Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #25306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Interestingly, from what I've seen in picture samples, the SMC-F 28mm f/2.8, despite having supposedly the same optical formula, is better wide open, being quite sharp in the center. To me it fixes that aspect (and I have had both the M and A 28/2.8 so I know how annoyingly soft and low contrast they are wide open - which makes them hard to focus).
I haven’t noticed that on either the A or M versions that I own.

Then again I mostly use then on B&W film these days.

06-16-2022, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #25307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interestingly, from what I've seen in picture samples, the SMC-F 28mm f/2.8, despite having supposedly the same optical formula, is better wide open, being quite sharp in the center. To me it fixes that aspect (and I have had both the M and A 28/2.8 so I know how annoyingly soft and low contrast they are wide open - which makes them hard to focus).

If I didn't love my Sigma 30 1.4 Art so much I'd have bought an F 28 2.8 by now (I have an M 28 3.5 for when I want that manual lens experience, great lens, sharp from wide open and such wild colors).
For quite a few years, my kit was M 28/3.5, K 55/1.8 and M 135/3.5. I do not ever being disappointed by the lenses: it was the photographer that screwed up.
06-17-2022, 03:40 AM   #25308
Pentaxian

If I didn't love my Sigma 30 1.4 Art so much I'd have bought an F 28 2.8 by now (I have an M 28 3.5 for when I want that manual lens experience, great lens, sharp from wide open and such wild colors).
The A 28/2.8 is supposedly the same optical formula as the M mark II and I didn't like the mark II any more than I did the mark I. TBH I've yet to find a modestly fast 28mm that really meets what I want.

M 28/2.8 mark I: dull images, soft wide open
M 28/2.8 mark II: same as mark I
M 28/3.5: very sharp wide open but dull images
A 28/2.8: soft wide open but great, modern rendering

The K 28/2 is obviously the best but it's big and heavy. Both Vivitar 28/2s are very good and I like them more than any of the above Pentax lenses, though they are a little heavy and colour rendering isn't so good.
06-17-2022, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #25309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The A 28/2.8 is supposedly the same optical formula as the M mark II and I didn't like the mark II any more than I did the mark I. TBH I've yet to find a modestly fast 28mm that really meets what I want.

The K 28/2 is obviously the best but it's big and heavy. Both Vivitar 28/2s are very good and I like them more than any of the above Pentax lenses, though they are a little heavy and colour rendering isn't so good.
There are, of course, 2 definite answers to this question... 30mm (Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art) and 31mm (FA 31mm Limited) My Sigma 30 Art has been keeping me from getting any more 28mm lenses. But I'm on APS-C. For FF users, the FA 31 should be the definite lens in that range.

Oh and I don't get dull images from my M 28 3.5 but of course personal taste varies... of course the bokeh isn't good, but that's not what this lens is for.

06-17-2022, 05:35 AM   #25310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not tried the M f2.8 models on digital. But I have the M f3.5, A f2, the A f2.8, the F f2.8 and the K f3.5. Both FF and APSc. I have reached the following conclusions based on my copies of the lenses:-
The K f3.5 is the most consistently best performer across both formats.
The A f2.8 and A f2 are pretty much of a muchness in terms of IQ, but I really struggle with getting sharp images on APSc with the f2.8. I think I have focusing issues due to the smaller viewfinder and short focus throw. I have no problems with it on FF.
The F is almost as good optically as the K f3,5 and in real world use indistinguishable. It is my go to on APSc due to the fast and accurate AF and compact size. Unfortunately my copy does not want to focus properly on my K1 ii.
The M f3.5 I actually quite like. it's not quite as sharp as the A, F or K models, but it's pretty close. The contrast in B&W is nice and I see no problems with the colour rendition. If I did not already have the F. I would use it quite a lot on my KP as it is nice and compact and easier to get decent results with than with the Af2.8 I find.

I have abandoned Sigma 28mm and 30mm's. They are just too big and heavy for me, though I did like the IQ on my copies.
06-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #25311
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

How about the Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide?

I like mine, it sees more time on my cameras than any other lenses I have.
06-18-2022, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #25312
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 645 45mm f2.8

06-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #25313
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Skylight Filter & Case for my Mirror Lens

I found a used 30.5mm skylight filter on Ebay. All my previous Skylight filters are Hoya 1B, but I did not notice when I ordered that this was a 1A. I had never heard of 1A before : it is supposed to be weaker than a 1B but still giving a warm cast. But this looks distinctly blue! I don't think is is caused by exposure to sunlight etc as the tint is completely even.

It is for the back end of a Centon 500mm mirror lens because I have been advised that its optics are designed for a filter present. I bought the Centon a long time ago, used and very cheap, lacking case and filters (it is supposed to come with three of them). I have never used it much but decided to give it a new lease of life. So I cleaned out the dust and fungus, and even found the proper case for it on Ebay (in second picture). The case is in excellent condition, unlike my old Pentax lens cases which have aged badly, not from mis-use.

06-19-2022, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #25314
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
FA 645 45mm f2.8
I'll be quite interested how you feel about this lens. It's the only one in the lineup I was disappointed with---mainly because it is potentially such a useful FL, and this lens underperforms the 45-85. This was widely reported, but I got it anyway after reading some contrary views. But my use of it confirmed the issues.

Definitely a candidate for a refresh on Pentax's part!
06-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #25315
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I'll be quite interested how you feel about this lens. It's the only one in the lineup I was disappointed with---mainly because it is potentially such a useful FL, and this lens underperforms the 45-85. This was widely reported, but I got it anyway after reading some contrary views. But my use of it confirmed the issues.

Definitely a candidate for a refresh on Pentax's part!

i read some conflicting reviews also about this lens - some reporting it is the hidden gem in the lineup, others saying things similar to your experience...

I wonder if it could be simply sample variance between lenses reviewed...

we'll see....
06-20-2022, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #25316
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
How about the Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide?

I like mine, it sees more time on my cameras than any other lenses I have.
I also like mine but I haven't used it a great deal due to it's fame for flare. That's kept it's use to things where there won't be any lights in the image, but it's certainly sharper than some of the Pentax 28s.
06-20-2022, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #25317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A 70mm f2.8 for Pentax 110 - has a slight colour cast on an inner element which may be deterioration to the coating or cement but it doesn't seem to be affecting results noticably. Cost me £27.50 including P&P, and having tried it on micro 4/3 my feeling is that it's OK but not something I really need to keep - it's nice to have tested the four main Pentax 110 lenses, I'm that sort of completist, but I've got adapters for lots of other lenses, and if I need something longer than my zoom I can just grab whatever's handy and use that. The fixed aperture and relatively long minimal distance, 1.5M, isn't incredibly useful.

More pictures taken with this lens in this album:

Pentax 110 Lenses on Micro 4/3 | Flickr

Anything with a name beginning Pen110-70 was taken with this lens, or is a picture of it. Bottom of the first page and second page.

later - sorry, the four main PRIME lenses. Not really very interested in the zooms.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 06-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.
06-21-2022, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #25318
Pentaxian

Got a Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 macro (272E) from MPB
06-21-2022, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #25319
Veteran Member

Picked up a trumpet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-G820  Photo 
06-21-2022, 07:11 PM - 5 Likes   #25320