Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #23416
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
`

How's that working for you? Because I have THIS arriving in the mail on Monday or Tuesday! Super Cosina 100-500mm f5.6-8... (And guess who made the Vivitar...)
Some pictures I took with it here - summary, it's pretty good but a modern lens could probably do better:

Vivitar S1 100-500 5.6-8.0 on Nikon D90 | Flickr

---------- Post added 08-28-21 at 11:47 AM ----------

Today wasn't as good as yesterday but I got a Praktica Nova body with Meritar 2.9/50 and case for £7, and an M42 Soligor 3.5/200 and a Cherry 2x converter for £10. The Praktica will be going for spares/repairs since the shutter is borked, and the Meritar unfortunately turns out to have a little fungus, but it's working anyway - I'll probably make a profit since they don't seem to be around cheaply in the UK. The 200mm and converter are both very good, working and fungus-free.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 08-28-2021 at 12:01 PM.
08-28-2021, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #23417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It finally arrived. Finally. A Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 20mm. I am still waiting for the o.e.m. hood to wind its way thru the mail. It looks nice. The optics are perfect, no dust, fungus, scratches, or wipe marks. The barrel action is smooth and even. The paint and lettering are as the day it came out of the factory except for a couple of spots on the a/m switch. Original caps. All for $179.

I am impressed. It is much, much better than my Vivitar 19mm F3.8. Color, resolution, contrast. (All on my K1 II)* I don't know why many years ago the old Pentax film group called it the bow-wow lens. I don't know how it compares to the hard to get FA 20 or the upcoming DFA 21, but it is pretty good and the best at that FL in FF that I've got. Someday I'll compare it to my DA 21 on my K3 III.

*The Vivitar was easier to focus thru the eyepiece because it is brighter f3.8 vs f4.5 and easier to meter because of the K-mount meter coupling.
08-28-2021, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #23418
Veteran Member

It arrived!

It's... big.

08-29-2021, 04:41 AM   #23419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
It arrived!

It's... big.
I had that lens for a year or so, worked well on my K-30 and K-r.

08-29-2021, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #23420
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a care package form my son in Germany. Lots of treats of various kinds of chocolate treats But also one tube of honey and one tube labelled pfefferoni. Seems to be made with pepperoncinis so it should be great on things like burgers.
08-29-2021, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #23421
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Super Takumar 28/3.5 with OEM caps & hood....
Nice lens! I had use of one several years ago as part of the Sightseeing Screwmount project (traveling Pentax SV) and was so pleased with its performance that I bought the SMC version a few years later.

One of my favs from downtown Portland taken with the ST 28/3.5 and the Sightseer...

Pentax SV, Super Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100

Steve
08-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #23422
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nice lens! I had use of one several years ago as part of the Sightseeing Screwmount project (traveling Pentax SV) and was so pleased with its performance that I bought the SMC version a few years later.

One of my favs from downtown Portland taken with the ST 28/3.5 and the Sightseer...

Pentax SV, Super Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100

Steve

nice work, Steve...

I almost held out for the early/fat version, but this one has the come-hither price, in addition to the OEM hood....

08-29-2021, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #23423
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I almost held out for the early/fat version, but this one has the come-hither price, in addition to the OEM hood...
I had a copy of the early version and it was not in the same league. The later version does look very cool with the original hood, I have one too.

Steve
08-29-2021, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #23424
Pentaxian

After a long pause I just bought a new (to me) lens I've always wanted to try. It's the famous Kiron 100/105mm macro. I found the Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 version in PKA mount, which is exactly the same lens as the Vivitar Series 1 2.5/105mm, Lester E Dine, Kiron... just with a slightly different build.
I found online suggestions that the former non-series 1 version could have been better, even a photo magazine comparative that tested the two lenses at the same time. I wouldn't be so sure about that, I tend to believe that it could have been due to sample variation, not a real optical difference.
Had little time to test it properly, but I already found that the sharpness is very good even wide open. With the diaphragm ring on A position it's a pleasure to use on my K-1.
I promised myself that this is the last 100mm macro I buy. This is the fifth, I already had way more than enough, but I have always wanted this one, so I made an exception :-)

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 08-30-2021 at 09:25 AM.
08-29-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #23425
Pentaxian

Today was another round of cheapish stuff from the older and crappier end of the spectrum

At the first sale I got a Pentacon 2.8/135 in M42 - unfortunately the stop-down pin is missing, but it does stop down if the mechanism is worked by a small screwdriver so it's repairable. Cost a fiver and hopefully won't be too hard to fix, and seems to be relatively clean and fungus free.

At the second I got two lots of stuff fairly cheaply from people who were packing up to go home and wanted to shift things. The first was a Sigma AF 70-300 for Minolta AF and a Tokina 80-200 for Canon FD, both very dirty externally, for a fiver, and both unfortunately full of fungus once I got them cleaned up enough to look inside. It's annoying because both work mechanically. I'll probably be able to sell the Sigma for a fiver or so, it isn't that bad, but the Tokina is a write-off, not worth trying to sell. It's always a gamble with this stuff, and this time I didn't win.

The second was a weird assortment of odds and ends for £20. A Minolta Dynax 4 with a 28-80 3.5-5.6, a Tokina 70-210 for Nikon AI, an Olympus T20 flash, and a Sigma 28-80 3.5-4.5 for Pentax AF - unfortunately there's something wrong with the AF drive and it's manual focus only - and five or six assorted lens caps. They're all reasonably clean and working apart from the Sigma problem, so hopefully will make a modest profit.

Not a huge triumph overall, but at least I found some interesting stuff today, and Friday at least was very good - last week was terrible.
08-29-2021, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #23426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Local camera store had a big extravaganza over the weekend. Despite calling ahead of time to verify they had it and reserving it, they sold the lens I originally went in for. I did find this though, just released (not for the native species unfortunately) and had to have it.
Attached Images

08-29-2021, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #23427
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The only keyboard I'm willing to own is the Cherry G80-3000 CHERRY G80-3000. I've been using them on all my home computers for the past twenty years or more, and in the unlikely event of one of them failing I'll just get another. The microswitch keys have got a wonderfully tactile, clicky feel and sound that's just like typing on a high quality electric typewriter and every bit as good as the legendary original IBM PC keyboard. Whenever I find myself having to type on a crappy membrane keyboard, my speed halves and it feels like I'm dipping my fingertips into a bowl of blancmange. Ugh.
Those guys do not seem to sell them. Just talk about it like a museum piece.
08-29-2021, 11:25 PM - 2 Likes   #23428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
It finally arrived. Finally. A Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 20mm. I am still waiting for the o.e.m. hood to wind its way thru the mail. It looks nice. The optics are perfect, no dust, fungus, scratches, or wipe marks. The barrel action is smooth and even. The paint and lettering are as the day it came out of the factory except for a couple of spots on the a/m switch. Original caps. All for $179.

I am impressed. It is much, much better than my Vivitar 19mm F3.8. Color, resolution, contrast. (All on my K1 II)* I don't know why many years ago the old Pentax film group called it the bow-wow lens. I don't know how it compares to the hard to get FA 20 or the upcoming DFA 21, but it is pretty good and the best at that FL in FF that I've got. Someday I'll compare it to my DA 21 on my K3 III.

*The Vivitar was easier to focus thru the eyepiece because it is brighter f3.8 vs f4.5 and easier to meter because of the K-mount meter coupling.
Congratulations. Good price for one of my favourite lenses. I bought one for a bit more than that some years ago while in a small hotel near Newark airport in NJ, with cases and the original hood. Interesting design of that, in two parts.
I like the lens so much it is my go to wide in preference to the Takumar 28 and 24.
08-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #23429
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Those guys do not seem to sell them. Just talk about it like a museum piece.
The Keyboard Company here in the UK has them in stock:

Superior Gold Contact, MX Blue Click Keyboard, Black : G80-3000LSCGB-2 : The Keyboard Company

Quite reasonably priced, too. They also have them in original IBM beige, for the hardcore vintage fans
08-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #23430
Pentaxian

Agree, good value given the inflated prices of many lower end keywords here. Bigger numbers in pounds than the number in US in USD.

Prices of many things here reflect a cost plus attitude rather than striving for efficiency.