Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #23521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used Timbuk2 XS size classic messenger bag

$10 plus shipping on eBay

The new Timbuk2 bags don't appear to be made as well as the old ones.

Something that doesn't look like a camera bag for my daughter's new Pentax MX.
Now to find a cheap photo insert to fit on Amazon...

Chris

09-15-2021, 07:05 PM - 3 Likes   #23522
Pentaxian

Was browsing ebay looking at Takumar stuff (as one does) and I noticed a Super-Tak 135mm f3.5 for 10 dollars shipped. I wonder what's wrong with it but honestly how could I not pull the trigger on it? Even includes the original hood. Assuming it's functional it'll be mainly used on the spotmatic.
09-16-2021, 03:16 AM - 3 Likes   #23523
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As part of a mini project to build out an economical but effective film negative "scanning" solution, I've just ordered an interesting little product designed and manufactured here in the UK... the EFH Essential Film Holder Kit.

Using interchangeable masks, the EFH is designed to hold 35mm or 120 film strips perfectly flat with minimal risk of scratching and contamination, whilst diffusing whatever light source is used to illuminate them from behind, so you can capture them with a digital camera. A typical setup comprises an LED light panel placed on the floor, the EFH - with film strip loaded - resting on top of the panel, and a tripod-mounted camera pointing down at the EFH, aligned as best as possible to capture the frame with minimal perspective distortion. Alternatively, a copy stand could be used in place of the tripod; and that's an option I'm seriously considering, as setup and alignment should be considerably easier.

I looked at various film holder products from companies such as Kaiser, Skier, Lomography and others, but this seems to be a more elegant and well-thought-through solution... plus it's not badly priced, at GBP £90 shipped (worldwide) for the 35mm + 120 kit, plus - optionally - another £30 for a set of additional 35mm + 120 masks that show the film sprockets and/or borders (I've ordered these too). Of course, you need to add a suitable light source for illumination, and I'm researching options for that. In a pinch, a smartphone or tablet will suffice, but a high-CRI 5000 - 5600K LED panel is a far better choice, especially for colour films.

Amateur Photographer magazine reviewed the EFH, and gave it five stars out of five. Since then a more refined version 3 has been released. Folks who've used it seem to be very impressed, so I'm hopeful it'll do the job nicely.

It's a small, family operation that manufacturers and sells this. They assemble each unit by hand, then test with film to ensure it's problem-free before shipping. Currently, it's taking them around three weeks from date of order to ship, so I have a little while to wait before I receive it; which is fine, as it'll be a few weeks before I'm in a position to test it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-16-2021 at 08:23 AM.
09-16-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #23524
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
A bit of a novelty lens for next month's SIC (I need something fun) - the Pentax -110 70mm f2.8 which I will pair with my tiny Olympus E-PM1. Why not, right...
of course - why not?

09-16-2021, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #23525
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
lol

no secrets here - unusual, maybe - Super Takumar and SMC Takumars were made using yellow ink on the aperture ring and the "1:2/55" on the front lens ring....

no reason given by Asahi/Pentax, either....
I never knew that and I have had my Asahi Pentax S1a body and Super Takumar 55mm F 2 lens, since I bought them both, new in Feb. 1969. It all still works and I still use my Sekonic Light Meter, I bought at the same time when using this fine, old camera.

In fact this whole kit and kaboodle partially earned my living in '69 and '70'.

After reading your post, I checked and sure enough the '1:2/55' is in yellow ink. It is quite distinctive and now that I notice it, after 51 years ....thanks to you, for mentioning it...I quite like it and wonder how I didn't notice it for more than half a century.
09-16-2021, 01:29 PM - 6 Likes   #23526
Pentaxian

SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro is in the house...

Wow, this thing is sharp even wide open. So at longer distances, even though the focus throw is short for that, I can still focus fine. I can tell I'm going to have fun with that lens...

09-16-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #23527
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro is in the house...Wow, this thing is sharp even wide open. So at longer distances, even though the focus throw is short for that, I can still focus fine. I can tell I'm going to have fun with that lens...
Sweet! Enjoy!!!

09-16-2021, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #23528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As part of a mini project to build out an economical but effective film negative "scanning" solution, I've just ordered an interesting little product designed and manufactured here in the UK... the EFH Essential Film Holder Kit.
This looks interesting. Please keep everyone updated with how you get on with it.

---------- Post added 09-16-21 at 02:14 PM ----------

Is there anyone who does not love this lens? It's certainly a desert island one or me. Enjoy.
09-17-2021, 05:18 AM   #23529
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Was browsing ebay looking at Takumar stuff (as one does) and I noticed a Super-Tak 135mm f3.5 for 10 dollars shipped. I wonder what's wrong with it but honestly how could I not pull the trigger on it? Even includes the original hood. Assuming it's functional it'll be mainly used on the spotmatic.
If any of it is any good you win. That lens type is nice to use.
09-17-2021, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #23530
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, this thing is sharp even wide open. So at longer distances, even though the focus throw is short for that, I can still focus fine. I can tell I'm going to have fun with that lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote

Is there anyone who does not love this lens? It's certainly a desert island one or me. Enjoy.

it is what I call a 'revelation lens' for me - why doesn't everyone have one of these in their bag, right?

I realize that it is a macro lens and it is supposed to be sharp..... but it's stupidly-good....
09-17-2021, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #23531
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

an actual 'new' lens for me, rather than a used one:

Laowa Argus 33mm f0.95 APO, for my Fuji X-bodies....
09-17-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #23532
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
why doesn't everyone have one of these in their bag, right?
I have 2 copies of it... Just like I have 2 copies of my Minolta AF 50/2.8 Macro. Why? Well, the obvious...
09-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #23533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I have 2 copies of it... Just like I have 2 copies of my Minolta AF 50/2.8 Macro. Why? Well, the obvious...
I'm not at the level of GAS yet where I have two copies of a lens... I can only use one at a time anyway

I have considered getting a 2nd copy of my HD DA 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC RE only because it's plastic and I can see it breaking easily if I ever drop the camera or something hits it. And I love that little thing.
09-17-2021, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #23534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not at the level of GAS yet where I have two copies of a lens... I can only use one at a time anyway
I have 3 copies of the Tamron SP II 70-210mm f3.5 to 4. The older 2 touch version! One is a bit ropey at the mount, hence the second acquisition, but I could not resist the third as they were all stupidly low priced for such a great lens.
09-17-2021, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #23535
Pentaxian

My excuse was - one for the SLR and another for the dSLR (I am so easily convinced...)