Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2022, 10:46 AM - 5 Likes   #24811
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Just got delivery of a macro / reverse mount adapter - looking forward to playing with manual lenses and macro shooting !
I used an M 28/3.5 reversed to help a friend with a jewelry problem. A "jeweller" had badly scratched her wedding ring and she took him to court with help from an 8x10 inch print. The 28 reversed has a little over 2x on 35 mm film. She showed the print in court and the 'jeweller' caved. Best beer I ever earned.

03-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #24812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I used an M 28/3.5 reversed to help a friend with a jewelry problem. A "jeweller" had badly scratched her wedding ring and she took him to court with help from an 8x10 inch print. The 28 reversed has a little over 2x on 35 mm film. She showed the print in court and the 'jeweller' caved. Best beer I ever earned.
Cool! I’m finding that the aperture is important but the focus ring does just about nothing (on a 55mm reversed anyway) - I’m focusing by moving the camera instead. Aside from that it works great, the magnification factor really takes some getting used to! No opinion on image quality yet, looking for interesting subjects first
03-09-2022, 07:44 PM   #24813
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The 28mm f3.5 has a very good reputation for macro work when reversed, better than any of the higher speed, more expensive 28mm lenses made by Pentax. And to comment on a point made just above. When using a lens of wide to short telephoto focal length (about 90~100mm or shorter) for macro work at a reproduction ratio around 1:3 and higher it is always necessary to move the camera to focus rather than using the focusing ring. At magnifications of life size and greater, it's impossible* to focus using the focusing ring. The old rule is: at reproduction ratios above 1/4 life size, use the focusing ring to change /increase the ratio/magnification, move the entire camera+lens to achieve focus.

* If you want to think about why:
With a unit focusing lens (not internal focus) the distance the lens must be from the focal plane to achieve focus is determined by the distance between the front of the lens and the subject, As the reproduction ratio gets closer to 1:1 if you use the focus ring to move the lens further from the focal plane you simultaneously move the lens significantly closer to the subject which would require moving the lens yet further from the focal plane which would move the lens yet closer to the subject. etc. Focusing using the focus ring is not possible because of this loop that develops as you approach a life-size close-up.
03-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #24814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool! I’m finding that the aperture is important but the focus ring does just about nothing (on a 55mm reversed anyway) - I’m focusing by moving the camera instead. Aside from that it works great, the magnification factor really takes some getting used to! No opinion on image quality yet, looking for interesting subjects first
I was beginning to give you a quick lesson on what happens with a reversed lens, but Walt beat me to it. The magnification using the 28/3.5 reversed is very close to 2.1x (on the film plane!). By printing at 8x10, using the full frame which was basically filled with the image of the damaged ring, the damage was shown at somewhere around 16x life size.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The 28mm f3.5 has a very good reputation for macro work when reversed, better than any of the higher speed, more expensive 28mm lenses made by Pentax. And to comment on a point made just above. When using a lens of wide to short telephoto focal length (about 90~100mm or shorter) for macro work at a reproduction ratio around 1:3 and higher it is always necessary to move the camera to focus rather than using the focusing ring. At magnifications of life size and greater, it's impossible* to focus using the focusing ring. The old rule is: at reproduction ratios above 1/4 life size, use the focusing ring to change /increase the ratio/magnification, move the entire camera+lens to achieve focus.

With a unit focusing lens (not internal focus) the distance the lens must be from the focal plane to achieve focus is determined by the distance between the front of the lens and the subject, As the reproduction ratio gets closer to 1:1 if you use the focus ring to move the lens further from the focal plane you simultaneously move the lens significantly closer to the subject which would require moving the lens yet further from the focal plane which would move the lens yet closer to the subject. etc. Focusing using the focus ring is not possible because of this loop that develops as you approach a life-size close-up.

03-09-2022, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #24815
Pentaxian

After a few years' contemplation, I've ordered a reasonably broken-in Lumix ZS100. With 1-inch sensor, 4k stills/video and 25-250mm/e zoom, it's a well-featured camera for convenient access when photons converge inconveniently. I've yet to prioritize imaging with a smartphone, and I don't see it happening in the future.
03-10-2022, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #24816
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

Nicely stated, and now I get it.
It looks like I’ll be using the reverse method for **really** close work and situations where I have time to play, but will prefer my A zoom/macros for day-to-day work
03-10-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #24817
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely stated, and now I get it.
It looks like I’ll be using the reverse method for **really** close work and situations where I have time to play, but will prefer my A zoom/macros for day-to-day work
I'm using the FA 100/2.8 macro for my close work these days. With a 24 MP sensor and modern digital development tools, I can get 2x mag with 12 MP out of the FA, without the rigging necessary for reversal.

03-10-2022, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #24818
Pentaxian

Paid the deposit (£1450, with another £1500 to be paid after the work is done) on a new central heating boiler and associated plumbing, gas pipes, etc., to be installed next week. This is more expensive than just replacing the boiler etc. because it's a Victorian house and needs new gas pipes from the basement to the boiler two floors up and at the other end of the house - the standard for boiler gas pressure has changed since the old boiler was put in 30+ years ago. The final total is about £2000 LESS than the first quote I was given, by the company that had the maintenance contract for my old boiler which died last month. Three guesses which company will NOT be getting the contract on the new one when the warranty ends!
03-10-2022, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #24819

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Three guesses which company will NOT be getting the contract on the new one when the warranty ends!
Erm.... Pentax?
03-11-2022, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #24820
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two Nanlite FS series studio lights I'll often carry, but they don't come with a case which is less than convenient. I took a chance on a (used) PortaBrace PC-1 being large enough to carry both plus their reflectors and power cords. Well gosh by golly they both fit with room to spare! Now I have extra space there for a few other pieces I like to have with me. It's a really nice case too, very protecting of the gear inside. Love this thing. Sometimes a plan works out.
03-11-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #24821
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one K to FX adapter with a 41mm helicoid for shorter MFD's....
03-11-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #24822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghpicard Quote
Erm.... Pentax?
Yes, well, them too.
03-12-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #24823
Closed Account

A DJI Mini SE fly more combo

I don't yet know how much I'll use it but the idea is to use it as an extension of my photography and the jpeg images it produces are much better than I expected, so that's encouraging.

And I've done my flyer ID and operator ID, which is a slight faff but not difficult, just got to learn to fly it now.
03-12-2022, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #24824
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Just stopped by the post office and picked up a Tokina 500mm f/8 mirror lens and a Peak Design strap with a set of 4 anchor points. Both received from kind members over on the marketplace.

This brings me one step closer to actually buying a wrist/hand strap as I know Peak Design also makes those that work with these anchor points.
03-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #24825
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
A DJI Mini SE fly more combo
That's pretty cool. I have a friend out in CO who has had to learn to fly drones for her work. She's principally an editor, but she also has to do filming occasionally as well. And I think currently, since they made her get her license to be able to fly drones for commercial purposes, she's the only one able to use the drones for filming.

No idea what model she uses or what kind of pictures it can take, but the film footage she gets from it is pretty impressive. The one commercial they did was following some rally go-karts and it looked really good.