Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #23551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Just won the auction of a "special" lens. Any guesses?

By the way any recommendations for black markers?
In years past, with small spots on the front lens I’ve used India ink with a very small paint brush with only a bristle or two.

09-19-2021, 02:46 AM   #23552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I spent a couple hours auditioning speakers. Really liked the B&W''s. Also found some Martin Logan electrostats I liked (had ML's before). One wasn't really better than the other, just a different sound. The B&W's were borderline on what I was willing to spend. The Logans were a little over but I was considering it. I decided to hold off and see what else I could find and went to another store in town. Ended up walking away with some Magnepans that had just been traded in for about half of what I would have spent on the others. They're a little larger than what I think my wife will tolerate but not too offensive. We'll see...
Oh boy. I've never heard electrostats before (outside of Stax headphones), but I've heard good things. And that they are a nightmare to drive. Also, good luck with your wife. Which ones did you get? And how are you going to power them? I suppose the NAD C298 might be able to do the job?

Just saw a good deal on Adidas Ultraboost 21, and as my old Ultraboost 3.0 have holes in them... it's been an expensive month. Anyway I pretty much exclusively wear Ultraboost, be it for running or just to walk around, so I'll absolutely get my moneys worth out of them.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-19-2021 at 08:15 AM.
09-20-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #23553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
an actual 'new' lens for me, rather than a used one:

Laowa Argus 33mm f0.95 APO, for my Fuji X-bodies....
Are you aware that there are much cheaper 35mm f/0.95 options for X mount that have essentially the same performance? I have my eye on a 7Artisans one, over here it's €270.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
SMC-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro is in the house...

Wow, this thing is sharp even wide open. So at longer distances, even though the focus throw is short for that, I can still focus fine. I can tell I'm going to have fun with that lens...
This is the only 50mm macro I've tried that would have a serious chance of replacing a non-macro fast fifty for general use. It's a fantastic lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Not sure when I posted the last time, but there were a couple of things I got in recent times.

Focal Kanta N1 speakers + matching stands. They look great, and sound even better. Musicians are precisely positioned between, behind, in front and besides the speakers. Details appear that, with my old speakers, were hidden. And the best thing of all is, despite all this, they don't become annoying. Even with less than stellar recordings. I do need a better amp though...

Bowers & Wilkins DB4S subwoofer. I'm quite impressed how powerful it is, given that it's a 10" in a closed enclosure. Sounds good for music, too. Lots of smart features included. And I also like the way it looks.
That album is thirty years old in four days....
09-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #23554
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Are you aware that there are much cheaper 35mm f/0.95 options for X mount that have essentially the same performance? I have my eye on a 7Artisans one, over here it's €270.
yes and no - I'm aware of other 35/0.95 options, but from the comparisons I've been reading, the Laowa may be better due to the apochromatic element....

09-20-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #23555
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This review mentions some of the performance and handling differences:

The f/0.95 Lens Battle: Laowa Argus 33mmF0.95 vs Zhongyi Mitakon 35mmF0.95 vs 7Artisans 35mmF0.95 - Fuji Rumors

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-20-2021 at 08:02 AM.
09-20-2021, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #23556
Pentaxian

My old and much abused Sigma 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 lens "disappeared" somewhere in the house after I took it out of my "to go" backpack before going to Ruislip Lido for Sunday lunch and a "walkaround" - and I just couldn't then seem to find it again!

Needing something relatively cheap and quick to get, I looked at the SRS site and found this lens at £199.99 - but then I looked on eBay, and found the same lens from SRS at £179.10!

"Out of curiosity" I then phoned SRS to "find out more" about this "discrepancy" and was the lens still available? Nicki confirmed that the lens was still available and then went away to check on the price "issue" - and returned to tell me that the lower price was from a now-expired offer, but that they would still honour it!

Therefore I popped up to Watford that afternoon (Thursday), had a quick look and "play" with it on the K-70 - it is in in v.g.c./excellent condition, and everything seemed fine and so I bought it, together with the accompanying leather case, as I wanted it for a wedding last weekend.

A very quick and easy transaction - so thank you very much to Nicki at SRS

Last edited by jeallen01; 09-20-2021 at 07:53 AM.
09-20-2021, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #23557
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Following my purchase of the EFH Essential Film Holder, I've been looking at light sources for back-lighting negatives during camera "scanning". Initially, I was considering the Dorr LT-2020 - a nice little unit, decent diffuser, 5600K colour temp and CRI >= 90 (not bad) and powered by a DC adapter. Then I looked at video lights, as the EFH film holder has its own diffuser, so having one on the light source isn't essential. I came close to buying the Viltrox L116T... a very well-regarded budget model with rechargeable battery, adjustable colour temp and CRI >= 95 (allegedly ); but it doesn't lie flat on the floor or table, resting instead on the NP-F550 battery, which isn't the most stable setup. I finally chose the Kaiser Fototechnik 2453 Slimlite Plano. It looks suspiciously similar (virtually identical?) to much, much cheaper no-name tracing panels, but unlike those the colour temp is pretty much ideal at 5000K, the CRI is 95, and it can be powered from USB, a DC adapter or the integrated Li-ion battery. Since Kaiser sells it specifically for viewing and scanning slides and negatives, I'm hopeful I've made the right choice...

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.
09-20-2021, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #23558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been looking for something like that for viewing 35mm slides and negatives.

Chris
09-20-2021, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #23559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been spending entirely too much time on Facebook Marketplace and eBay...

The first thing I noticed about this listing for an Argus Autronic and C3 was the shiny shutter-cocking lever. They went to black during WWII and never went back. Then I noticed the uncoated Cintar and the lack of flash sync holes...C2...

Unfortunately the shutter needs to be fixed, someone probably turned the shutter-speed dial the wrong way...

The Autronic has some condition issues, but it was never going to leave the shelf anyway...

Got a very nice Nikkor 28/3.5 at a good price. Free shipping too. 1971-June 1973 range, probably 1972.

Picked up two copies of the 105/2.5...One Gauss, one Sonnar. After I try them out I'll probably sell one...

The Helios 103 was "free" with the Contax RF to Fuji X adapter...

Probably paid too much for the Flektogon...didn't notice the listing said it had haze...

Bought it because of the Tomioka lens...good price even though the rangefinder is out of alignment.

I have a weakness for Cosina made cameras...this is the C/Y version.

A little disappointing, the shutter speed dial is missing the shutter speeds...and the lens has slugging aperture blades...

But I bought it because the lot included a Zoom-Nikkor 35-70/3.5

And I wanted a Xenar 45/2.8 instead of the 50/2.8...
09-20-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #23560
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
My old and much abused Sigma 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 lens "disappeared" somewhere in the house after I took it out of my "to go" backpack before going to Ruislip Lido for Sunday lunch and a "walkaround" - and I just couldn't then seem to find it again!
I have the 3.5 constant aperture version (do a lot of night shooting) and its one of the best purchases I've made. I usually rock the vintage stuff, but that option isn't available at a sane price for vintage glass.

Its one of my go-to's, and mine spent a day at a wedding as well - which I wasn't expecting, but it served its purpose VERY well.
09-20-2021, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #23561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 NOS Nikon 52mm front lens caps

$9.99 plus postage on eBay

Circa 1970's i.e. first AI-Nikkors
Still in gold Nikon F boxes

A Nikon collector would keep them in their boxes
but I bought them to use...

Chris
09-20-2021, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #23562
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Helios 103 was "free" with the Contax RF to Fuji X adapter...
That's a decent lens. I like mine.

Steve
09-21-2021, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #23563
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have been looking for something like that for viewing 35mm slides and negatives.
If you consider buying one, Chris, make sure it's the latest version. The older one had a CRI of 88 which isn't ideal for either viewing or scanning slides and negatives. It's OK, but certain colours may not appear precisely as they should. The newer version has a CRI of 95, clearly marked on the box.
09-21-2021, 03:54 AM - 3 Likes   #23564
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

glamour shot time....

the most recent arrival - one NOS/NIB DA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ED AL (IF):

09-21-2021, 04:00 AM - 4 Likes   #23565
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I also noticed that I had not taken/posted any SMU shots of the TT Artisan 35mm f1.4: