Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #61
Banned

24" 1900x1200 Samsung and four 1080p HDTVs from 32" to 47" that I use with my Mac to view my 1080p60 HD videos on.
777 jet with 291 people dumping fuel over New Jersey ! - News Photographer on Vimeo

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUBWEqPu0Q[/yt]

05-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This makes me wonder if anyone makes a monitor which rotates: I've noticed one thing about our newer laptop, it's wider-format, but not as tall, which makes working on verticals a real pain.
05-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This makes me wonder if anyone makes a monitor which rotates: I've noticed one thing about our newer laptop, it's wider-format, but not as tall, which makes working on verticals a real pain.
The stand of the Dell 2209WA allows it to be rotated and used in a vertical orientation.
05-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #64
Inactive Account

It'd be harder to find a monitor that doesn't rotate.

05-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #65
Forum Member

I use a Sony Bravia 32" tv as my monitor.. Originally got it to play games as I could use xbox and pc easily on the one screen plus as a bonus I get to watch TV too! It's not as sharp as a dedicated monitor (I used to have a 15" LCD to the side though no longer have desk space) but I do love the size! Quite good when you have a few versions of photos that you want to compare side by side too.
05-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #66
Inactive Account

I noticed JVC was advertising a TV (in photography mags!) that had the full Adobe colour gamut. Don't know if all TVs can display full Adobe RGB, or if even if this TV was any good, but if you're a working photog and want to display photos to clients in all their properly-calibrated glory (the photos, not the clients,) then it'd be a great thing to hang in your office.
05-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
28% Off Viewsonic VX2739WM 27'' LCD Monitor - VX2739WM - Free ShippingBottom Line: $329.99 | Street: $460.00

Buy.com has the lowest and best price on the Viewsonic VX2739WM 27" LCD Monitor for $329.99 after $90 instant discount when added to shopping cart and $40 mail in rebate with free shipping.
Big screen, sleek design, fast response time and diverse connectivity options ‚€“ everything you need to work or play. With 27" 1080p panel, 1ms super fast response time, HDMI, DVI, VGA inputs and 4-port USB hub, ViewSonic‚€™s VX2739wm LCD will make your games seem real and your graphics picture perfect. All your entertainment is enhanced by 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for crystal crisp images and SRS Premium Sound for super crisp sound. ECO-mode saves up to 35% energy use making this an eco-friendly choice. It fits in anywhere. Put it on your desk or wall mount, use it as a monitor or a game console, hook it up to your cable/satellite box or to your DVD player, you will get the most out of your investment with ViewSonic‚€™s strongest pixel performance guarantee and 3-year warranty!
It's a TN panel...

Viewsonic VX2739WM 27'' LCD Monitor - VX2739WM - Buy.com

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 05-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #68

22"

dell

05-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
It'd be harder to find a monitor that doesn't rotate.
Yay!
05-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As the original starter of this thread, I am extremely pleased to say that My Dell 2209WA finally arrived today!!!! The monitor is COOL!!! Colour is crisp and sharp. It is sooooooo easssssy to preview pictures in PSE now! No need to zoom in and out. A press of F11 will bring the photo at full screen and i tell you, this is the best 300 bucks I ever spent!!!

And thanks for all the advice on monitors. I know I made the right purchase and I am confident the monitor will serve me well. It has a 3 years warranty which is good too!!

Thanks again u guys. Appreciate all your help.
05-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Great, Raider. As I start seeing the light-at-the-end-of-the-really-need-stuff tunnel, a monitor's feeling like the most pressing need of all, (Though I really should improve the flash situation.)

But one thing about trying to do post and all is still just feeling like I can't really see what I'm doing. I think that'd help with the whole 'making photos out of all this data' thing.
05-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #72

Some shitty 17" Dell trinitron.

Used to have a 17" Dell non-trinitron, then two 21" Rebranded Sonys for my Sun Ultra 20s and then Dells 20" IPS screen (wfp2007?) but the coating was horrible. Then my macbook pro but that one being an Apple machine don't work that good so .. yeah ..
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Great, Raider. As I start seeing the light-at-the-end-of-the-really-need-stuff tunnel, a monitor's feeling like the most pressing need of all, (Though I really should improve the flash situation.)

But one thing about trying to do post and all is still just feeling like I can't really see what I'm doing. I think that'd help with the whole 'making photos out of all this data' thing.
Definitely! I've had my new 2209WA for a few days now, and the improvement over my ~7-year-old Dell 1900FP (MVA panel) is quite amazing. It's so crisp and clear. I finally processed a few photos yesterday, and I was able to see much more of what I was working on. I finished more quickly, and my eyes were not so fatigued. That 1900FP was a very nice monitor in its day (and still better than today's TN panels), but it's no match for the 2209WA. I wish I had room for two!!
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
As the original starter of this thread, I am extremely pleased to say that My Dell 2209WA finally arrived today!!!! The monitor is COOL!!! Colour is crisp and sharp. It is sooooooo easssssy to preview pictures in PSE now! No need to zoom in and out. A press of F11 will bring the photo at full screen and i tell you, this is the best 300 bucks I ever spent!!!

And thanks for all the advice on monitors. I know I made the right purchase and I am confident the monitor will serve me well. It has a 3 years warranty which is good too!!

Thanks again u guys. Appreciate all your help.
Googled it and atleast it was an e-IPS panel, so yeah, good for you!

I don't know what I would had written if it was TN or PVA (though PVA would had been a non-issue for graphical work to, PVA screens also have good colors and such but the technique used to speed their latency up raise the input lag which would be an issue for anyone into gaming.)

Noone should buy a TN panel though. Cheap yes, but so what?

And e-IPS is way cheaper than IPS to.

Dell costumer service rock to, the 2007wfp I bought a few years ago for 3000 sek (normal price 4500 sek but dell mix percent and $ discounts) came, was very nice except the coating which looked like greasy dust so I decided it wasn't for me and of course I was allowed to return it, got my money back and I don't think I even had to pay the return shipping fee. So cost me nothing to try it out. Very nice of Dell. And their prices are good and their monitors are probably just as good as Apples even though they cost a hell of a lot less. They can also be tilted and got USB hubs and such (more connectors in general?)... which can't be said about the Apple ones I guess ... Atleast back then ..

If you haven't already, try a software calibrator.

OS X got a built in one, but I think this one is better:
http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

Windows:
http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html
Adobe gamma:
http://rapidshare.com/files/76864693/Adobe_Gamma.zip.html

Others will have to tell you what settings to use.

I use 6500k 2.2 gamma because I like the looks of it.

sRGB, Adobe RGB and Apple RGB uses a D65 white-point of approximately 6500 kelvin.
Adobe Wide Gamut RGB and ProPhoto RGB uses D50.

sRGB, Adobe RGB & Adobe Wide Gamut RGB doesn't use a single gamma value but the overall value is 2.2.
ProPhoto RGB and all OS X-versions before 10.6 uses gamma 1.8. In the latest version 10.6 snow leopard Apple has changed it to 2.2 (which I also think is what Windows use?)

(So with 6500k gamma 2.2 you're good to go with sRGB and Adobe RGB but not with ProPhoto RGB, Adobe Wide Gamut RGB nor Apple RGB ("The Apple RGB profile was originally created by Adobe (not Apple) for use with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. It is based on the classic Apple 13" RGB monitor with a gamma of 1.8 and 6500 white point."))

So it's a mess. If decide to use any other color space than sRGB when you work with your images make sure to export them in sRGB colorspace with their ICC-profile before uploading them to the web or similar so they will look the way you want them to look for others.

Last edited by aliquis; 05-18-2010 at 10:45 PM.
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #75

sRGB and Adobe RGB:

Adobe Wide Gamut RGB & (Kodak) ProPhoto RGB:

Lots of weird information:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml

Last edited by aliquis; 05-18-2010 at 10:51 PM.