Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #24241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Petri Color 35 camera
That's a sweet looking machine. Any idea what the IQ is like yet?

12-23-2021, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #24242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A set of wraps for my tripod legs... may not sound very sexy or exciting, but let me assure you that they provide a first class insulation for my hands and body when carrying in cold conditions.

Made from 4mm neoprene, plain black, reversible with velcro seam. Made to fit the top/main first section of your tripod legs, inexpensive too.
Me too.

Not for the comfort, but for the piece of mind. I worry about scratching, chipping, or nicking the carbon fiber and hurting or ruining my Manfrotto carbon fiber 055 or 190 tripods.

My ancient 20 plus year old Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BPRO, all aluminum has none, gets cold, has nicks and scratchs and I don't care.
12-23-2021, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #24243
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm not familiar with the specific model but it seems a lot for a compact rangefinder that only goes to f/2.8.
The camera the Rollei 35 should have been...

Petri Color 35

Steve
12-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #24244
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
but for the peace of mind. I worry about scratching, chipping, or nicking the carbon fibre
I hadn't thought about them that way... I guess that's an additional secondary benefit for my beloved Gitzo.

My "aged" Benbo (39 years old this January coming) is built better than most armoured vehicles, it also seems to finished in a Hammerite like paint, so wraps definitely not required.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-23-2021 at 02:02 PM.
12-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #24245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The camera the Rollei 35 should have been...

Petri Color 35

Steve
There’s a name from the past! My eldest daughter’s first camera was a Petri, but not one of that series, which I bought her on the basis of their reputation.
12-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #24246
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Made from 4mm neoprene, plain black, reversible with velcro seam. Made to fit the top/main first section of your tripod legs, inexpensive too.
Out of curiosity, what brand and where did these come from?

Steve
12-23-2021, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #24247
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Out of curiosity, what brand and where did these come from? Steve
I believe they are made in house by Wildlife Watching Supplies, here's a link to their website.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...vqjBYntdzdUYfo

And a link to my wee mini review here on the forum.

Wildlife Watching Supplies, Wraps,Tripod Leg, Neoprene reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

12-23-2021, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #24248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, what brand and where did these come from?

Steve
Also lenscoat at b&h and amazon for Manfrotto 055 pro carbon fiber

amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Lw115bk&N=0&Init...rch=yes&sts=ma
12-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #24249
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe they are made in house by Wildlife Watching Supplies, here's a link to their website.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...vqjBYntdzdUYfo

And a link to my wee mini review here on the forum.

Wildlife Watching Supplies, Wraps,Tripod Leg, Neoprene reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thanks!

Steve
12-23-2021, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #24250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
That's a sweet looking machine. Any idea what the IQ is like yet?
If it's like my copy, quite nice, if a little soft sometimes at wider apertures. It renders a bit of a "classic" look which I like.

12-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #24251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Petri Color 35

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm not familiar with the specific model but it seems a lot for a compact rangefinder that only goes to f/2.8.

As is so often the case specifications don't tell all.
FWIW today you'd pay quite a bit more than that for a clean working Olympus 35RC.

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
If it's like my copy, quite nice, if a little soft sometimes at wider apertures. It renders a bit of a "classic" look which I like.

My previous copy was very good as well.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-27-2021 at 07:10 AM.
12-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #24252
Loyal Site Supporter

Rec'd my Mavic Mini drone today. A little too windy this afternoon for any outdoor flying and I wasn't going to risk indoor since I have zippity experience yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer.

My wife is hoping this relatively cheap drone is going to satisfy my curiosity.
12-23-2021, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #24253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A stereo saga

Yesterday I bought two loudspeakers made by B&W, a renowned British maker, at a pawn shop. They're in perfect cosmetic condition and working order. They wanted $18 each, but I bargained them down to $25 for both. "Thank you for taking them off our hands,'' the clerk said as I carried them out the door.

"Wait!" you'd be saying now, if you know about audio gear and its brands. "B&W is an elite manufacturer. Many of their speakers sell for five figures. That ain't possible." Well, it's ... improbable, but true. There was a catch with these speakers, which is why I didn't call them a pair. They're single stereo speakers of two different models. The larger one, the B&W DM 602s3 has a 7-inch woofer, slightly larger than the DM 303. The bigger difference is, one has a front-firing bass port, while the other is open to the rear. And I'm using this setup, for now, in a plastic-glazed greenhouse, so there's no rear wall reinforcement.

Setting them up for a first listening, after clearing away cobwebs and wasp nests from my slightly decrepit horticultural structure, I wired them to a large Yamaha receiver. Immediately it was obvious that this experiment has potential. These B&Ws both used the same tweeters, with unique baffling technology borrowed their flagship Nautilus loudspeaker. The woofers are made of kevlar. It's techy! On first listen, the tweeters were singing like angels, but the bottom end sound of the speakers didn't match up. Since the rear ports of the 303s were projecting back out into the open air, the bass player sounded to be somewhere off stage right, too shy to step out in front of the crowd. Nobody would want to listen to that for long. The speakers seemed useless as a pair, but I had one more idea.

Did I say that the B&Ws were my most recent purchase? No, that was the Polk Audio subwoofer I got today at another nearby pawn. Compact, tasteful and powerful, it has the audio controls I need to balance the audio system. The subwoofer claims all the musical frequencies below 60- to 120 Hz, so the B&Ws' mismatched bass sections don't even come into play. The sub anchors the bass in the center, where it belongs. Now, it all sounds astounding. There's a vivid sonic chandelier of instruments and voices suspended between the speakers. If my greenhouse was heated, I'd be out there still tonight, enjoying the sound. As an inveterate bargain-hunter and gatherer, it's satisfying to bag this kind of big game game, a first-rate speaker system or a total of $65. All assembled from unwanted components... it's like the dream stereo system from the Island of Misfit Toys.
12-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #24254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
It's actually cheap for this model, it is a rare camera, and comparable in many ways to the Rollei 35, which goes for more than that. Also, it's not a rangefinder but a scale focus camera. Do these cameras go for more than they're worth? Depends, it's all about what you want to shoot with and whether you want to enjoy the process as much or more than the results. It is super well-made, with a heavy, clicky, positive feel to everything.
Always good to pick up more info on classic cameras. I'm all for well-built but it's not something I would buy, though I enjoy the only scale focus, or "guess focus" as I call them, camera that I have, but that cost me 15GBP I think.
12-24-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #24255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A new old stock PK/A Tamron Adaptall-2 mount in the box and a pristine Tokina AT-X SD 80-200/2.8 manual focus zoom. I don’t think the Tokina was ever used more than once. I needed another zoom in this focal length range about as much as a third nostril, but GAS required its purchase.. The Adaptall-2 mount gives me three that mostly work, about all you can expect with the notoriously buggy PK/A version.