Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2021, 04:47 AM - 4 Likes   #23641
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm 3.5 51B Finally scored one at a reasonable price.

10-02-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #23642
Pentaxian

Pentax SMC 135mm f2.5. I've been wanting this lens for ages, finally found a nice copy. It's in great shape and was pretty well priced including the original hood.

It joins the m 135/3.5 and takumar bayonet 135/2.5, probably/currently my favorite focal length on the k1ii.
10-03-2021, 05:02 AM - 4 Likes   #23643
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took Dartmoor Dave's advice and bought an early Super-Takumar 35mm f2...
10-03-2021, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #23644
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I just bought a lovely Rokkor-X 24mm for my Minolta…..

I’ve been working a lot of OT and the CFO hasn’t commented on the packages that keep arriving, but I really need to slow down on camera/lens purchases and focus my efforts on a home scanning solution.
Lens arrived earlier this week, plus I finally got around to shooting the first two rolls since the camera came back from getting a CLA.

We shall see….

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
10-04-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #23645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghpicard Quote
A Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 "with some small fungus that don't affect at all the IQ"... text in commas from the advertisement.

A missing grub screw that could (not) be seen in the online photos was a sign that someone had been messing with the poor lens. I was right: the external driver helicoid was badly damaged (I had to remove almost a complete turn of the thread to make it operate as it should again. Besides, the aperture mechanism had been put together the wrong way and as a result the aperture only worked the first two steps from fully open, and also one of the two linear guides was missing...

Once I corrected that and replaced the solid vaseline the previous owner used to lubricate the helicoid by proper synthetic grease (I couldn't do anything about the missing guide), the only task left was to clean the fungus in the front and back groups. I succeeded in the former and failed in the latter. The groups metallic assemblies were fixed with some enamel, but being the back group so small I don't have enough grip (even using rubber gloves and straps) to unscrew it.
And of course, once putting it together I discovered that the previous "tech" had not matched the helicoids the right way so I can't make the lens to get infinity focus.
So much fun for just 30 USD!!!
For 30 USD I would expect a working Rikenon 50 1.7... you were too kind to the seller by not sending it back...
10-04-2021, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #23646
Pentaxian

Another job lot - nothing that immediately screams "I'm worth buying this entire lot", just a lot of things that between them ought to make a reasonable profit.

For £31.99 including postage I got

A boxed SMC Pentax-FA 35-80 4-5.6 in good used condition
A set of metal tubes for PK-M
A set of metal tubes for Canon EF and EF-S
Three good exposure meters - a Weston Euromaster V with invercone, a Russian Vega 4, and a Gossen Lunasix 3, all working well
Six electronic flashes
and various filters.

Everything seems to work, and while I won't make a huge profit I shouldn't lose out.

Also, unfortunately, received one return today - a Canon 50E I sold a few weeks ago. The buyer claimed it was faulty - I can't find anything wrong, but I've had to give a refund anyway. So for now I'm out the cost of the camera and two lots of postage, though hopefully I'll sell it for a good price when I re-list it.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 10-04-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: 50E not 5E
10-04-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #23647
Pentaxian

s-m-c Takumar 135mm 1:3.5 because I didn't have it yet. (Do have two versions of the Super-Takumar and the original silver and black takumar version) It looks like the auto-takumar version is most rare version.

10-04-2021, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #23648
Veteran Member

Completely non-exciting, and I bought it by accident (thought the ad was for a 35mm, not a 50mm), but its with some amusement I can say its my first "A" 50mm. The other dozen or so 50's I own are all strictly manual lenses.

10-05-2021, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #23649
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
My MX arrived today. It is mint apart from a curtain that isn't quite closing. Probably needs a lube or simply some use. £45 inc postage. Luvverly
That's exactly what I paid for my first MX, which was my first SLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I took Dartmoor Dave's advice and bought an early Super-Takumar 35mm f2...
I hope that's the version with a larger filter size. I owned the 49mm filter size version for a while and I have to say it was a pretty poor lens, never got sharp in the corners even on APS-C.

Speaking of 35mm f/2 lenses....

Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2

I had been debating what to do with my current lens funds, the front runner had been a 35mm f/0.95 manual lens for Fuji X mount, but I saw this pop up on my usual used-goods app and I couldn't resist - vintage manual lenses get me in a way that new manual ones don't. The M version, which is apparently optically identical, is my favourite ever manual lens (not yet displaced by the K 28/2 as I haven't had the opportunity to really use it as much). This copy of the A version looked in good condition in the ad and was located close to home. I don't think I've ever seen an A 35mm f/2 for sale, and certainly not anywhere local to allow me to inspect and test before I buy. At €250 it's far and away the most I've ever paid for a manual lens but it's in mint condition and working perfectly.
10-05-2021, 04:18 AM   #23650
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's exactly what I paid for my first MX, which was my first SLR.

I hope that's the version with a larger filter size. I owned the 49mm filter size version for a while and I have to say it was a pretty poor lens, never got sharp in the corners even on APS-C
it is - I had a copy of the later 49mm version and sold it off; I did not care for it's rendering at all plus I have an exceptional copy of the K35/2...

QuoteQuote:
Speaking of 35mm f/2 lenses....

Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2

Pentax SMC-A 35mm f/2

I had been debating what to do with my current lens funds, the front runner had been a 35mm f/0.95 manual lens for Fuji X mount, but I saw this pop up on my usual used-goods app and I couldn't resist - vintage manual lenses get me in a way that new manual ones don't. The M version, which is apparently optically identical, is my favourite ever manual lens (not yet displaced by the K 28/2 as I haven't had the opportunity to really use it as much). This copy of the A version looked in good condition in the ad and was located close to home. I don't think I've ever seen an A 35mm f/2 for sale, and certainly not anywhere local to allow me to inspect and test before I buy. At €250 it's far and away the most I've ever paid for a manual lens but it's in mint condition and working perfectly.
nice - that lens is on a short list for later this year....
10-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #23651
Pentaxian

Lens arrived earlier this week, plus I finally got around to shooting the first two rolls since the camera came back from getting a CLA.

We shall see….
Reading your post made me think of two grand, old Minoltas from the film past. One, is the Minolta XK. A camera, I believe was made to compete with the 35mm pro bodies such as the Nikon F (2 or 3, not sure), Canon F1, Pentax LX. I've seen an LX, almost got one, used an F2, have an F1. But I've not seen an XK in the flesh.

The other Minolta, was the Leica/ Minolta CLE (I hope I recall these letters, correctly) . This was a camera, back when it was avaialble new, that I did consider getting. Believe it has a legendary status among Minolta fans.

The Minolta line was one camera company that I was sad to see go. Think it was absorbed into Sony, but if so, I would of liked for Sony to have called their camera line 'Minolta'.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...hTMwdiU-FzJsCJ
10-05-2021, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #23652
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For 30 USD I would expect a working Rikenon 50 1.7... you were too kind to the seller by not sending it back...
I think that is about what I paid for an XR-1 with XR Rikenon 50/1.7 attached, both in excellent condition.

Steve
10-05-2021, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #23653
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Reading your post made me think of two grand, old Minoltas from the film past. One, is the Minolta XK. A camera, I believe was made to compete with the 35mm pro bodies such as the Nikon F (2 or 3, not sure), Canon F1, Pentax LX. I've seen an LX, almost got one, used an F2, have an F1. But I've not seen an XK in the flesh.

The other Minolta, was the Leica/ Minolta CLE (I hope I recall these letters, correctly) . This was a camera, back when it was avaialble new, that I did consider getting. Believe it has a legendary status among Minolta fans.

The Minolta line was one camera company that I was sad to see go. Think it was absorbed into Sony, but if so, I would of liked for Sony to have called their camera line 'Minolta'.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...hTMwdiU-FzJsCJ
I’ve honestly never had a warm spot for Minolta bodies, but Leica allegedly rebadged some of the Minolta lenses. Hopefully this 24 has the fairy dust.

Minolta Rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 – How could I forget? – Four Billion Years
10-05-2021, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #23654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I have a fair bit of experience with Minolta bodies. This started in 1982 when I inherited my grandfather's SR1 with 55mm f2.0 PF lens. I loved the camera. Big, not too heavy and nice shutter mech. Various Minolta bodies have followed over the years XG1, X700, X500, XE1/7, XD7/s, XK, SRT101, SRT303 and CLE. I still own the SR1, SRT303, X700, XE1/7, XK, XD7/s. Frankly they have been a mixed bag. The XD models are very nice and have proved reliable. The XE ones, although having sublime handing, less so. The XK is a beast. Too heavy and fiddly and not as well thought out as its competitors of the time the Nikon F2 and Canon F1. Contax RTS and Nikon F3 blow it away in my experience as would a Pentax LX. Still very nice though. The SR1 ploughs on but could do with a CLA as could the SRT303. The SR101 and X500 have developed faults which, though the cameras are still usable are frustrating and not economical to fix The XG1 has died but the X700 still keeps going. The CLE is an odd fish. It's nice but has no metered manual or AE lock (like the budget XG1) so can be inconvenient to use but has off the film plane metering (cutting edge at the time). It feels very light and gives the impression of not being very robust. I seems expensive for what it is. TBH I prefer using an Olympus 35 RC instead as a rangefinder. The best ones to actually use are the XD and XE models. Super smooth operation and great in the hand feel. However they are now very old and the XE line electronics no longer reliable.
Some of the Minolta lenses are very nice for film and still reasonably priced. My favourites are MC 35mm f2.8, MD 45mm f2, MC 58mm f1.4 and MD 85mm f2.
10-05-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #23655
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I’ve honestly never had a warm spot for Minolta bodies, but Leica allegedly rebadged some of the Minolta lenses. Hopefully this 24 has the fairy dust.
Dang! I should stay away from this thread. I am fond of my SRT 101 and that 24mm will fit. I have the focal length covered in Minolta SR-mount, courtesy of Tamron, but your link along with the Rokkor Files review has created an itch.

Steve