Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips on calibration. I will certainly do that.

One question that i really wanted to ask is that the monitor is supplied with a DVI cable and i checked that the monitor also has a dvi input....so should i really be using DVI and not VGA?

I google a bit and the impression i get is that DVI signal is much sharper than VGA and the image quality is even better.

What do you guys think? Do you guys use DVI?

05-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #77
Inactive Account

What's the output socket on your GPU? I like DVI, don't know about the signal quality, but digital > analogue.
05-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Currently i am using the VGA port on the mobo. If DVI is so much more superior to VGA and now that i have the mighty IPS panel, i might as well spend a little more to get a video card with DVI output and make the most out of the monitor.

Just want to know if what i am reading abt DVI's superiority holds true for photography editing as well.
05-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Currently i am using the VGA port on the mobo. If DVI is so much more superior to VGA and now that i have the mighty IPS panel, i might as well spend a little more to get a video card with DVI output and make the most out of the monitor.

Just want to know if what i am reading abt DVI's superiority holds true for photography editing as well.
Yes, when I finally switched to DVI from VGA on my old Dell 1900FP, I noticed a much crisper image. I didn't even bother with VGA when I set up my new 2209WA. (My video card has both connectors.) I calibrated mine with Spyder Pro 3, which works great for me.

05-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What chipset is recommended? Nvidia or Radeon? I checked that i can get a 512MB video card (either nvidia or radeon) for $29. not sure if the card comes with dvi output though...
05-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #81
Veteran Member

What chipset is recommended? Nvidia or Radeon? I checked that i can get a 512MB video card (either nvidia or radeon) for $29. not sure if the card comes with dvi output though...
I've used both, but I prefer Nvidia. Last time I upgraded my video card, I didn't have a very deep case, so I needed a shorter card. I also chose one that doesn't require a dedicated power cable from the PSU. So I went with an XFX 9500GT. That was probably a year or more ago, but here's a list of 9500GT cards:

Newegg Link to 9500GT cards

Now you may find a newer model you'd like better. My recommendation is get as much RAM as you can afford. I also made sure I got GDDR3, as it's faster than GDDR2. (Probably not much if any real-world difference though.) Because different manufacturers take various liberties in building their cards around the Nvidia specs, I usually check the specs at Nvidia and then compare different manufacturers' versions before making my final choice. In the 9500GTs at least, you can get 1GB RAM for less than $75.

I have 512MB, and it's fine for my needs. Unless $$ are really tight, I'd spend more than ~$30.

HTH!
05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #82
Inactive Account

DVI makes bugger-all difference to photo editing - it's just a data transmission standard - but it's well worth getting a decent card. Photoshop can make good use of a decent GPU.

Nothing too fancy necessary. I will disagree with twokat - Nvidia's quite crap at the moment. They run hotter and cost more than an equivalent ATI card. And the 9500GT is quite old (and for what you want, there's no point in ordering in from Newegg, which is a US site. I wouldn't use for price guidelines, either.)

You'll need to find out the make and model of your motherboard, so we can find out what slots you've got on there. First step is to download and run CPU-Z, and find out what motherboard you've got. Then go to the manufacturer's website, and find out if your board's running PCI Express slots or still on the old AGP standard. (If it's AGP, your options are limited.)

Let us know of your system stats, and we'll go from there. Dig around on StaticIce for prices.

CPU-Z link: CPUID

StaticIce, a website that lets you search for specific hardware from Australia computer stores and ranks them according to price: staticICE - Compare Prices - Australia - Price comparison for gadgets and computer hardware

05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the mobo model: It is an MSI Ms-7525 mobo (it is a compaq SR5520AN). I opened up the casing and notice that there is 1 no. PCI Express x 16 slot and 2 no. PCI Express x 1 slot.

I figured i can drop a PCI Express x 16 display card in the x16 slot.
05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #84
Inactive Account

Bingo. Try an ATI 5570 for about a $100 (it's not point bothering with the really, really cheap stuff.) Or a 5770 would be even better.

Wait, do you know the wattage of your PSU?
05-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think i know where u are heading.....the existing power supply might need to beef up to take the video card...

It is a stock power supply unit but i will check when i open up the case. Will report back.

I am already running 4 hard drives in there....1x160GB sata, 2x250GB EIDE, 1x320GB EIDE and 1 PCI Raid card. So I am not very optimistic i can further put in a display card w/o overloading the power supply....should have thought of this earlier....but i will report back the wattage rating on the P.S.
05-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I think i know where u are heading.....the existing power supply might need to beef up to take the video card...

It is a stock power supply unit but i will check when i open up the case. Will report back.

I am already running 4 hard drives in there....1x160GB sata, 2x250GB EIDE, 1x320GB EIDE and 1 PCI Raid card. So I am not very optimistic i can further put in a display card w/o overloading the power supply....should have thought of this earlier....but i will report back the wattage rating on the P.S.
I hadn't noticed you were in Australia, sorry for sending you to a US site for pricing. Re ATI vs Nvidia, it's rather like AMD vs Intel. They're continually one-upping each other. Right now I still prefer Nvidia & Intel, though at times I've gone for ATI and AMD. Matter of opinion and what each thinks is better bang for buck.

You probably do need a better PSU. Perhaps you should build a whole new computer? I build my own, and right now my video card is the weak point, as it came from my older system. It does what I need it to do, so no point in spending more $$ right now.

But do compare VGA to DVI, and I think you'll indeed notice an improvement. To me, it's rather like a soft image compared to a crisp and nicely sharpened one.

Good luck!

Last edited by twokatmew; 05-20-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typo
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You probably do need a better PSU. Perhaps you should build a whole new computer?
Damn! That's exactly what my wife said last nite!

Maybe I really should just replace the box with something more updated rather than messing around with components.....BUT have been saving up for the DA12-24 and i dont want to touch that fund! decisions decisions decisons.....
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: I managed to get an older Radeon X300 SE 128MB DDR display card from the office and it has a DVI output.

Will try the DVI connection tonite and see how things go
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #89
Nubi

I use NEC multisync P221w, and it came with a x-rite calibration hard- and software. I initially wanted to buy Eizo monitor, but just couldn't justify the cost. I bought this monitor, and then another lens instead.

I say this now that I have calibration. You really need to do that if you print. I just cannot see ever printing another image without a calibrated monitor with a hood (a custom made in my case!)
Attached Images

05-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #90
Inactive Account

Maybe I really should just replace the box with something more updated rather than messing around with components.....BUT have been saving up for the DA12-24 and i dont want to touch that fund! decisions decisions decisons.....
DO NOT buy another bloody Compaq! Or HP. Or IBM. Or Acer. Or whatever.

Find a nice local builder, tell 'em what you want it for, and have them knock you up a custom-made one. Seriously, the smaller the builder, generally, the better. I'd put a box knocked up by a 17-year-old kid with hentai fetish over any mass-produced POS any day of the week. I'd also come out with more change in my pocket.

Or get any of the vast amount of geekery on this forum or Whirlpool or Overclockers to help you out.