Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on the user.

Each user has a 'reputation power' which is computed as follows:

1 + whole years of membership + floor(postcount/1000) + floor (reputation score/100).

For example, yours would be 1 + 1 + 0 + 0. Each time you leave reputation, you'd increase someone's score by 2.

Let's take mine as a second example. It would be: 1 + 3 + 6 + 0. So every time I leave reputation, I increase the member's score by 10.

This scales very slowly, and thus makes for an overall well-balanced system

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I am missing something what are the usefull benefits of this reputation thing? are others able to see the ranking or is it something that only the Mods and the actual person checking his reputation be able to see them? just a little confused by all of it is all
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The system has a threefold purpose:

-Users can see appreciative comments about their posts (in the User CP)
-Helpful users are publicly recognized, as reputation icons are shown in your profile
-High reputation leads to bonuses- Pentaxian status @1000 rep, and maybe more later on!

Note that the actual reputation value isn't visible publicly. However, there are reputation 'levels' defined, and each one comes with a descriptive string along with a set of icons.

The current intervals are split at 0/10/25/50/100/150/250/350/500/750/1000/1500/2000/4000/10000.

That last rank will have a LOT of medals shown in the profile, hehe

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Wouldn't it be good to appear under the user's name in the forum, so that if one is reading another's advice, a quick glance at their rep would indicate whether or not one should grant creedance to said advice?

04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If I figure out a way to integrate it cleanly, then I most definitely will. However, at the moment it seems like there's no room left. Perhaps I could place the icons inside the actual popup (although that would sort of be defeating the 'reference' aspect)?

Adam

04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Wouldn't it be good to appear under the user's name in the forum, so that if one is reading another's advice, a quick glance at their rep would indicate whether or not one should grant creedance to said advice?
People aren't going to be voting on how credible the person is.

They'll use what psychologists call the "genital-based" assessment criteria.
04-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO this is another "improvement" of questionable merit.

Chris
I do wonder about the pain-in-the-butt/benefit equation.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be working. As far as I can tell I've gotten no reputation points! ME! Either it's busted or there's a conspiracy against me or you all are a bunch of ungrateful dolts. I mean, I take a lot of time dispensing opinions of questionable value here and what thanks do I get? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! Let me tell you this: if I don't get 337 points by the end of the day, I am so out of here!

Sorry--I had to get that out of my system ;~)

Seriously, though, there are a lot of folks here who have been incredibly helpful and who I look forward to acknowledging. I just hope it doesn't become the focus of obsessive contention.

04-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I generally hate ranking systems on forums. Everyone on on the is pretty much equal, and any inequalities should be kept to yourself. Believe it or not, I try to judge people on a per-post basis. Only very obvious trolls or spammers really get me.
04-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please give us the option to hide reputations of others.
I'd rather not see them lest they prejudice my opinion.

Chris
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What do you mean? It's hardly visible as it is- just don't look!

Adam

04-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's hardly visible as it is- just don't look!
So what's the point?

Is this just a Web-2-point-0 "social" thing?
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See earlier in the thread for an answer to that question. And no, it certainly isn't web 2.0. Most of the web 2.0 crap is disabled on our forum.

Adam

04-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope for a large rep as it will look good on my resume.
05-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #44
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting view as a web-based forum is almost by definition web 2.0.

DAZ