Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That can always come later, in another body model. What matters now is that they are introducing a new mount designed for mirrorless cameras. Ricoh/Pentax, as well as Nikon, should take notes on how Canon does business.

The smart part is that they don't threaten their SLR market now, but with this new mirrorless mount, they can always expand the system later. The not so smart part is that they give time to Olympus, Sony, Samsung, and Fuji to strengthen their lead in this area - I don't think Canon will attract a lot of new people to this system unless their lens roadmap is really exciting. Let's see the official announcement.

I agree.

Their approach is to invest not so much in the "mirrorless" system, but more into a new line of compact lenses. I think this is a novel approach into this segment, really.

07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I agree.

Their approach is to invest not so much in the "mirrorless" system, but more into a new line of compact lenses. I think this is a novel approach into this segment, really.
Well...i don't think its too novel - Sony and Fuji were there first in the aps sensor size compact mount. But i agree with you in that this is what i wanted Pentax to do before the K01, and could still do.

I don't know enough about optics, but will this shorter registration distance compromise optics like Sony's lenses seem to be, they seem to have sharper centers with softer edges - not that its bad, it just is.

We don't know enough about the Canon camera yet, but this is something i could like if its not too compromised
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sony and Fuji were there first in the aps sensor size compact mount.
Samsung was the first - their NX cameras came before the NEX and XPro1. And they have as many pancake lenses as those systems put together.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't know enough about optics, but will this shorter registration distance compromise optics like Sony's lenses seem to be, they seem to have sharper centers with softer edges - not that its bad, it just is.
We'll see, but I would note that Canon is a better lens manufacturer than Sony. That is why Sony partnered with Zeiss.
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #64
Forum Member

Pentax has this main advantage over all other camera makers: a wide selection of small, lightweight prime lenses with absolute world class quality, and they're affordable. The K-01 was built to take advantage of those lenses; they feel right at home on a smaller, classy looking camera. There's been a trend towards classic design lately, like that of the fuji x100 and similarly, a trend twards the classic prime lenses, simplicty, quality, and usefulness trump stats and spec sheets. I hate to use the iphone as an example because its successful for many more reasons but one of them is the design. Pentax has chose a different route than fuji, leica, or cannon, based on the success of their small hi-quality primes, and will continue to exploit that strength.

07-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Samsung was the first - their NX cameras came before the NEX and XPro1. And they have as many pancake lenses as those systems put together.

Sony has likely sold more Nex 3 than samsung has all models combined. The samsung system looks ok but it is a marginal seller at best. the q/K-01 combo probably come close on volumes worldwide

Canon will sell a ton of these (though I don't find it all that interesting) just by virtue of the name. they still have a long way to go to match the m 4/3 for system versatility
Samsung has a pretty good range of native lenses (nothing compared to whats available in 4/3) but if Canon gets serious it wouldn't take them long to match that many lenses

That being said I still think the NEX7 and the OMD are the 2 most impressive MILC at the moment (the xpro is a close second)
NEX i find too small and lens assortment needs work, OMD it's really down to sensor performance and limitations of the m4/3 sensor (ie DOF for instance) I actually liked the OMD fit and feel when i picked it up and tried it though -
I like the K-01 and if they introduced an enthusiast variant i'd be interested
The Q I also like but only as a secondary cam (now the price makes it tempting)
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buceemie Quote
Pentax has this main advantage over all other camera makers:
Let's see:

a wide selection
A handful of pancake lenses for a 40 year old mount is not a wide selection. The 2 year old NX system already has 3 pancake lenses.

of small, lightweight prime lenses
This was true for DSLRs, but by MILC standards, these lenses are no longer remarkably small and lightweight.

with absolute world class quality,
Arguable.

and they're affordable.
They're more expensive than what you get from other systems - they are better built too, but they are not more affordable.
07-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #67
Pentaxian

But, I don' think that Sony, Fuji, Samsung have "wide" selection of lenses. I see a shit load of lenses to come from Canon, but I could wrong as always, of course.
07-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
But, I don' think that Sony, Fuji, Samsung have "wide" selection of lenses.
MFT is far ahead in this area, but the others shouldn't be ignored.

Sony... well, maybe we can ignore Sony for now.

Fuji has a good roadmap - the 18-55/2.8-4 and 50-200/3.5-4.8 have no equivalent in MFT world or even DSLR world for that matter. They remind me of the old Tamron/Vivitar lenses in terms of aperture range. If they could only fix manual focusing...

Samsung has a small but very nice lens selection - those 3 pancakes (16, 20, and 30mm), the 60mm macro, and the fast 85mm make a great set of lenses. It's not a wide selection, but I would say it's as wide as the selection of compact and small Pentax lenses - especially since those Pentax lenses can be adapted to Samsung. And if Samsung can tap their relationship with Schneider, they would get one more attraction point. I have high hopes for Samsung. I especially hope they'll add IS to their camera bodies - if they'll do that, they'll get one more customer.

07-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #69
Banned

Pentax has this main advantage over all other camera makers: a wide selection of small, lightweight prime lenses with absolute world class quality, and they're affordable. The K-01 was built to take advantage of those lenses; they feel right at home on a smaller, classy looking camera. There's been a trend towards classic design lately, like that of the fuji x100 and similarly, a trend twards the classic prime lenses, simplicty, quality, and usefulness trump stats and spec sheets. I hate to use the iphone as an example because its successful for many more reasons but one of them is the design. Pentax has chose a different route than fuji, leica, or cannon, based on the success of their small hi-quality primes, and will continue to exploit that strength.
Someone posting here and hitting the nail on the head; and all before their tenth posting.

A great perspective.
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Someone posting here and hitting the nail on the head; and all before their tenth posting.

A great perspective.
Really? Because the K-01 is basically the exact same size as the regular DSLR cameras. What is being leveraged here? Why not just buy a regular K-mount DSLR?
07-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Hmm anyone think a Q replacement will come out this year..?
07-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Unlikely. They've talked about releasing a lens and a PK-adaper for "the" Q.
And how would you improve that thing reasonably anyway? I'm not certain if the lenses would still work on a larger sensor.
07-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Pentax's mirrorless "strategy" so far is something you would expect of a mad hatter.
07-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Unlikely. They've talked about releasing a lens and a PK-adaper for "the" Q.
And how would you improve that thing reasonably anyway? I'm not certain if the lenses would still work on a larger sensor.
I guess this is the main issue. The market is moving to a larger sensor, but would the Q work on that larger-sensor system? I guess that doubling the sensorsize to fuji's x10 would already be great, but what are lenses doing?
07-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
A quick check reminded me that the Q was released in November last year: it's not even a year old. I'd guess an 18-month release cycle is more feasible.