Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2023, 10:13 AM - 4 Likes   #25981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The news stories this morning about the last 747 made me think about tools like that. There must be acres/hectares of tools, toolboxes, benches etc. that are just a little old or specialized, now idle. And slowly, less people who know what those tools did.

02-01-2023, 11:57 AM - 6 Likes   #25982
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The news stories this morning about the last 747 made me think about tools like that. There must be acres/hectares of tools, toolboxes, benches etc. that are just a little old or specialized, now idle. And slowly, less people who know what those tools did.
I worked there for eight and a half years, even had a hand in building the last 747 (on a one week loan to do some rework).

Rarely did I have new tools. They keep rebuilding the tools, hand and machine tools. One common drill is a self feeding pneumatic power drill, that also feeds coolant/lubricant through passages in the cutter. The original ones were made by Quackenbush (we called them quacks), a Texas aerospace manufacturing tool supplier. Newer ones are made by SetiTech, a French aerospace manufacturing tool supplier.

Most of the quacks are as old as the factory, having been used on the first 747s in the late 1960s. They have been rebuilt many times over, but Quackenbus has gone out of business, and parts supplies are running low.

The Atlas Copco (and several other brands) drills and other pneumatic tools I used were always rebuilt used units. Once I had a drill lock up on me, and the tool man did give me a brand new one, but out of the hundreds of tools I handled in the years I was there, it was the only new one.

As for tools, you could fill several 747 freighters with tools in the Everett plant alone, and still have enough tools in the factory to build airplanes. Tools rarely sit idle there.

Also, every mechanic that is hired is only chosen based on previous experience, and then after hiring, spends three months at the SPC (skills process center) in school eight hours a day, learning the Boeing standards and processes, and how to use the drawings and specifications to get the work done. In the last year I was there, every time I passed by SPC there was always about 100 new hires going through the training.

That is followed by at least six more months of on the job training, and certification in myriad processes required for performing certain tasks.

And the certifications have to be renewed periodically.

I had about a dozen certifications, and every year on my birthday I would spend a week in the recent lab renewing them.

I see Boeing announced the other day that the space in the Everett factory previously used for 747 manufacturing is going to be tooled up for a fourth 737 line to augment the three lines at the Renton plant.

They have a backlog of over 4,000 orders for the 737 Max, and even producing two and a half planes a day at Renton it will take years to catch up.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-01-2023 at 02:26 PM.
02-01-2023, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #25983
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They have a backlog of over 4,000 orders for the 737 Max, and even producing two and a half planes a day at Renton it will take years to catch up.
Sounds like the MCAS problem did not dent orders too much.
02-01-2023, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #25984
Pentaxian

chinon ce-3 memotron......purdy groovy AE M42 body.....not exactly open aperture reading it still stops the lens down.......but it does have an AE lock button reckon thats where the memotron part comes from

Last edited by Aaron28; 02-01-2023 at 08:14 PM.
02-01-2023, 07:49 PM - 2 Likes   #25985
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sounds like the MCAS problem did not dent orders too much.
It did, a lot of orders were cancelled as a result.

The model is highly desired though, and some airlines, such as Ryan Air have an all Boeing fleet, all the 737 model’s if I recall correctly. Alaska Airlines, Southwest, Northwest, United, and American Airlines all have huge fleets of them. Airlines use them for local, regional and continental flights on all continents except Antarctica.

There is an Airbus model that competes with it, but the Boeing plane leads sales.

Boeing builds a custom airplane, made to order for each customer, and the customer has representatives at every step of the manufacturing process, not jut for the 737, but for every plane they manufacture.

Airbus doesn’t do that. Customer representatives aren’t present in an Airbus factory.

Contrary to the news reports, Boeing builds a quality airplane, at a competitive price, with after delivery support rivaled by no other manufacturer.
02-01-2023, 10:13 PM   #25986
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nobody pays list price for a plane.

Discounts abound for those who are thick skinned enough to ask.
02-02-2023, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #25987
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Nobody pays list price for a plane.

Discounts abound for those who are thick skinned enough to ask.
Well Emirates paid around $330,000,000 for a 777-300ER. The newer version, the 777-9 (the one with the composite wings with folding wingtips) goes for a bit more. Even with discounts for whatever reasons, they still pay over $300,000,000.

02-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #25988
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well Emirates paid around $330,000,000 for a 777-300ER. The newer version, the 777-9 (the one with the composite wings with folding wingtips) goes for a bit more. Even with discounts for whatever reasons, they still pay over $300,000,000.
I heard the line I quoted about no-one paying list price for a plane from an employee of Boeing. He worked in an office. Probably at a polo shirt rank and kind of work. So he did not push the 0's around the bank account.
02-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #25989
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
chinon ce-3 memotron......purdy groovy AE M42 body.....not exactly open aperture reading it still stops the lens down.......but it does have an AE lock button reckon thats where the memotron part comes from
I had one of those not long ago, it's an interesting camera - I think it's the only M42 body I've seen with an electronic shutter and aperture-priority auto exposure. It does stop down as you press the shutter button, since they wanted it compatible with standard M42 mounts, but a lot of M42 bodies do that anyway.
02-02-2023, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #25990
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
it's an interesting camera
yeh it is! it's an electronic shutter...1/100 without battery.....half press stops the lens down and turns the meter on....hope to run a roll this weekend with helios 44m...

i have the ES which is Av open aperture metering with smc m42 lens....really like it 2nd most used film body after the 6x7
02-03-2023, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #25991
Pentaxian

Not so much a new acquisition as a replacement: Amazon UK's 3rd party phone repairer just sent me a Motorola G30 to replace the one I bought in Apr 21 on a 2 year warrantee after they decided they couldn't repair it . Not the best phone out there, even in 2021, but more than adequate (Snapdragon processor, 6GB RAM, 128MB storage, Android 12) for my needs - and it hopefully means I won't need to buy another phone for 2-3 yrs

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-03-2023 at 04:04 AM.
02-03-2023, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #25992
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I had one of those not long ago, it's an interesting camera - I think it's the only M42 body I've seen with an electronic shutter and aperture-priority auto exposure. It does stop down as you press the shutter button, since they wanted it compatible with standard M42 mounts, but a lot of M42 bodies do that anyway.
I have a RevueFlex branded version of an earlier Memotron camera and I like it. It's heavy but goes to 1/2000s shutter speed and the stop-down to meter just before firing the shutter is a system that works fine.
02-03-2023, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #25993
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
earlier Memotron
the CE-II.....would be sweet to have that extra stop in speed n i believe multiple exposure easily available
02-04-2023, 03:28 PM - 7 Likes   #25994
Loyal Site Supporter

Wheatfield's New Bag

For the first time in almost 35 years, I have spoiled myself with a new camera bag. My old one was a LowePro Pro 35 which has served me well since I bought it in 1984 and which I resurrected last year as I had outgrown the smaller Mini Trekker that I bought in the late 1980s.
I'm a big fan of LowePro bags as they are well built and seem pretty indestructible.
I wanted a bag that would carry all the gear I want to take to location. If I want to travel lighter from there, I take what I want from the bag, generally at that point I put gear into my dog's backpack and let her earn her kibble.
The old Pro 35 finally snapped a buckle, and I had outgrown it, mostly because the DFA* 50mm & 85mm lenses take up a sizable volume in the bag. I was also wanting to be able to pack some lenses that I hadn't been able to fit into it.
The new one is a Pro Trekker BP 450 AW II which I settled on after much searching and comparing interior dimensions and the like. There is sufficient room in the lid to hold half a dozen spare batteries and an SD card case.

The first photo shows what I am packing. Clockwise from the right is the F*300/4.5, which is one of the lenses I was able to add, then a Takumar 17mm fisheye that I affixed to an M42-K adapter and modified to lock onto a K-mount camera, and a Pentax A 2x teleconverter, both are new additions. Next are the 77 Ltd (new addition) and FA* 24mm/2.8. Below that is the A20/2.8 and FA31 Ltd.
The K1 and DFA* 50/1.4 are in the case, and to the left is the FA 100mm macro, an A15/3.5, FA70-210/4, the battery grip for the K1 (kind of hidden) and the DFA* 85/1.4.
I take the 77 as the 85 is too large for my dog's backpack and I find the AOV of a short tele to be very useful.
Also in the bag is a wired remote and a couple of filter cases. The lid has a couple of zippered pouches that are holding reducing rings and the like.

And here is what it all looks like when the bag is packed and ready to go.

It's a large backpack style bag, and with that much gear in it I won't be carrying it on any long hikes, but generally I'm able to get fairly close to where I want to be in my truck, and as I mentioned, I have a 4 legged Sherpa that loves to work for me if I want to travel light from my vehicle.
02-04-2023, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #25995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoe-mounted smartphone holder, for when I want a little more light during bug photography.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX85  Photo