Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Speaking of 45s, I'm just listening to my first 12 inch 45 single now. Today's haul is a Pet Shop Boys cover of "Always on my mind" - I recognized the band name but not the song so I figured it was worth a try.

05-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah, the 12"s that play at 45rpm... I've got a few, always forget to change the speed for them and then wonder for a moment why they're playing in slow-mo.

That's a fun song... "Maybe I didn't treat you/Quite as good as I should." One of their more subdued numbers. I've always liked 'Go West' and 'West End Girls'.

It's probably for the best that you can't buy new vinyl here (other than dance music and the very occasional indie release), I've got more than enough other things clamouring for my cash. If we could, I know I'd be buying. Fortunately, CDs have no such appeal (although they once did going on how many I accumulated as a teen).

There is a definite charm to vinyl though, and I think bundling them with a digital download option is the way to go - analog for collecting and special occasions, digital for day to day. I've downloaded the bulk of what I have on vinyl for exactly that reason. And yes, I mean downloaded for free... I've already paid for it once after all.
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #18

Ah how i love the sound of viynl. There is a few places locally that carry a great selection. Recently picked up a Kansas album. I recently pick up a copy of coheed and cambria LP.

On the new vinyl subject. Has anyone else seen the new vinyls they are selling at best buy? They are re pressing old albums. I personally disagree with the idea.
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only vinyl I've bought over the last 15 or so years has been unopened stock of Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Jim and Jesse, Vassar Clements,etc. and then Del McCoury, Sam Bush and Chris Hillman. There's a Vintage Vinyl store here in a bohemian business district a short walk from my home - from time to time they find some NOS and they know enough to call me and a few other devotees around town.

Sidebar, I am devastated to imagine of the flooding of the Grand Ole Opry.

05-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
On the new vinyl subject. Has anyone else seen the new vinyls they are selling at best buy? They are re pressing old albums. I personally disagree with the idea.
Why? As long as it's done well, that is, which is one thing one has to wonder about....
05-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I haven't touched vinyl in eons!

Pat
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hee. Some stuff just isn't the same without the random little pops and crackles. Old Cocteau Twins? I had favorite dubbed-off-vinyl cassettes, once upon a time.

Old. Yeah. That'd be age.

05-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #23

I've been listening to The National's new album High Violet all day on vinyl. It sound so great. I was quite excited about it, too, as it doesn't release until the 11th, but my record store had 'em in last night, so it was a total surprise to see it!

I'm noticing more and more albums being released on 180 gram double LPs, too, with 256 or 320kbps digital download instead of 128. The only thing that sucks about all these double LPs is that they're more expensive.
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Why? As long as it's done well, that is, which is one thing one has to wonder about....
Well, I guess the bad news is, in my opinion, the Best Buy releases aren't done that well. Granted, I've purchased just one new record from Best Buy which was Abbey Road so I've by no means assembled a true sample. A little research of the label and remaster lead to rumors saying the remastering was done from digital dupes of the original masters - they made a vinyl record pressing using the dupe intended for the CD that per rumor was the version released in the late '80s, not the recent remasters. My copy is maybe the worst sounding LP in my collection - Stereophile recently ran a best LPs of all time article and a couple of their writers picked the Best Buy Abbey Road. Amazing!

My red-label Columbia and Capitol stereo LPs from the '50s and '60s are simply fantastic. With these used LPs priced at $1 each at the thrifts why buy the $25 remasters at BB?

After all of that, I'll still defend compact disc. Decently mastered CDs from before about 1994 run on decent medium grade equipment can be amazing. Listen to the Plant + Krauss Raising Sand CD a couple of times for perspective on my pre-1994 comment.
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So... I will post some images to liven the topic.

These were during the last big inventory sale I went to nearly two years ago. The store owner had died and his widow had finally gotten around to selling all the stock reported at I can't remember how many hundred thousand records.
I came home with about 50 or 60.
05-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Cool, that's what Princeton Record Exchange looked like years ago... No wonder I wanted to spend my 33 1/3 birthday there