Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #24286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That L-398 is a beauty... I've looked at it numerous times when considering different models. It's beyond my needs and budget - but an impressive bit of gear... and I love that it doesn't need a battery

I'd have been more than happy to buy an older meter, but finding one that's guaranteed accurate is easier said than done
Have to admit, part of it was the history and the look and the no battery . I have an older Sekonic bought in the 1980's, that uses a battery, which is no longer available. Didn't want to have that issue again.

12-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #24287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
How do you find it in use?
I haven't used it to photograph with it yet, I think I should put it on a digital and see what it comes up with compared to the camera meter.

It reacts fast, the dials turn well, the LEDs are bright, easy to tell apart. The aperture/ISO dial is clickless, the shutter speed dial does have clicks. Some signs of use on the silver screws used to hold the dials, otherwise it looks flawless.
12-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #24288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a variable IR pass filter to use on my full spectrum K-01. It only cost $25. I will see what different frequency cut-offs look like.

It operates like a polarizer. Now I need a sunny day!
12-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #24289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did some preliminary testing on the IR filter. It is the Fotga brand. I used it on my Pentax 20-40 lens. It is my go to IR lens.

It is marked 530-720nm. Based on my experience with the trees in my neighborhood, the filter does not get up the cut-off of 720nm there is a little too much color there. At the other end it is not quite as colorful as the 530nm images I have seen from the camera conversion websites, however the trees near my house are not the same as those in the web images. It is not an apples to apples comparison. I can't be sure.

The is no banding or crosses present on the images. The images, thru the filter might be a little soft, I can't be sure. I did not use a tripod, nor did I use test chart to check.

This filter is just for play to help me decide which non 720nm cut-offs good filters I want to try. To spend $25 on the Fonga is better than buying three or four $100 filters to find the cut-offs frequenciesI like.

12-28-2021, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #24290
Pentaxian

A Flickr Pro subscription. I’ll be honest, it’s not the cheapest option but a long shot but it serves a purpose for me.
I might be tempted to scale back on the number of photos I have uploaded and be more critical of my own work if the price increases any more, however.
12-29-2021, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #24291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
A Flickr Pro subscription. I’ll be honest, it’s not the cheapest option but a long shot but it serves a purpose for me.
I might be tempted to scale back on the number of photos I have uploaded and be more critical of my own work if the price increases any more, however.
I renewed mine a few weeks ago. It gets more expensive every year but I have a lot of images there and I like the site, especially the groups. Not long after renewing they sent me a survey which was almost entirely questions about how much I'd be prepared to pay before looking for something else and I have to say that has me worried. It seems they're going to crank up the price based not on what the site actually costs but on just how high they can crank it before all their customers disappear.
12-29-2021, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #24292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I renewed mine a few weeks ago. It gets more expensive every year but I have a lot of images there and I like the site, especially the groups. Not long after renewing they sent me a survey which was almost entirely questions about how much I'd be prepared to pay before looking for something else and I have to say that has me worried. It seems they're going to crank up the price based not on what the site actually costs but on just how high they can crank it before all their customers disappear.
I don’t think there was much difference between this year and last year, truthfully.
Hopefully they don’t crank things up or I will be looking elsewhere.

12-29-2021, 03:05 AM - 5 Likes   #24293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After many years and failed attempts to find a decent and affordable 50mm to go with my Canon P, I have given up and splurged on a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 in LTM, which arrived today.

12-29-2021, 03:21 AM - 5 Likes   #24294
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Finally arrived after a lot of hassle with the dysfunctional mail system:
SMC Pentax 24mm 1:2.8

12-29-2021, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #24295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I only got HD DA 70mm Limited. Just arrived, waiting for January 1 to become my Single in lens

Shot with Samsung S21 so sorry for lousy IQ :P
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G991B  Photo 
12-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #24296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought two more links and two more barrel connectors to extend my magic arm by eight inches.

This should make it much easier to have it hold reflectors, shades, or lights when it is attached to my MT190CXPRO4 tripod.
12-29-2021, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #24297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Finally arrived after a lot of hassle with the dysfunctional mail system:
SMC Pentax 24mm 1:2.8

That’s a great little lens. I bought one new to go with my K2DMD, and I used it on all my subsequent cameras until I found an FA*24 at a good price.
12-29-2021, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #24298
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
While seeking a fairly small WR lens for the K-1 I was reconciling myself to the 100WR macro. An excellent lens by all accounts and a decent fit between M85 and M135 - but not quite tiny. The *55/1.4 might do.. but I've a nice A50/1.4 so it too isn't quite what I seek.

Then I saw the sufficiently decent results of the DA18-50re past 28mm or so. A truly tiny lens that I've used before (and a fair copy for $55) convinced me.
For foul weather the kit of 18-50re (especially in 1:1 mode!) +85+135 should serve nicely. Coming soon!
12-30-2021, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #24299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I don’t think there was much difference between this year and last year, truthfully.
Hopefully they don’t crank things up or I will be looking elsewhere.
In previous years I've gotten discounts by holding out until the last minute to renew - I got progressively greater discounts as time went on. Now it just renews automatically at full price.

Well, I'm finally out of isolation and been able to go down to the post office to pick up the F-mount Vivitar AF 19-35mm. It's in great condition and seems to work well, it even looks quite handsome on the F801S. It came without a hood though and I thought I probably should have kept the hood when I sold my K-mount version a couple of years ago, but well. Unlike the K-mount version, where it was exclusively a super-wide-angle, on the Nikon it'll be a more general wide-angle lens. I might even use it at a focal length other than 19mm!!

My e-bay auto searches also picked up an AA battery pack for the SFXn at a decent buy-it-now price so I jumped on that before realising I bought another one a few months ago, so now I have a grand total of three, which is, I think, how many SFXns I've got. This is what happens when I accumulate stuff at my folks' house (due to Brexit) waiting to get home to pick it all up, but who knows when that'll be.
12-31-2021, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #24300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought a voigtlander vitomatic ii for £25. What a gorgeous thing. I hope it is as described