Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2022, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #25321
Pentaxian

Two nifty things arrived today.

1)A 50/1.7 to use with my helicoid extension tube.

2) A co worker gave me an old Radex Stereo Binocular and a bunch of slide mounts. The tripod head is missing, but I’m pretty sure I can fab up my own “shift head” and try my hand at taking stereo slides.

06-22-2022, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #25322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After playing it at a boardgame day at a friend's, I immediately bought it myself, including its two expansions: "Wingspan" (in German: Flügelschlag), "Wingspan is a competitive, medium-weight, card-driven, engine-building board game from Stonemaier Games." to quote from Wingspan | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It's a match made in heaven for the birder that also likes playing boardgames. You're a bird aficionado that tries to settle birds in your habitats and collect points by making them lay eggs, hunt other birds, collect food etc. Part of the beauty is that there are a few ways to score points and it's quite unclear until counting the points at the very end who has really won.

And of course another point that made me instantly buy it: the bird cards, which there are hundreds of. The main game features birds that are mainly at home in the Americas, with one expansion featuring the birds from Europe and another the birds from Oceania. Each card features a few numbers and characteristics that are important for playing the game, but also a couple that aren't essential for playing. The huge number of birds and their abilites and the randomness elements make each play unique, you have to make up your strategy as you go.
There's also a free smartphone app called "Flügelklang", unrelated to the creators of the game itself, which lets one hear the sounds of a bird species when scanning their card, which I recommend for enhancing the experience of the game.

A few snaps from one of my first rounds:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
06-22-2022, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #25323
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Picked up a Pentax strap with clips
for my K-s2. Once upon a time I had matching clips attached to my backpack frame, it worked nicely.. sure hope I can find them!

06-22-2022, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #25324

This 2022 summer new (to me) toys

Yesterday, I had a chance to add to my collection a fairly good (used) kit from a nice gentleman.
It included :
  • small messenger bag
  • Pentax K-500 with 20,500 shutter count (missing hot shoe cover and eyecup)
  • Pentax DA 18-135mm
  • Pentax DA 35mm
  • Pentax DA L 18-55mm
  • Pentax FA 28-80mm

They all needed a rocket blower treatment (and eventually sensor cleaning), but the first few test shots look promising.
All in working condition.

I purchased it mainly to get the 18-135.
Lucky me

06-23-2022, 11:34 AM - 5 Likes   #25325
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been a few months since my last lens purchase, and that was primarily for film digitising rather than general shooting (a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro). I didn't think I'd be buying any more for a loooooong time... mainly because I'm happy with the glass I own and use, but also because of the economic storm clouds looming. However, thanks to the eagle eyes of forum member @Kevin B123; - plus the sale of my DA*60-250 and HD DA1.4x rear converter - I was able to pick up a brand new HD FA31 f/1.8 Limited for just a small cash adjustment. I collected it from Wex Photo in Newcastle-upon-Tyne this morning

I haven't really had a chance to shoot with it properly yet, but I've set up AF fine adjustment for it on my K-3 (around -3 to -4 seems to work best) and carried out some brief tests for de-centering (it looks good). First impressions are positive... It looks and feels just like my HD DA Limited lenses, but with an aperture ring (which, as I'll be shooting it exclusively on my Pentax gear, will stay put in the "A" position). I thought it would be bigger than it is... I'm sure I'd read somewhere that it was quite a big lens, but it doesn't seem that way to me. Looks and feels good attached the K-3. Build quality is nice. Having read plenty of reviews and looked at many photos from the SMC version over the years, I pretty much knew what to expect optically, so there are no real surprises there - except to say, I don't think it will be replacing my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art, but sitting along-side it. Even just a few hours playing with the FA31 is enough to demonstrate how different these two lenses are... The Sigma is quite big and bulky, AF is silent but leisurely, resolution is incredibly good in the frame centre even wide open, but the borders and corners never catch up at any aperture. It has a real "signature" look, IMHO. The Pentax lens is smaller and more traditional in look and feel, screw-drive AF is very quick by comparison but has that screw-drive noise (which I don't mind), resolution wide open seems "OK" but it definitely behaves like an older film lens here, with f/2.8 onwards being best if centre resolution is critical. I like the out-of-focus rendering so far, but haven't played with it enough to draw any firm conclusions.

For the price I paid (especially after selling my other gear), I'm really happy to have picked this up. Time will tell whether it becomes a favourite, but either way it sits nicely with my HD DA Limiteds in providing a range of different focal lengths - and doesn't seem out of place with those crop lenses either
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
--  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2022 at 12:33 PM.
06-23-2022, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #25326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll be shooting it exclusively on my Pentax gear
Very nice, it looks right at home on your K-3 and I'm pleased for you. Would you not try and adapt it to your Sony body?

Anyway, I have made an acquisition too but more on that another day.
06-23-2022, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #25327
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Very nice, it looks right at home on your K-3 and I'm pleased for you. Would you not try and adapt it to your Sony body?
Thanks, Kevin

There's no reason why I couldn't use it on my Sony, as I already have a decent quality K-mount adapter with aperture open/close ring. I guess I will try it at some point. The thing is, though, I'm not (yet) much of a wide-angle photographer. My most-used focal length on APS-C is 28mm, equivalent to 42mm on "full frame". Having said that, looking through my Sony photos, I've taken a fair number at 35mm... and 31mm isn't miles away from that.. And, going back to Pentax, I really do love my HD DA21, despite it being wider than my usual comfort zone. So, yes, maybe I will give the FA31 a try on my Sony

Anyway, I have made an acquisition too but more on that another day.
Don't keep us waiting too long, eh?!

06-23-2022, 12:53 PM - 3 Likes   #25328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, my £4 cord strap arrived from China and tomorrow I should get my Pixl-Latr (mount for scanning film with a DSLR) and a roll of Rollei rpx400
OK, not quite a 31mm limited lol but I am quite excited .... Although not by the strap! Don't get me wrong, its fine, it just has all the finesse of a £4 camera strap from China
06-23-2022, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #25329
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Well, my £4 cord strap arrived from China and tomorrow I should get my Pixl-Latr (mount for scanning film with a DSLR) and a roll of Rollei rpx400
OK, not quite a 31mm limited lol but I am quite excited .... Although not by the strap! Don't get me wrong, its fine, it just has all the finesse of a £4 camera strap from China
It's not about the cost of the item - it's about the utility and enjoyment. I bet you'll get just as much utility from both of those as I will from the HD FA31 - and possibly as much enjoyment.

I have the Pixl-atr, and it's a cool film carrier. Its big advantage over other types - aside from the cost - is flexibility and versatility with different formats. The disadvantage is, it's not the easiest and quickest to use when advancing roll film to subsequent frames. But, if you're happy to work slowly, it's a very good option. The thing I've found annoying is that the configurable inserts can tend to come loose or fall out during handling, so with mine I use bits of electrical insulating tape to hold the pieces in place. Works a treat

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2022 at 01:27 PM.
06-23-2022, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #25330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Don't keep us waiting too long, eh?!
Only a slight twist of the arm is needed, I'm soft like that.

I have bought a black D FA* 50mm f1.4 off LennyBloke on another forum, and I am away this weekend so I won't get to play properly until next week end, I can't wait!
06-23-2022, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #25331
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Only a slight twist of the arm is needed, I'm soft like that.
LOL. You folded like a cheap suit Glad you did, though

I have bought a black D FA* 50mm f1.4 off LennyBloke on another forum, and I am away this weekend so I won't get to play properly until next week end, I can't wait!
Oooooh. Premium stuff... very nice indeed! Congratulations - good score
06-23-2022, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #25332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m definitely a believer that ”the best tripod is the one you have with you”. In that vein, I just picked up the Peak Design travel tripod (aluminium). Pricey, but it’ll fit in my pack, or in the scabbard I have on my bike (which was originally for a monopod).

Next order of business is to add a pan/tilt head to it I think
06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #25333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Next order of business is to add a pan/tilt head to it I think

Be sure to consider this model:

Slik SH-737HD 3-Way Fluid-Effect Pan Head

Only $90 from B&H. The single downside is the Slik-only quick release plate, but you can easily add an Arca compatible clamp to the plate. That's what I did. The light fluid damping action is very satisfactory.
06-24-2022, 02:46 PM - 3 Likes   #25334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit of a punt on a Fuji X-T10 converted to IR 720nm wave length. I had considered getting one of my X-T1's converted, but it would have cost c.£240. The X-T10 is just £229.
06-24-2022, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #25335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
After playing it at a boardgame day at a friend's, I immediately bought it myself, including its two expansions: "Wingspan" (in German: Flügelschlag), "Wingspan is a competitive, medium-weight, card-driven, engine-building board game from Stonemaier Games." to quote from Wingspan | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It's a match made in heaven for the birder that also likes playing boardgames. You're a bird aficionado that tries to settle birds in your habitats and collect points by making them lay eggs, hunt other birds, collect food etc. Part of the beauty is that there are a few ways to score points and it's quite unclear until counting the points at the very end who has really won.

And of course another point that made me instantly buy it: the bird cards, which there are hundreds of. The main game features birds that are mainly at home in the Americas, with one expansion featuring the birds from Europe and another the birds from Oceania. Each card features a few numbers and characteristics that are important for playing the game, but also a couple that aren't essential for playing. The huge number of birds and their abilites and the randomness elements make each play unique, you have to make up your strategy as you go.
There's also a free smartphone app called "Flügelklang", unrelated to the creators of the game itself, which lets one hear the sounds of a bird species when scanning their card, which I recommend for enhancing the experience of the game.

A few snaps from one of my first rounds:
This game is rad! Satisfyingly complex yet not confusing, with very relaxing artwork and playstyle. I really enjoyed it.