Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
When Barney asked you if you were taking pix with that camera, you should have said "Here's your sign!"
For those of you unaware, that reference is to Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show, one of the top ten programs in all of U.S. broadcasting history. And for good reason.

The show was brilliant at times, ridiculously unbelievable at others, and that's what made it so great.

And Barney couldn't handle a job as a street sweeper, let alone a deputy Sheriff.

04-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
For those of you unaware, that reference is to Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show, one of the top ten programs in all of U.S. broadcasting history. And for good reason.

The show was brilliant at times, ridiculously unbelievable at others, and that's what made it so great.

And Barney couldn't handle a job as a street sweeper, let alone a deputy Sheriff.
Of course not, it was after all Don Knotts
04-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just an FYI here regarding Mayberry, Andy and Barney. In the original show concept, it was Andy who was supposed to be the bumbler while Barney was the deputy who really knew what he was doing and kept Andy from shooting himself in the foot. This changed when they found out that as funny as Andy Griffith could be (ref: "No Time for Sergeants") he was dull compared to Don Knotts (Barney).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Yeah, Ira, you should have gotten their business cards...

Mike
04-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Were you in any way inclined to throw a double glance and flee like the wind?

04-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Just an FYI here regarding Mayberry, Andy and Barney. In the original show concept, it was Andy who was supposed to be the bumbler while Barney was the deputy who really knew what he was doing and kept Andy from shooting himself in the foot. This changed when they found out that as funny as Andy Griffith could be (ref: "No Time for Sergeants") he was dull compared to Don Knotts (Barney).

Mike
After the first season completed there was scuttle that the show would not be renewed. Don Knotts went out and got another job for himself. The show was picked up and for several more seasons. He did some movies and eventially wound up as Mr Furley on Three's Company.. Kind of a sad last full time job ending if you ask me.. Andy, meanwhile, went on to do some movies of his own. Ritz Cracker commercials and for several years was some big shot lawyer on another series. Opie (Ron Howard) on the other hand....

04-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
After the first season completed there was scuttle that the show would not be renewed. Don Knotts went out and got another job for himself. The show was picked up and for several more seasons. He did some movies and eventially wound up as Mr Furley on Three's Company.. Kind of a sad last full time job ending if you ask me.. Andy, meanwhile, went on to do some movies of his own. Ritz Cracker commercials and for several years was some big shot lawyer on another series. Opie (Ron Howard) on the other hand....

Andy also did about 3 movies as a small coastal town sheriff. In one he made a boat out of concrete. One of them had a chemical spill that was killing people. In those movies, he drove a model A Ford pickup.

Don Knott's was involved in several movies over the years. However, comparing Andy Griffith to Ron Howard isn't an even comparison given the time difference in their ages and the differences in the TV era. All 3 of these men are icons for TV Americana to various generations sometimes more than 1 generation.
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Andy also did about 3 movies as a small coastal town sheriff. In one he made a boat out of concrete. One of them had a chemical spill that was killing people. In those movies, he drove a model A Ford pickup.

Don Knott's was involved in several movies over the years. However, comparing Andy Griffith to Ron Howard isn't an even comparison given the time difference in their ages and the differences in the TV era. All 3 of these men are icons for TV Americana to various generations sometimes more than 1 generation.
His movie that sticks out in my mind was Pray For The Wildcats.. I was wrong about Don's role on the show anyway, it was five years, not one. Sorry (Don) sometimes my memory of TV Trivia fails me..

Wasn't really comparing the generations, just making mention of where that show has taken the individuals.

04-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter

His movie that sticks out in my mind was Pray For The Wildcats.. I was wrong about Don's role on the show anyway, it was five years, not one. Sorry (Don) sometimes my memory of TV Trivia fails me..

Wasn't really comparing the generations, just making mention of where that show has taken the individuals.

There were the spin of shows as well like Gomer Pyle, USMC.
04-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Inactive Account

There were the spin of shows as well like Gomer Pyle, USMC.
I've only seen the show in rerun (born 1963) but I think the show lost something both when Barney (THE master of the WTF look) left and Gomer joined the Marines, being replaced by cousin Goober (and after awhile, Warren the new Deputy).... The two of them together were classic.

04-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I've only seen the show in rerun (born 1963) but I think the show lost something both when Barney (THE master of the WTF look) left and Gomer joined the Marines, being replaced by cousin Goober (and after awhile, Warren the new Deputy).... The two of them together were classic.

I was born after then also. I saw them on reruns. I liked the episodes with The Darlings and also the ones with Ernest T. Bass. Hysterical