Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Noah's Ark have been discovered

THE remains of Noah's Ark have been discovered 13,000ft up a Turkish mountain, it has been claimed.

A group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers say they have found wooden remains on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey.

They claim carbon dating proves the relics are 4,800 years old — around the same time the ark was said to be afloat.

The rest of the story is here.
'Noah's Ark' found in Turkey | The Sun |News

Could it be?

04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again?

Someone said the same thing in like 1980.
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Again?

Someone said the same thing in like 1980.
Yep, and its been debated back and forth ever since.
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, and its been debated back and forth ever since.
This time it looks like the real deal.

What happened to my link?

Last edited by jgredline; 04-27-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Removed the link - looks like a browser hijack.
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The only problem there would be that 'Young Earth Creationism' has to deny the validity of any other carbon-dating ever done to even interpret such a find as you imply as being dateable, never mind implying any such thing 'proves' the Bible's 'literally-true,' true, thus Earth's purportedly too-young to carbon-date.

I'll see if I can get through to this link, but... It sounds like you're disproving your own claims of methodology.

--emergency edit--- Err, actually, nobody pull that finger. And clear your cookies if you tried. Browser hijack.

*@&#&#^. !

(Further edit.)

Anyway, Javier, if you still have access to the content, you could cut and paste it as text here.

Looks like a bait and switch to me. "Compelling evidences are here! Aa! Some 'enemy' has taken it away! But it was there! Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of.... Pull my finger!"

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-27-2010 at 11:53 AM.
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Cool... Hopefully Noah left something that will explain why he decided to bring mosquitoes...
04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Cool... Hopefully Noah left something that will explain why he decided to bring mosquitoes...
Well, I dunno, just cause there's no such 'two by two' genetic bottleneck... and everything doesn't actually reproduce that way... Doesn't mean no one ever brought wood up a mountain considered sacred long before there were Hebrews.

Me, I'd just love to have a New Age convention at the 'Atlantis' resort in the Bahamas. Put up a big sign that says, "Welcome to the world's most blatant self-fulfilling prophecy!" Maybe another one that says, "Hi, esteemed seers, among the ancestors of Plato! If You're Reading This, Your Folklore about Thera May Become A Moralistic Cargo Cult! Love and Kisses, Later! "

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-27-2010 at 12:05 PM.
04-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This time it looks like the real deal.
I really hope so. There is nothing I like to hear more from the scientific community than new discoveries that corroborate the Bible.
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, here is the link again. I was able to get in this time.

http://www.noahsarksearch.net/
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I really hope so. There is nothing I like to hear more from the scientific community than new discoveries that corroborate the Bible.
Well, let's see the report. "Evangelical Explorers" are the only people even named as making it. And the link, is the 'Sun,' (That's like the National Enquirer or Weekly World News, for us Americans, btw.)

Fact is, 'corroboration' would seem to be something very selectively-accepted, even by the very methods of carbon dating referred to without a citation (At least a citation that doesn't try to open a gazillion browser tabs. )

There are many wonders in the world... But do they 'corroborate' people claiming a translation of a book is authority on *everything* even if they show plausible?

Especially if they claim the use of methods which they have to deny for the rest of reality to even be relevant if they don't 'support their conclusions' ...?

Or did this 'go away' cause someone *made it up?*

'Enquiring' minds want to know.

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Ok, here is the link again. I was able to get in this time.

http://www.noahsarksearch.net/
Now it's a *Chinese* tabloid.

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 03:24 PM ----------

The link to the Sun is working.

Kind of an ironic name for the paper, given the mountain.

That's not an 'Ark,' Javier.

That's a *burial chamber.* (If anything from the cited time and place, actually: close inspection shows stacked beams with long, but not millenia-old oxidation, and square cuts and signs of recent handling about those square edges: even if somehow that compartment remained ice-free all that time, it shouldn't look like that. There's also an absence of any form of tool-marks and every appearance that that inset, rounded protrusion was actually fit in place by use of a tool that produces 'tear-out,' ... look at the fresh, bright wood amid that older oxidation. Also look at what looks like a drip of wood-resin at the corner of that rounded beam. With the rest of what's just in that picture, it'd appear that whatever that stuff is, it was applied *before* the wood oxidized, but that doesn't square with the fresh cuts, which should have aged *first.* )

Look at it.

Wood, that age, generally will look quite black, even under the coldest conditions. If I found that myself, I'd say it was recycled Victorian timber. The most obvious explanation, though, is simply that the edges of the old timbers are worn from a sawmill and blade lubricant spilled down from one of the cuts of the notch before an artificial aging was applied.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-27-2010 at 12:53 PM.
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNkcK2toExY[/yt]

@ 0:38
04-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

I can almost believe the Ark, but I can't believe he lived to be like 950.

He must have looked like crap.
04-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNkcK2toExY[/yt]

@ 0:38

Heh. Now there's a character I can identify with.

"I tore these out of your symbol, but they turned into paper.' "

Also, to wit, I'd like to give you back your symbol, then, but if you want to claim authority over other things from a carpenter... Don't fudge the carpentry around someone who knows from digging up old wood.

Also, kind of the point is: This nonsense is *not your faith.*

Sure doesn't prove anything to *me,* and what was it supposed to prove to *you,* anyway?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.
04-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It must be true....it looks to me like it got stuck in an ancient drive thru. Bummer.
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, let's see the report. "Evangelical Explorers" are the only people even named as making it. And the link, is the 'Sun,' (That's like the National Enquirer or Weekly World News, for us Americans, btw.)
Problem is the National Enquirer is right more often than not. Or so they say. (I wonder who "they" are?)
Closed Thread