Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can I ask a question ?

In 'another life' I work with adult male survivors of sexual abuse, I'm a survivor myself and now work for a charity that provides professional therapy for all survivors of abuse and rape.

I've just started a mens group and one of the recurring themes is "masculinity, and what makes me a man", something that sexual abuse as a boy can create a world of confusion as an adult.

So, what I'm after is the "man on streets perception of what defines YOU as a man ?"

I don't need long essays, and you certainly don't need to be a survivor yourself. What I'm after is the "normal stuff" that men see as defining their male role in society, and amongst family and friends.

For me participating in hobbies and sports that I love has been a great help, my other passion is driving in off road 4x4 competitions ( very macho ) but my love of photography has enabled me to meet and interact with other like minded people, and as a hobby it does seem to be male dominated. That 'normal' interaction , mainly with other men who aren't defined by their own abuse, has meant a lot to me over the last few years.
But there's more to it than that, although my hobbies have helped they obviously don't altogether define the "man" that I am, and the guys in the group are really struggling to find parameters, maybe role models? of maleness.

So what defines YOU as a man ?

04-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
So what defines YOU as a man ?
The way I respect, and treat others. The way I hold my temper, however unleash enough attitude to let others know when I'm getting pushed. The way I stick up for others, when they need it, and yet let them fight their own battles when the odds aren't against them. It's really endless, and every man will be different.