tapes to FireWire, and an old iMac (2011?) that has Firewire input. If either of those break down, I'm SOL.