Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #25336
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Be sure to consider this model:

Slik SH-737HD 3-Way Fluid-Effect Pan Head

Only $90 from B&H. The single downside is the Slik-only quick release plate, but you can easily add an Arca compatible clamp to the plate. That's what I did. The light fluid damping action is very satisfactory.
I’m arca-swiss for everything, so I’ll likely put a Benro head on it. I upgraded my neewer tripod with one, the benro head is a great upgrade!

06-24-2022, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #25337

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new windshield for my Toyota Venza. It is the second time I have had to replace it. Some people are lucky and only get chips when their windshield is damaged. I completely skip chips and go straight to cracks and big ones at that. Oh well it is fixed now and that’s the important thing.
06-25-2022, 05:39 AM   #25338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
A new windshield for my Toyota Venza. It is the second time I have had to replace it. Some people are lucky and only get chips when their windshield is damaged. I completely skip chips and go straight to cracks and big ones at that. Oh well it is fixed now and that’s the important thing.

I got more than a chip once. When I came out of work to go home, half of the windshield of my Fiesta wash shattered into little fragments. I thought some student angry at me had struck it with a hammer. No such thing. The grounds keeper's riding lawnmower had thrown a stone. Pretty scary if the lawn is being mowed when students are moving between classes.
06-25-2022, 03:40 PM - 5 Likes   #25339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last Pentax Limited in a retail store in Denver

The other day I stopped by Denver Pro Photo in Englewood. Once it was a full-service retailer, but now it rents and sells lighting gear. Only a couple of lonely lenses sit on a back shelf, left over from the DSLR glory days of yore. I've had my eye on one of them for years- a black DA 20-40 Limited, new in the box. Desiring but not needing this lens, I've made various offers to them over the years. How long? "Since I had hair," said the balding manager at the counter. We had never quite reached a suitable price. This time, I had my pitch prepared. "This lens reminds me of a stray puppy," I said, "It makes me sad to see it here alone and I want to give it a good home." He countered with a B&H used price, but I held firm at $300 even. "Oh, all right," he muttered, with a wink, and now it's mine.

Denver Pro Photo happens to be about one mile from the site of Pentax's US headquarters and repair center. That was located on the former Samsonite campus, which is now an apartment/condo development. My, how things have changed!

06-25-2022, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #25340
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

an FA 645 150mm f2.8...
06-25-2022, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #25341
Pentaxian

Saturday was quite a good day, with one unfortunate disappointment.

First, I got a Canon Eos 300D with 18-55, two batteries and the original charger for £35 at a car boot sale - no problems at all and very clean.

Then I looked at the lenses in a Cash Converters shop, noticed an Adaptall 70-210 f4 for a tenner, and bought it largely because it had a Nikon AI-s mount - unfortunately that turned out to be the disappointment, when I got it home and tried it on a camera images were fuzzy, and the bright light test showed some very bad mistiness in the inner elements, thought the mount is in perfect condition. Still trying to decide if I take the loss on the lens and keep the mount, or return it. The mount will probably boost the price of a good lens considerably so it isn't an automatic decision. Unfortunately it's one of the plastic Tamrons that's almost impossible to clean, and I think I should stop buying them because I've had several that were faulty one way or another.

Finally, by a weird coincidence I picked up another Adaptall for £12 in a charity shop - an immaculate 28/2.5 with the original case and caps, also with the Nikon AI-s mount.

More car boot sales tomorrow, hopefully without sudden yet inevitable betrayal...
06-26-2022, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #25342
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

today, we'll be using the AMU* for sizing up lenses...

this is the FA 645 45mm f2.8:

* now that I've had a chance to use and consume the AMU (also known as a TimTam), look for a riveting expose on how they compare to the world/industry standard SMU....

06-26-2022, 02:01 PM - 5 Likes   #25343
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

also on the stage is the SMC A 645 120mm f4 Macro:

06-26-2022, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #25344
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
today, we'll be using the AMU* for sizing up lenses...

this is the FA 645 45mm f2.8:

* now that I've had a chance to use and consume the AMU (also known as a TimTam), look for a riveting expose on how they compare to the world/industry standard SMU....
Big Units for big lenses. Enjoy 'em.
06-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #25345

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I got more than a chip once. When I came out of work to go home, half of the windshield of my Fiesta wash shattered into little fragments. I thought some student angry at me had struck it with a hammer. No such thing. The grounds keeper's riding lawnmower had thrown a stone. Pretty scary if the lawn is being mowed when students are moving between classes.
Yikes! I won’t complain about a crack then . At least the car was parked and it didn’t happen while you were driving.
06-27-2022, 08:03 AM - 4 Likes   #25346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the funeral procession for my uncle driving my brand new 1979 VW Rabbit.
My mother's uncle in the car in front of mine kicked up a rock that chipped my windshield.

Later driving my brand new 1987 Isuzu Trooper II, ten miles into our 1000 mile trip to Nova Scotia
my windshield got chipped. Of course my eyes homed in on that small spot for the entire journey.

Times like these make it worthwhile to pay extra for full no-deductible glass coverage.

Chris
06-27-2022, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #25347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I was in the funeral procession for my uncle driving my brand new 1979 VW Rabbit.
My mother's uncle in the car in front of mine kicked up a rock that chipped my windshield.

Later driving my brand new 1987 Isuzu Trooper II, ten miles into our 1000 mile trip to Nova Scotia
my windshield got chipped. Of course my eyes homed in on that small spot for the entire journey.

Times like these make it worthwhile to pay extra for full no-deductible glass coverage.

Chris

A tiny chip in a windshield is like a tiny bur on the back of your incisor at night - it cannot be ignored.
06-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #25348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I treated myself to this Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX after I saw a link to it on here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Pentax A*1200mm F8 ED[IF]
Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX
Pentax FA*600mm F4 ED (lF)
The only known copy of the Sigma 800mm f5.6 - very awesome dude!

Last edited by angerdan; 06-28-2022 at 05:26 AM.
06-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #25349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NOS 46mm Vivitar X0 (yellow green) filter
NOS 49mm Vivitar PL (linear polarizer)

From Tim Rice at filterfind.net
The 46mm X0 is for my Konica C35.
The 49mm PL is for my daughter's Pentax MX.

Chris
06-27-2022, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #25350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ttartisan 50mm 1.4 asph for Leica M and a set of Vessel jis screwdrivers.