Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally happened--harassed by the fuzz.

It's 10AM on an idyllic, sunny, hot Sunday morning in Coral Springs, Florida. So little old me decided to stick the Vivitar 135 2.8 preset on the k-x and take a walk to shoot some shots for the new 135mm club. (Gee, thanks for the club.)

Now, Coral Springs isn't exactly like Mayfield where Beaver Cleaver and Eddie Haskell lived, but it's closer to it than a lot of other places. So I just went to photograph the boredom of suburbia.

A police vehicle is parked in the median as I begin to dramatically capture a "School Crossing" sign, and I continue shooting, ignoring the presence of law enforcement, because exactly what the hell am I doing wrong anyway? 20 yards from my HOUSE, no less?

Imagine my surprise when after 5, 10 minutes of harmless shooting--deciding to get funky and not use 4 or 5.6 but something in-between (I'm a real radical, huh?)--I hear from behind me, "Excuse me, sir? What are you doing?"

It went like this:

Male officer: What are you doing?

Me: Taking pictures.

Male Officer: With that camera? That lens must have cost a fortune.

Me: No--it's just an old preset Vivitar that I got off eBay for like 35 bucks. It looks bigger because of the Cokin hood.

Me again: Here's my driver's license. I live right over there [I point] where the white Jeep is.

Male Officer: One moment, sir. [And he proceeds to call into headquarters to check my status on the international terrorist list.]

Female Officer: Didn't you see that guy giving you the finger over there?

Me: No. I was looking through the viewfinder. And when I don't have my glasses on, I can't see anything. The camera has a built-in diopter corrector to fix that.

Anyway, to make a long story short, they were very nice throughout, and eventually learned I was not connected to Osama Bin Laden. I told them all about YOU guys here and how some of you had fascinating, similar experiences from other parts of the globe!

I also said, "I appreciate the job you do and I understand you have to respond to these things. But it's pretty weird not to be able to just walk down the block and take some pictures."

To which they said in agreement, "Sure you can. You're doing nothing wrong or illegal."

We'll see what happens NEXT time!

Last edited by Ira; 04-25-2010 at 08:23 AM.
04-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Nubi

I will tell you what though. If you showed up with A*1200 like smc is known to do in Canada, they might have called the homeland security on you.
04-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Male Officer: With that camera? That lens must have cost a fortune.
So I guess if you were out there with a POS camera, or an old Brownie, he wouldn't have bothered you.

Frankly, they should have arrested the guy who was throwing you the bird for indecent and threatening gestures or something (particularly since they must have witnessed him doing it). That's gotta be more illegal than taking photos of street signs.

Mike
04-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

where are the photos?

04-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have been hassled numerous times, but only by rent-a-cops, not real ones.

You may be interested in reading Ray Bradbury's short story, "The Pedestrian".
04-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
where are the photos?
I'll post the school sign later.
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
So I guess if you were out there with a POS camera, or an old Brownie, he wouldn't have bothered you.

Frankly, they should have arrested the guy who was throwing you the bird for indecent and threatening gestures or something (particularly since they must have witnessed him doing it). That's gotta be more illegal than taking photos of street signs.

Mike
For all I know, they were lying about that guy.

04-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #8

few nights ago near midnight, I took a picture, with a cell phone, from about 75 ft away, of three cars that were left running in a parking lot a block from my house. Didn't take but 30 seconds for a cop to start hollarin at me that I could delete that picture. No reason was given, and flashing a badge that didn't identify the cop or his department, it seemed the cop was acting more suspicious than I was. Haven't seen the cop or his friends again, who knows what they were up to.
04-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ira, It's a good thing you didn't meet up with a fellow Pentaxian and give him the secret handshake infront of the officers, or you would have both been sent to jail for a long time

QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
few nights ago near midnight, I took a picture, with a cell phone, from about 75 ft away, of three cars that were left running in a parking lot a block from my house. Didn't take but 30 seconds for a cop to start hollarin at me that I could delete that picture. No reason was given, and flashing a badge that didn't identify the cop or his department, it seemed the cop was acting more suspicious than I was. Haven't seen the cop or his friends again, who knows what they were up to.
How on earth did he know you were taking a pic, rather than just sending or receiving a text... or just looking to see who's calling
04-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Don't know if you guys saw my other post on this, but I didn't mention it to these officers:

That I've been in contact with Detective Meyers via email, because I worked with the guy who killed his wife and dumped her body in the car into the lake a few weeks ago.

Just didn't think of it, but it wasn't necessary anyway.
04-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Ira, I would be in the Police Chief's office. I do this kind of thing in Crawfordville, Monticello, Quincy, Havana, 2 Egg, Tallahassee including taking pics of police, firemen etc. The buck stops with the Chief or Sheriff.

Edit: When Barney asked you if you were taking pix with that camera, you should have said "Here's your sign!"
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I will tell you what though. If you showed up with A*1200 like smc is known to do in Canada, they might have called the homeland security on you.
Yeah, but with a lens that long, which homeland?
04-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ira, I would be in the Police Chief's office. I do this kind of thing in Crawfordville, Monticello, Quincy, Havana, 2 Egg, Tallahassee including taking pics of police, firemen etc. The buck stops with the Chief or Sheriff.

Edit: When Barney asked you if you were taking pix with that camera, you should have said "Here's your sign!"
They weren't nasty, someone MIGHT have called it in, so I have to give them the benefit
of the doubt.

Next time might be different though.
04-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #14

I admit, I always found it suspicious when someone would be taking pictures of buildings, etc, or anything but nature, but now that I have a camera, I'm one of those weird people taking pictures in random places
04-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
They weren't nasty, someone MIGHT have called it in, so I have to give them the benefit
of the doubt.

Next time might be different though.
Anytime you volunteer your ID like that or otherwise, ask for the officers' business cards. Its professional courtesy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
I admit, I always found it suspicious when someone would be taking pictures of buildings, etc, or anything but nature, but now that I have a camera, I'm one of those weird people taking pictures in random places
It still ties in with "establishment" paranoia and is dangerous in a free society.