Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #23686
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stand alone external hard drive just arrived -

WD 4TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0, USB 2.0 Compatible

10-10-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #23687
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another interesting weekend in the car boot and related junk mines.

Friday was a disappointment - I went to see a seller who claims to have 300 cameras, but when I got there he hadn't dug them out of his storage locker, for the third time. I'm giving it one more go then I'll give up on him.

Saturday's car boot sale was a dead loss, but in Portobello Road I got a good clean Helios 44-M-4 for £12 and a 49mm skylight filter for £0.50

And today I hit three car boot sales and got stuff at two of them.

At the first I got a working, but not very nice, Canon AE1 with 50/1.8 for £20 - this was a bit of a mistake, it looked OK at first glance but under inspection lights I found some fungus in the lens and viewfinder, which means I'll probably make a loss or at best break even.

At the second I got
An SMC Takumar 1:2/55 for £15 - some fungus but looks cleanable
A Braun Paxette 35 Auto for £3 - not sure the meter works properly, but manual aperture and speed are OK. Further research needed, but I won't lose on it.
An Ilford Sportsman camera with 45mm f2.8 lens and Prontor SVS shutter (with case and hood) for £2 - some dust but seems to work OK
and

(drum roll)

A perfect Pentax-110 18mm f2.8 with skylight filter - for a pound! No camera etc, just the one lens. Can't really lose on this one, and I'm hoping it'll make the day a lot more profitable.

after that the third sale - lots of non-camera stuff but nothing I wanted - was a little anticlimactic but on the whole I think I'll do OK.
10-11-2021, 03:00 AM   #23688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This is just FYI for anyone looking for miscellaneous adapters, try Thor Labs especially the product section called "Optical Component Thread Adapters." This will take you directly to that page of the product listings:

Optical Component Thread Adapters - Thorlabs

Since I ordered a couple of RMS to M42 adapters years ago, they seem to have cut down on the diversity of adapters they offer. Pity.
I ordered mine from RAF Camera. The m65 to m42 I could only find on ebay
10-11-2021, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #23689
Pentaxian

Update on yesterday's SMC Takumar 1.7/50 - it cleaned up quite well, the fungus was only in the rear element, which was easy enough to remove and clean. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than it was.

And today I got a very nice Meritar 50/2.9 and a good Tessar 50/2.8 for £28.78 including postage, ordered from a charity site last week. Won't make a huge amount on them but it's a charity I support so I'm not too worried.

10-11-2021, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #23690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paid for part of a wedding reception.
Here is a camera photo of my son and daughter-in-law.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
10-11-2021, 07:21 PM - 5 Likes   #23691
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one of the two latest arrivals - one M42, the other X-mount...

the M42 first, from 1963 - the early/fat Super-Takumar 35mm f2:

not a museum piece, but used and in great condition...
10-11-2021, 07:23 PM - 3 Likes   #23692
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the other lens, for X-mount....

Laowa Argus CF 33mm f0.95 APO:

10-12-2021, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #23693
Pentaxian

Auto-Tak 105

10-12-2021, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #23694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A friend of mine was going through her late fathers photo gear and gave me couple things, a Kodak Tourist Camera and this Bell and Howell Dial 35 half frame. Although I already have a Tourist Camera, I’d never seen a Dial 35. Both are in mint condition with cases and manuals.

The Dial 35 apparently has some value to some collectors considering its condition so I am returning it to her this evening.

Do I need to cross post this in the Deacquisition thread as well?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-12-2021, 05:49 AM - 3 Likes   #23695
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
A friend of mine was going through her late fathers photo gear and gave me couple things, a Kodak Tourist Camera and this Bell and Howell Dial 35 half frame. Although I already have a Tourist Camera, I’d never seen a Dial 35. Both are in mint condition with cases and manuals.

The Dial 35 apparently has some value to some collectors considering its condition so I am returning it to her this evening.

Do I need to cross post this in the Deacquisition thread as well?

I vaguely remember advertising and comments in photomags on the "Dial." It was regarded as innovative, but odd. I believe - as so often is the case - it was admired for its originality but was too unusual to be popular.

Doing a little quick research. Bell and Howell was for a short time the USA distributor for Canon and the Dial was a rebranded Canon camera that was also sold under the Canon label. Part of the lack of its success may be that it was a bit awkward to hold, especially in vertical/portrait formal Most half-frame cameras in normal orientation gave vertical or portrait format on the film. The Dial put the film chamber vertically, film cassette and winding spool one above the other so when held in "normal" orientation the camera gave a horizontal/landscape format on the film in the manner of a 35mm camera. That was unusual, but I don't know if it was unique among half-frame cameras.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-12-2021 at 10:04 AM.
10-12-2021, 06:02 AM - 5 Likes   #23696
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Picked up a new office chair. Kinda photo related as I sit there when I edit. Cat approves of it.
Attached Images

10-12-2021, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #23697
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to @MightyMike

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-12-2021 at 05:12 PM.
10-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #23698
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I vaguely remember advertising and comments in photomags on the "Dial." It was regarded as innovative, but odd. I believe - as so often is the case - it was admired for its originality but was too unusual to be popular.

Doing a little quick research. Bell and Howell was for a short time the USA distributor for Canon and the Dial was a rebranded Canon camera that was also sold under the Canon label. Part of the lack of its success may be that it was a bit awkward to hold, especially in vertical/portrait formal Most half-frame cameras in normal orientation gave vertical or portrait format on the film. The Dial put the film chamber vertically, film cassette and winding spool one above the other so when held in "normal" orientation the camera gave a horizontal/landscape format on the film in the manner of a 35mm camera. That was unusual, but I don't know if it was unique among half-frame cameras.
Vertical transport half-frame cameras were not unique to Canon...ie. Taron Chic and Yashica Rapide.
10-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #23699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Vertical transport half-frame cameras were not unique to Canon...ie. Taron Chic and Yashica Rapide.
I've never heard of the "Taron" brand, and I cannot remember seeing or hearing anything about the Yashica Rapide. Thanks for that additional info, I'm always glad to learn something new , except maybe from my PCP .
10-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #23700
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks to @MightMike

Cool! Do you have a waist-level finder to go with?

Steve