Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #25501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A truck just dropped off a few pallets, with these just visible:

They are solar shingles. They don't look as awesome as a Tesla Solar Roof but they are here and the Solar Roof is not. Roofers will tear off the old shingles, install ordinary shingles around the edges and I think 225 of these in the middle, for 9.9kW of power, maybe starting in September.
I hope you have either (or both):

1) a high pitch roof

and/or

2) a snow rake with a handle long enough to reach the ridge line.

08-10-2022, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #25502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I hope you have either (or both):

1) a high pitch roof

and/or

2) a snow rake with a handle long enough to reach the ridge line.
I am hoping the snow will not be a problem. We get two types of snow here. Early or late season snow is more like New England, heavy and wetter. That will probably block the shingles for a day or two each storm, but I expect only a couple of these a year. The rest of the storms are cold, windy and dry. I can sometimes clear my driveway with a leaf blower. My house is exposed to enough wind so I don't get a lot of accumulation from these storms. What is left will burn off in a few hours - lots of high altitude sun and UV. The Tesla tiles are supposed to be extra slippery so snow slides off; these are smoother than normal asphalt but I don't expect that to work for me.

A lot of the solar experience is guesswork. They just started selling this product in January, and weren't selling in Colorado until March, so nobody here knows what will happen in the snow. I think a bigger problem is dust. We don't get enough rain for dust to be washed off. If Amazon comes out with a Roof Roomba, I might get in line for that.
08-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #25503
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I am hoping the snow will not be a problem. We get two types of snow here. Early or late season snow is more like New England, heavy and wetter. That will probably block the shingles for a day or two each storm, but I expect only a couple of these a year. The rest of the storms are cold, windy and dry. I can sometimes clear my driveway with a leaf blower. My house is exposed to enough wind so I don't get a lot of accumulation from these storms. What is left will burn off in a few hours - lots of high altitude sun and UV. The Tesla tiles are supposed to be extra slippery so snow slides off; these are smoother than normal asphalt but I don't expect that to work for me.

A lot of the solar experience is guesswork. They just started selling this product in January, and weren't selling in Colorado until March, so nobody here knows what will happen in the snow. I think a bigger problem is dust. We don't get enough rain for dust to be washed off. If amazon.comes out with a Roof Roomba, I might get in line for that.?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Snow is nothing more than frozen water. It takes quite a bit to block light completely.

So I believe that even with a pretty thick blanket of snow there will be enough light getting through that the photocells will still generate electricity.
08-10-2022, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #25504
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of the solar experience is guesswork. They just started selling this product in January, and weren't selling in Colorado until March, so nobody here knows what will happen in the snow. I think a bigger problem is dust. We don't get enough rain for dust to be washed off. If amazon.comes out with a Roof Roomba, I might get in line for that.?tag=pentaxforums-20&
M has been interested in solar panels for several years, but I have multiple objections, doubts, and questions; 1) they say the snow will slide or melt off, but our neighbor, who had solar panels installed, is out with a snow rake regularly (BTW: both houses are ranch-style with a low-pitch roof, but his house is much more in the open, with essentially no shade from trees); 2) our house has a raised-ridge steel roof, and I do not like the idea of making multiple holes in it to install the panels, nor do I fully trust any glue-on method; 3) our house is up against a well-forested hill on the west side, behind which the sun hides in the afternoon. I'm not at all convinced that the roof receives enough sunshine, especially in the winter, to generate the level of power the panels are supposed to deliver. 4) Then there is the upfront cost, which installers never seem to provide as even a rough estimate until you agree to a home evaluation. My guess, based on costs stated by third party sources, would be something in excess of $20,000. I do not think there is a snowflake's chance in a blast furnace that we could recover that cost in reduced electrical bills in our lifetime.5) I have no idea how much we could save yearly on our electric bill once a surcharge for not using enough electricity is added to our bill by the electric company. Actually, that added cost may not be a worry because I doubt the panels will generate enough electricity to trigger such a surcharge.

I find the sellers/installers far too optimistic promoting solar panels. They remind me of used car dealers - ONE OWNER, LOW MILEAGE, FINANCING AVAILABLE. Which of them is honest? Which of them has the best product? What kind of guarantee is given, what is covered by the guarantee and for how long? If a tree limb falls and breaks or just damages one of the panels (a realistic possibility at our house), who pays for repair or replacement? Will the seller do it? Only through our homeowners policy, but does that cover it or do we need a rider of some kind? And what will the "adjusters" do to the payment based on the age of the panels? And if we make such a claim and collect, what will happen to our home insurance costs afterward? Will the panels last and function properly long enough to recover the purchase & installation costs? How much will maintenance cost between purchase and the year we recover our investment and actually start saving on electrical bills? How long after that will the panels keep functioning?

08-10-2022, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #25505
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

They remind me of used car dealers - ONE OWNER, LOW MILEAGE, FINANCING AVAILABLE. Which of them is honest?
Well, there are no such thing as an honest used car dealer.
08-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #25506
Pentaxian

I just got a Joby Gorillapod 5K and ball head to replace my worn out and too small gorillapod 3K.
08-10-2022, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #25507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess on payoff is ten years on purely electricity, but it is more complicated. I had asphalt shingles. Last year a hailstorm damaged them just enough to be replaced, which is covered by my insurance. So my cost is only the extra solar shingle expense and some electrical stuff. That makes the numbers work without a loan. I hope I'm avoiding some problems by mostly dealing with a reputable local roofer, because if there's a leak it won't be two companies blaming each other. The roof deck holes are for ordinary nails, not giant screws. I avoided some of the "solar installer" problems this way.

I did ask my insurer about rates and claims. He said they are not allowed to raise rates on individual policy holders for events like storms and claims related to that, only for stuff that is your fault. So if the storm knocks down the tree, no problem. If you make a mistake with a chainsaw, maybe a problem. They will cover these shingles too.

08-12-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #25508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Xiser stepper. About a moth ago the stepper on my old Weider Powermax V home gym failed. Parts are no longer available. Up to this point I had been repairing it and making parts but the struts are no longer around.

Looking around I found a company called Xiser. I got the commercial/pro model direct from the company for about $150 cheaper than on Amazon. When it arrived a week later I started using it and I must say that after three weeks or so the ads for it seem to be true. I have derived a lot more benefit form it than the stepper that was part of the home gym. The workout is much more intense. After a few days using it I told my wife that I felt different. Not better or worse, just different.. A few days ago :I mowed the lawn and for the first time in 4 years I did hot have to stop for a break because of pain radiating down my legs from the hips. I can also get further into a walk without the same pains showing up.

Very happy with it. I now use it in 5 minute spurts at the beginning, midway point and end of my exercise program. I am not longer going to bother looking for parts to repair the old home gym. It may have not be what I initially wanted, but it was definitely what I needed.
08-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #25509
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
A few days ago :I mowed the lawn and for the first time in 4 years I did hot have to stop for a break because of pain radiating down my legs from the hips. I can also get further into a walk without the same pains showing up.

Now the question is, did the Xiser improve your physical condition after just a short period of using it, or did it leave you with more energy reserves because it did not work you out as hard?

Exercise machines are somewhat like face masks worn during the pandemic = the more comfortable they are, the less good they're doing.

Before the pandemic I was doing two miles on a Precor X-trainer in under 26 minutes with no rests to catch my breath. After 9 months of not being able to go to the gym and no sign of getting back to it I purchased a SOLE X-trainer on which, after almost two years of using it, I feel quite exhausted after doing just one mile in under 16 minutes always with a brief rest to catch my breath after 3/4 of a mile. I blame the pandemic and a nine-month interruption in my exercise routine (at my age, what you lose is pretty much impossible to recover). On the other hand, is the SOLE machine working me harder? I find that difficult to believe, although an attractive excuse.
08-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #25510
Pentaxian

A truck just dropped off a few pallets, with these just visible:

They are solar shingles. They don't look as awesome as a Tesla Solar Roof but they are here and the Solar Roof is not. Roofers will tear off the old shingles, install ordinary shingles around the edges and I think 225 of these in the middle, for 9.9kW of power, maybe starting in September.
What are the insulation properties of solar shingles compared to a regular tile roof? I've always assumed it'd be pretty poor and any benefits from having panels as shingles would be kind of lost.

I'm not one for looks I'd probably just use regular panels.

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Snow is nothing more than frozen water. It takes quite a bit to block light completely.

So I believe that even with a pretty thick blanket of snow there will be enough light getting through that the photocells will still generate electricity.
They will generate something. But not enough to power anything substantial. That and the relative angle of the sun to your latitude is why having solar panels far north is just kind of a waste of money.
08-12-2022, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #25511
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What are the insulation properties of solar shingles compared to a regular tile roof? I've always assumed it'd be pretty poor and any benefits from having panels as shingles would be kind of lost.

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 02:41 PM ----------

They will generate something. But not enough to power anything substantial. That and the relative angle of the sun to your latitude is why having solar panels far north is just kind of a waste of money.
High nord solar panels are often mounted almost verticaly, even wall mounted, tilted only 10°-15° up to face better the low sun in winter & also to keep them free of snow. Yield is low (compared to the equator there is less sun) but always better than nothing, especially in desolate area’s where electricity is more expensive.

And they are low maintenance, compared to a windgenerator in stormy, icy circumstances....or a diesel gen set.

If his roof is steep enough , rather 60° vertical than 20° flat , it might still be acceptable... I guess the choice for tiles is also a matter of aesthetics and space for installation.
08-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #25512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now the question is, did the Xiser improve your physical condition after just a short period of using it, or did it leave you with more energy reserves because it did not work you out as hard?

Exercise machines are somewhat like face masks worn during the pandemic = the more comfortable they are, the less good they're doing.

Before the pandemic I was doing two miles on a Precor X-trainer in under 26 minutes with no rests to catch my breath. After 9 months of not being able to go to the gym and no sign of getting back to it I purchased a SOLE X-trainer on which, after almost two years of using it, I feel quite exhausted after doing just one mile in under 16 minutes always with a brief rest to catch my breath after 3/4 of a mile. I blame the pandemic and a nine-month interruption in my exercise routine (at my age, what you lose is pretty much impossible to recover). On the other hand, is the SOLE machine working me harder? I find that difficult to believe, although an attractive excuse.
I am not sure what changed but I know the change was positive. I had a stepper as part of my home gym, but the mechanics of using it were slightly different. After a week of using the Xiser every day my hips and legs felt different. Not better but just different. When I mowed the lawn all I felt was the normal lower back pain that I have had for over 50 years. No sure what changed internally in me but so far I am happy with the results. Now If I can stretch out my walks to a few miles I will be very happy.

Right now I do three 5 minute sessions as part of my daily workout routine. The stepper sessions are broken up by upper and lower body reps on the home gym. Since nothing has changed there I have to attribute the change to the stepper. Before I got this stepper I was using the stepper on my home gym so I was not starting from ground zero with the new stepper. I just think that I get a more balanced workout with the new one. It does tire me out quicker and I "feel the burn" is slightly different parts of my muscles with the new one.
08-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #25513
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It does tire me out quicker and I "feel the burn" in slightly different parts of my muscles with the new one.

That is something I noticed when I was still going to a gym to work out (last visit there was January 2020). There are cross-trainers from several manufacturers at the gym, and switching to a different brand felt, in some cases, profoundly different. The elliptical motion was different, working my leg muscles in a different way. Even switching between identical units of the Precor x-trainer I could detect a difference in the amount of effort required with identical settings for leg-lift and resistance. After seven months without using a x-trainer, getting onto the SOLE unit I bought was like starting to exercise from scratch. The foot rests felt the strangest. The angles it required of my feet were significantly different and it took several weeks for my feet to adjust.

Rule of thumb: If it's good for, it won't be easy. If it's bad for you, piece of cake (which also isn't good for you)
08-14-2022, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #25514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest additions are a Sigma DG 150-500mm APO HSM OS, a Tamron SP AF Aspherical Di 17-35mm LD IF, &
a Cosina 100mm AF macro with close up filter.
08-15-2022, 04:59 PM - 5 Likes   #25515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

Our roof shouldn't be doing any insulating. It should be close to ambient temperature, which it is at night. In the sun it heats up considerably. These can't be any worse than the previous asphalt shingles in that regard. I asked for a not-so-black color on the regular shingles to maybe cool down the roof.

Opinions are all over the place on looks so far, including "what the hell is wrong with your roof?"