Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #25111

My typical process of laptop replacement is to kick the old one to a Linux laptop. Although the MSI GS73VR is a thin laptop, it's still 17" and a bit much to carry around some places. So I decided to pick up a Framework laptop. Not the best deal but I wholeheartedly support their mission of user serviceable laptops (they even send you a screwdriver to take it apart). All parts can be purchased from them if you break anything. You can buy with or without RAM, NVMe, USB C power supply, or wireless. 4 recessed USB C ports take dongles which mount in the chassis. Available dongles are USB C, USB A, micro-SD, HDMI, DP, or a flash drive (256GB or 1TB). Hopefully they get enough business to hang around and make a difference.

Then this morning I went to go to work... Truck worked normally until I tried to start then everything was dead. Battery is 5 years old so I got a new one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 6 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 6 Pro  Photo 
05-13-2022, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #25112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
My typical process of laptop replacement is to kick the old one to a Linux laptop. Although the MSI GS73VR is a thin laptop, it's still 17" and a bit much to carry around some places. So I decided to pick up a Framework laptop. Not the best deal but I wholeheartedly support their mission of user serviceable laptops (they even send you a screwdriver to take it apart). All parts can be purchased from them if you break anything. You can buy with or without RAM, NVMe, USB C power supply, or wireless. 4 recessed USB C ports take dongles which mount in the chassis. Available dongles are USB C, USB A, micro-SD, HDMI, DP, or a flash drive (256GB or 1TB). Hopefully they get enough business to hang around and make a difference.

Then this morning I went to go to work... Truck worked normally until I tried to start then everything was dead. Battery is 5 years old so I got a new one.
My Tundra (342,000 Km) has failed to start like that twice. Both problems were found with the nut sitting by the steering wheel who didn't close the driver's side door all the way draining the battery overnight. I bought the Tundra 7 Sep 2003 and have replaced the battery exactly once.
05-13-2022, 09:05 PM   #25113

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My Tundra (342,000 Km) has failed to start like that twice. Both problems were found with the nut sitting by the steering wheel who didn't close the driver's side door all the way draining the battery overnight. I bought the Tundra 7 Sep 2003 and have replaced the battery exactly once.
I've had that nut lose a couple times in the past. This time I didn't see any lose nuts so I figure it was the battery. Or something shorted that's draining it for me... Hoping it's just the battery.
05-13-2022, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #25114
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote

looks very Minty :-)

05-14-2022, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #25115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I overpaid on an Alden 74 bulk loader. When it arrived I discovered it had half a dozen rolls worth of FP4 film, making the loader something of a bargain. I also got 30m of fomapan 200 for £35. It was a good day
05-14-2022, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #25116

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
looks very Minty :-)
Found it long ago and kept with it due to nVidia support (I usually get nVidia cards in my laptops). Never really learned Linux like I should but I keep it around because it comes in handy.

As far as the laptop... Resolution is 2256 x 1504 (3:2) which looks great but Windows and Linux default to 200% scaling (reminds me of 800x600 displays). Being 13.5", 100% is too small and I like 150% on Windows but Linux doesn't handle fractional scaling very well so I'm sitting at 200%. The one flaw with the screen is it's glossy... Don't recall hearing about that in any of the reviews. The expansion cards are somewhat difficult to remove. It doesn't like my portable WD hard drive (acts like a Dell shutting down ports due to "power surges"). For an aluminum chassis, it is solid but about 90% of what I expected (it flexes a little more than other aluminum laptops I've used). After 2 days of use, I can say it's not perfect but it's a heck of a first try and there's nothing else like it on the market I see worse from brand names all the time so I am being picky. Hopefully they hang around and I can get my hands on another one to see how they improve it.
05-14-2022, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #25117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Six 675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries

Chris

05-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #25118
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

first of two lenses made in the Arsenal plant, this is the MC Kaleinar-5N 100mm f2.8:

for comparison's sake, that is an SMC M 85/2 on the right...

bare-metal blades:

and a significant amount of cleaning marks on the backside:

05-14-2022, 09:30 PM   #25119
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and the second: MC Mir-24N 35mm f2 (that is a Flektogon 35/2.4 on the right side)

cleaning marks up front:

and more bare-metal aperture blades:

05-15-2022, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #25120
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Harem Chaos"

Potentially turbulent times ahead in the "Harem", in terms of the carnage of acceptance jealousy... standard issue Kevlar protective clothing and helmet, are advised to be worn at all times throughout this entire process.

A new "Harem initiate" is currently inbound from another forum member. This will endeavour to plug an obvious focal length shortfall... well that's the tale Lady Kerrowdown has been told.

As is the way in our forum world, fellow members have always assisted in the naming process of my "Ladies" for their "Harem Membership".

The new unnamed candidate is a SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2... “Let the Games begin” as first uttered in ancient Greece in 776BC.
05-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #25121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Potentially turbulent times ahead in the "Harem", in terms of the carnage of acceptance jealousy... standard issue Kevlar protective clothing and helmet, are advised to be worn at all times throughout this entire process.

A new "Harem initiate" is currently inbound from another forum member. This will endeavour to plug an obvious focal length shortfall... well that's the tale Lady Kerrowdown has been told.

As is the way in our forum world, fellow members have always assisted in the naming process of my "Ladies" for their "Harem Membership".

The new unnamed candidate is a SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2... “Let the Games begin” as first uttered in ancient Greece in 776BC.

Circe (or Kirke if you prefer)
05-15-2022, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #25122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My latest aquisition is that I found somebody to do a CLA & bellows replacement on both of my Kodak folding cameras (Special 616 & Special 620). Mailed them both out to her yesterday.
05-16-2022, 04:40 AM   #25123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
A new MIM Player Stratocaster. Got at slight discount because it has a 21 instead of 22 fret neck. My first real Fender.
My first guitar was a Made In Mexico Strat just like that. I got it for not much more that a Squire cost at the time, a real bargain.
05-16-2022, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #25124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
A new MIM Player Stratocaster. Got at slight discount because it has a 21 instead of 22 fret neck. My first real Fender.
Dave Gilmour's Black Strat had 21 frets. It didn't hold him back

05-16-2022, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #25125

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Auction bug bit me last night and I picked up a new to me old toy a MZ-7 with a FA 28-80, a remote and a CP.. It’s been well looked after and sold as working although I don’t plan on testing the body. The body isn’t what I was after, it was the lens and the chance to play around with the CP. The remote is still in the cellophane wrapper inside the box. I left it there since I have no need for it either. If I can find it a new home then the new owner can have the joy of removing the wrapper: