Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to hear you're leaving also. I've enjoyed your comments and will miss you.

04-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Nubi

Jct us 101 works with Adam on another site, and he gets to participate in the contest??

Hm . . . . Is that how it works around here??

I see.
04-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gus my friend , honor has it's price. I'll miss you!
"Well I swear I'd rather clean the cages at the zoo than to change my songs for you" ....Peppi Marcello
04-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Jct us 101 works with Adam on another site, and he gets to participate in the contest??

Hm . . . . Is that how it works around here??

I see.
I don't see why you guys don't take kindly to the fact that 1. I started a new site 2. Cody volunteered to help and 3. Cody ended up helping.

However, I do understand how the recent contest drama could have gotten to you, which is fair enough. Luckily, the contest will be over tomorrow, and all will be forgotten because it hasn't really had any negative impact outside of its very existence.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is going to sound very arrogant I'm sure, but that's not the intention. Gus- I was about to delete your profile, but then I read your post again. What if he doesn't win (it isn't said he will- remember that all posts are still subject to comprehensive review)? Do you still request deletion?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thirdly, I don't believe it fair to be taking blame for so many things that are people claim to be going poorly, when in reality nothing negative has been done on my part. I still spend hours bettering the site every day, adding new features, and maintaining it, in pursuit of our 'ultimate community' goal. Drama that arises out of inter-member relations shouldn't be any of my business, as long as it doesn't break any rules. If you don't like someone, there's always the ignore list, and if he or she spoils your forum experience to the point where you'd like to leave or take a break, then that's perfectly OK. I'm not going to stop anyone from doing what they choose and being happy with their decisions.

Finally- a more general comment: this forum isn't run by 'the man', and it will never be. I've made it as open, welcoming, and inviting as possible, and don't plan on excluding users unless they hurt the community more than they benefit it (General Happiness Principle).

With that said, I hope everyone sticking around continues enjoying the site. I've got lots of exciting additions in store for the future

Adam

04-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Nubi

To me, it is more of a credibility issue. If there is a contest, anyone who is remotely associated with running the site(s) ought not to be able to participate. In a contest of any kind, that is how it usually works, or at least that is my understanding. Just imagine lotto official hitting a big one. It won't be funny at all.

That's all. I don't mind that he wins. In fact, I hope he wins, and he certainly cheapened it for everybody.

I think that the voices may well be louder if you were giving out 645D. After all, it is just a couple k-x's (no offense, a great camera).

Just an opinion.

I will stick around to post more smart ass comments!!

But, in the end, it is your site, Adam. You have done all the hard work and you made the site what it is, and it is by and large fantastic. So you are more than entitled to do what you want to do with your site.

04-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
To me, it is more of a credibility issue. If there is a contest, anyone who is remotely associated with running the site(s) ought not to be able to participate. In a contest of any kind, that is how it usually works, or at least that is my understanding. Just imagine lotto official hitting a big one. It won't be funny at all.
Ah, I see. That does bring up a good point, so let's go ahead and clarify it

The only two people directly associated with running PF are Ole and I (the Administrators). Peter is our Senior Moderator, so he can also be associated with the site in a stronger manner. Everyone else, however, is a moderator- a volunteer, a regular member who offered to help us in their free time for the bettering of the community. Cody is just that- a volunteer.

While I am excluding the PF moderators from this contest to keep things fair for everyone, I don't believe that should be necessary as a principle. Regardless, Cody isn't a PF moderator, and may thus participate. His posts from the other site are not being counted for this contest.

Adam

04-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While I am excluding the PF moderators from this contest to keep things fair for everyone, I don't believe that should be necessary as a principle.
I don't feel that the mods had a hope of winning the way it was set up. They were too busy keeping the peace between the other forum members, to actively participate.
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #25
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ah, I see. That does bring up a good point, so let's go ahead and clarify it

The only two people directly associated with running PF are Ole and I (the Administrators). Peter is our Senior Moderator, so he can also be associated with the site in a stronger manner. Everyone else, however, is a moderator- a volunteer, a regular member who offered to help us in their free time for the bettering of the community. Cody is just that- a volunteer.

While I am excluding the PF moderators from this contest to keep things fair for everyone, I don't believe that should be necessary as a principle. Regardless, Cody isn't a PF moderator, and may thus participate. His posts from the other site are not being counted for this contest.

Again, Adam, where you choose to draw that line is entirely up to you. But, the way I look at it is that the fact that you are having to clarify and explain suggests that there is a problem there. You should not have to explain anything.

When a large corporation is conducting a contest that involves substantial prizes, almost all of the time there is a third party who has nothing to do with the entity will run it on behalf, so that fairness is never in question. I am not saying that you need to do that, BTW.

You were concerned enough to exclude PF moderators. A sister site moderator seems to me should fall into the same category. To me volunteering vs. no volunteering makes no difference either. It is the association, no matter how remote, is where I get stuck with it. You really didn't have to say that you decided to exclude PF moderators for fairness concerns. Now I am sort of interested in what way PF moderators could have compromised this, and in what way sister site moderators will not do that for sure. But, it's ok. I don't need to know.

Imagine Nevada lotto official coming to California and hitting a big one. It will not be funny at all.

I know you work very hard on this site for improvement, and many of us appreciate that. Many of us support you and the site in more than one ways if you know what I mean. But I don't think that people showing displeasures about the contest are denying that. In fact, I think that because the site has become so legit that many of us would not like to see what they (or I) consider weird, and to a certain extent sketchy.

Think about it. Although I don't know Gus at all, I have always enjoyed his posts. To lose a member like him is very sad, especially to something so . . . . . I don't have the word for it, really. I am not sure if it was worth it.

In the end, I think that you need to ask yourself if the site was better off with or without the contest. The only opinion that count is probably yours in the end.

Last edited by Nubi; 04-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
04-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Sorry to hear this bud. We hope you reconsider.
04-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

We lose Gus and in return get Cody?

Sort of like trading a star player for a waterboy to be named later, doncha think?
04-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #28
emr

Well, I'm sorry to see Gus leave as he's definitely been one of the better contributors. I can't really blame him as the recent happenings have certainly given many members bad aftertaste.

But forums change, older members leave and new ones come. That's the nature of things. And perhaps it's not only Gus who's looking at new frontiers.
04-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #29
emr

I'd like just to add that while Cody/jct has been mentioned here in person, I see his return and participation in the contest more as the symptoms than as the cause of the current disease. So let's not nail that poor kid.
04-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Gus, why are you doing the cowardly thing to run away?
You need to stick around to keep someone on his toes.
Closed Thread