Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #24391
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Not strictly my latest acquisition but I borrowed the new Wacom graphics tablet from my daughter last night and now understand some of the excitement about these gadgets. Photo editing is much more fluid than waggling a mouse and pressure sensitivity makes things even more instinctive.
Oh, how is dodging and burning?

I generally do VERY little in terms of editing, but I've been wanting one for dodging and burning in Dark Table.

01-12-2022, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #24392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A D-BG6 and extra battery for my K-1, it was getting cross having to look up at the K-3III . Alongside the grip, I picked up the Rapid battery charger and a soft Pentax lens bag for my FA50/2.8 Macro.
01-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #24393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Teleconverter

I drove to Camera Canada and picked up the Pentax 1.4x teleconverter today, mostly for wildlife photos, bolted on to the 55-300 PLM. And of course, on the way home the skies were deserted, nothing to shoot - not a duck, not a crow, not a hawk - nothing stirring! I ended up shooting a streetsign just to make sure everything was working
01-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #24394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
Oh, how is dodging and burning?

I generally do VERY little in terms of editing, but I've been wanting one for dodging and burning in Dark Table.
For big area dodging or burning it's much like a mouse, but the real improvement is in detailed work, where the pressure sensitivity makes fine editing so easy. The scroll ring on the tablet can be set to change the brush size as you go which is really nice too. It will take time to get properly used to but as long as she lets me borrow the tablet it'll be time well spent.

01-12-2022, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #24395
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and one TTArtisan 23/1.4 for good measure...
01-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #24396
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As a consequence of the "13 colonies" that became the 13 original states, there are many "13 of" items in the Great Seal of the United States - - - the eagle has 13 arrows in one foot, an olive branch in the other foot has 13 olives and 13 leaves, there are 13 feathers in the eagle's tail, in his right wing and in his left wing; above the eagle's head there are 13 stars surrounded by a frame of 13 clouds; the shield in front of the eagle has 13 stripes, and there are 13 letters in "e pluribus unum.") With all those 13's in the Great Seal, I wonder if this country's luck will eventually run out.
I knew this, we had to learn it in grade school.

Also, the US flag has 13 alternating red and white stripes representing the original 13 colonies.

Makes me wonder how many younger people know this about our nation's history?
01-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #24397
Veteran Member

Not strictly my latest acquisition but I borrowed the new Wacom graphics tablet from my daughter last night and now understand some of the excitement about these gadgets. Photo editing is much more fluid than waggling a mouse and pressure sensitivity makes things even more instinctive.
I've never tried a graphics tablet, but I know several of my classmates use one or a regular tablet for notetaking. Seems pretty convenient, especially in the era of online learning and submitting assignments digitally. Personally I'm old fashioned still using paper, but I do see the benefits of such a tool for many applications from course work to photography.

01-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #24398
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've never tried a graphics tablet, but I know several of my classmates use one or a regular tablet for notetaking. Seems pretty convenient, especially in the era of online learning and submitting assignments digitally. Personally I'm old fashioned still using paper, but I do see the benefits of such a tool for many applications from course work to photography.
I used a tablet for note taking while in uni. After I finished, my younger brother acquired it off me and did the same.
Really handy, but wouldn’t have been any good for photoshop as I finished uni… 6 and a half years ago.
Wow, that time has flown by…
01-12-2022, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #24399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had one lecturer who went at such a pace we were writing frantically for 55 minutes at a time to keep up. My wrist aches at the memory. Pen and paper were our only option! I’m not sure a tablet would be a help in those circumstances, the sadist.
01-12-2022, 11:59 PM   #24400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Do what I have seen submitted, possibly as a way to avoid plagiarism sw catching out the student. Hand write the answer, then screw up the paper, then opening it out and flattening it just enough to photograph, then submit the photo as the assignment through the portal.

Pretty hard to read.
01-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #24401
Pentaxian

We had one lecturer who went at such a pace we were writing frantically for 55 minutes at a time to keep up. My wrist aches at the memory. Pen and paper were our only option! I’m not sure a tablet would be a help in those circumstances, the sadist.
I once had a lecturer who gave dictation for two hour classes, from his full text notes. He talked too slow to listen and take notes but a bit too fast to get it all written. He was always very rigid about answering assessment questions following his interpretation of the question scope and outline of answer. He contrasted with all the other lecturers in that degree.
01-13-2022, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #24402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Do what I have seen submitted, possibly as a way to avoid plagiarism sw catching out the student. Hand write the answer, then screw up the paper, then opening it out and flattening it just enough to photograph, then submit the photo as the assignment through the portal.

Pretty hard to read.
Plagiarism is less encountered in engineering: either the student understands say, how physical chemistry dictates the outcome of the refrigeration process or not and the proof and resulting calculations are not subject to interpretation.

The influence of James Joyce on the postmodern English novel? Good luck.
01-13-2022, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #24403
Pentaxian

I am an engineer.
01-13-2022, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #24404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
With all those 13's in the Great Seal, I wonder if this country's luck will eventually run out.
Some would say it already has, even quite some time ago...

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
and one TTArtisan 23/1.4 for good measure...
I've seen a lot of this lens around in the last few weeks, I imagine because of it's impressive price. As I have the Fujinon 23/2 and the Viltrox 23/1.4 I'm not really interested for myself but it's good that nice options are available.

I have to say though, like many of the recent manual lenses, it's really ugly.
01-13-2022, 05:47 AM   #24405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Pretty hard to read.
Our profs are big on legibility, if they can't read it or follow the answer, then marks go out the window.

That being said, if I don't get a problem, I put a few scribbles here and there and hope the marker assumes I know what I'm doing

Plagiarism is less encountered in engineering: either the student understands say, how physical chemistry dictates the outcome of the refrigeration process or not and the proof and resulting calculations are not subject to interpretation.
Apparently these last couple years have seen a sharp increase in academic integrity violations, especially in engineering too. Collaborating on quizzes, pinning up notes just out of view for finals, identical digital assignments just with the name changed, etc. Fools that do that, they're only screwing themselves over for the future.