Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Is this a state law or a graphic's wannabe law?
Actually it is in Florida's Constitution. Article II Section 9

QuoteQuote:
SECTION 9. English is the official language of Florida.--

(a) English is the official language of the State of Florida.

(b) The legislature shall have the power to enforce this section by appropriate legislation.

History.--Proposed by Initiative Petition filed with the Secretary of State August 8, 1988; adopted 1988.
When will you learn not to doubt me?

30 states have English as the official language

States with Official English (30):
QuoteQuote:
Alabama: Constitutional amendment (1990) passed by ballot.
Alaska: Statutory voter initiative (1998).
Arizona: Constitutional amendment (2006)
Arkansas: Statute (1987)
California: Constitutional Amendment (1986).
Colorado: Constitutional Amendment (1988).
Florida: Constitutional Amendment (1988). Petition initiative
Georgia: Legislative Statute (1986, 1996).
Hawaii: Constitutional Amendment (1978) by the legislature.
Idaho: Legislative Statute (2007)
Illinois: Statute (1969)
Indiana: Statute (1984)
Iowa: Legislative Statute (2002)
Kansas: Legislative Statute (2007)
Kentucky: Statute (1984)
Louisiana: The formerly predominantly French Territory of Louisiana adopted English as its official language as a precondition for its admission into the Union as a state (1807)
Massachusetts: The original constitution was interpreted as having established an official language (1975).
Mississippi: Legislative Statute (1987)
Missouri: Constitutional Amendment (2008) by popular vote
Montana: Legislative Statute (1995)
Nebraska: Constitutional Amendment (1920) by popular vote
New Hampshire: Legislative Statute (1995)
North Carolina: Legislative Statute (1987)
North Dakota: Legislative Statute (1987)
South Carolina: Legislative Statute (1987)
South Dakota: Legislative Statute (1987)
Tennessee (1984) Legislative Statute
Utah: Statute (2000) passed by petition initiative.
Virginia: Legislative Statutes (1981, 1996)
Wyoming: Statute (1996)
QuoteQuote:
States without official English (20):
Connecticut
Delaware*
Maine
Maryland
Michigan*
Minnesota
Nevada
New Mexico
New Jersey*
New York Oklahoma*
Ohio*
Oregon
Pennsylvania*
Rhode Island*
Texas
Vermont
Washington*
West Virginia*
Wisconsin*

* Official English Legislation has been introduced in the current legislative session.

States with private rights of actions (5):
A private right of action is the right of an individual to sue, or otherwise take legal action against a state for failure to enforce or implement a law. The following states' official English laws include private rights of action:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona California
South Dakota

States requiring English for driver's licenses

Arizona
Kansas
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Wyoming
Hawaii
Maine
Oklahoma
Utah

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 05-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Actually it is in Florida's Constitution. Article II Section 9

30 states have English as the official language

States with Official English (30):
Hey George , now are you going to tell them why this was passed in'88?
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

Being in Florida where tourism is our mainstay I've done work for people from many different countries. The majority spoke English. Those that didn't and weren't from a latin country made it work. One couple stands out. They both spoke English very well. I was doing wedding programs for their daughter getting married here. He wanted to explain what I was saying to his wife in his native tongue. We were getting technical with a few details and he felt she would understand better. What does he do? He excuses himself and apologizes and asks permission. I've never has a spanish person do that. Doubt I ever will. For the most part in this respect they are rude. It's a constant bone of contention with me and my step father in law. Me, my brother in law and him will be talking in English. All of a sudden he starts talking to the BIL in spanish. Torques me to no end. And my wife wonders why I tell her I'd learn Russian before I ever learn spanish.
05-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look, I live in Houston,Texas. Can anyone tell me why I should let illegal Aliens take over my neighborhood and and schools? There are over 300,000 of them in southwest Houston where I grew up. All of you Northern libs need to walk in our shoes before you talk.
A

05-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Look, I live in Houston,Texas. Can anyone tell me why I should let illegal Aliens take over my neighborhood and and schools? There are over 300,000 of them in southwest Houston where I grew up. All of you Northern libs need to walk in our shoes before you talk.
A
You think Fla is any better?
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If you want your kids to speak and write PERFECT English, you should hire British teachers to do it. The English spoken in America IS NOT perfect.
The English spoken ANYWHERE is not perfect...there is no such thing. Language is fluid, changing over time. To try to prescribe a "pure" version is folly.
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A
Look, I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

...so what?

05-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

A
Not sure what your point is. Illegal aliens are taking over neighborhoods and schools? You mean like "Red Dawn"? If this is the case, I don't think anyone is telling you to let it happen...in fact, you need to fight it! WOLVERINES!!!

Oh, I'm in Tucson so I don't need to walk in your shoes, and the policy this thread is about is idiotic...but expected from the idiots that run our state government.
05-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have seen your posts (and actually read a couple of them), so I will always doubt you.
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I have seen your posts (and actually read a couple of them), so I will always doubt you.
You like making mistakes I see.
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You like making mistakes I see.
I think you missed his point George.......he knows you!

As for English......sure, I think all Americans should speak English, but they don't. What I do see is that the children of illegals are rapidly learning English, and it is mostly the older illegals that refuse to learn...or are just too lazy. Young people need no laws to tell them what they must do to get ahead....and they are doing it. Helping them is not a bad idea...is it? They are not going anywhere, they will be here forever, so do we want them to learn English, and help them do it, or is it that we really just want to complain and don't give a rat's hiney if they speak English or not?
Regards!
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I live in Houston,Texas. Can anyone tell me why I should let illegal Aliens take over my neighborhood and and schools?
If you’d learnt your own history, you’d have known that most original white settlers in Texas were illegal immigrants who poured over the border, outnumbered locals, and declared independence. So the least you could do, is not sound so indignant. One dishing it out should be ready to receive the same.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think all Americans should speak English, but they don't.
Yeah, remember those infamous illiterate teabagging posters on the subject?

QuoteQuote:
What I do see is that the children of illegals are rapidly learning English, and it is mostly the older illegals that refuse to learn...or are just too lazy.
Practically speaking, they don’t have to. Their diaspora is large enough for self-sustainability (they go to their own stores, they work with their own people etc.).

Hell, you don’t have to be illegal, nor have large community to live without English. My parents had been in the States for some 12 years, they don’t socialize much, and the only contact with fellow Russians out here is when they go to the Russian store. When it comes to dealing with locals, my dad does the talking, but my mom can hardly speak anything. And yes, we’re as legal as they get.
05-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I think much of the problem is overreaction by those that just plain don't like "foreigners". I've heard it said many times how some find it offensive when they are in a public place and others are speaking another language....why is that? They aren't talking to me, so why should I care? There is no doubt a backlash against "invaders" of our land.........even if they are perfectly legal. Like our ancestors were never "invaders"? And color plays a role, there is no doubt about that either....as I said once before, can you imagine Arizona passing a law that would require the identification of millions of Scandinavian Beauty Queens walking their streets? I mean, if this is what it is really about, why not?
Regards!
05-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
................can you imagine Arizona passing a law that would require the identification of millions of Scandinavian ............
Regards!
On the up side, there would probably be fewer cops protesting that one.
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
On the up side, there would probably be fewer cops protesting that one.
And we could do volunteer work to assist?
Regards!