Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
similar experience

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
No, it already is something very good. I was a K-01 denier. I just hated the look of it with a passion. But the price drop and first-hand use accounts (and samples) got me to try it. Still not crazy about the look, but I'm pretty smitten with the camera.

My wife had a similar experience. When I first showed it to her, she didn't like it one bit. Too toy-like, no OVF. Then we took it to a wedding and she used it a little and saw the results. She's pretty amped about it now.

The focus-peaking has caused me to decide that I want this feature on all cameras from now on. Which means that I will not be buying a K-5IIs, which I was previously planning to do. I will be waiting on the next, all-new DSLR body, which is sure to have it (don't want a K-30).
Amazing how much sales are based on "the look" (I actually like the look). I appreciate the anecdote and think it shows how much photography can be enhanced by actually using the new types of equipment, and ignoring what it looks like. Got mine only because of the price drop occurring right when parts of my K200D are dying. I really like the big screen and not being forced to look through a small viewfinder (I can hold it out to the side, yes even with a terrible grip, and still get the shot I want). I can also add a removable 3" LCD loupe if I want and treat it like an EVF. I love it that I don't have to mess with lens focus adjustments. I love that it is relatively QUIET compared to DSLRs. I like that it uses the same battery as the K-5, so if/when I replace the K200D, it will most likely be a K-5 variant. And things to like are the manual focus-peaking, the K-5 like sensor quality, and HQ stereo/video.

Now, if the technology can get a kick/breakthrough for the turtle-like contrast-detect focusing, and also be able to focus in lower light levels, then I believe this would become a more viable design compared to the traditional DSLR with OVF and phase-detect focusing. Supposedly, the on-sensor focus technology shows some promise but have not read up on it enough to understand it. Mirrorless features are going to be more and more incorporated into DSLR designs as it becomes cost-effective. I don't believe it is one or the other, I think it is much more organic and symbiotic. Or, perhaps more like a fungus or growth taking over very slowly. Whichever analogy you like....

Last edited by goldenarrow; 12-27-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: .
12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Amazing how much sales are based on "the look" (I actually like the look). I appreciate the anecdote and think it shows how much photography can be enhanced by actually using the new types of equipment, and ignoring what it looks like. Got mine only because of the price drop occurring right when parts of my K200D are dying. I really like the big screen and not being forced to look through a small viewfinder (I can hold it out to the side, yes even with a terrible grip, and still get the shot I want). I can also add a removable 3" LCD loupe if I want and treat it like an EVF. I love it that I don't have to mess with lens focus adjustments. I love that it is relatively QUIET compared to DSLRs. I like that it uses the same battery as the K-5, so if/when I replace the K200D, it will most likely be a K-5 variant. And things to like are the manual focus-peaking, the K-5 like sensor quality, and HQ stereo/video.

Now, if the technology can get a kick/breakthrough for the turtle-like contrast-detect focusing, and also be able to focus in lower light levels, then I believe this would become a more viable design compared to the traditional DSLR with OVF and phase-detect focusing. Supposedly, the on-sensor focus technology shows some promise but have not read up on it enough to understand it. Mirrorless features are going to be more and more incorporated into DSLR designs as it becomes cost-effective. I don't believe it is one or the other, I think it is much more organic and symbiotic. Or, perhaps more like a fungus or growth taking over very slowly. Whichever analogy you like....

I would just add to my original post that although I'm still not a fan of the aesthetics, it does look, IMO, about 100% better with a DA or, preferably an FA Ltd. lens on it rather than the little 40 that "goes" with it. If I had seen it with one of these lenses previously, I wouldn't have been so turned off by it.
12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I would just add to my original post that although I'm still not a fan of the aesthetics, it does look, IMO, about 100% better with a DA or, preferably an FA Ltd. lens on it rather than the little 40 that "goes" with it. If I had seen it with one of these lenses previously, I wouldn't have been so turned off by it.
I read an interview with the design team that (if machine translation can be trusted) pretty much said what I suspected: The XS lens was intended to get the overall package down to the size of other mirrorless cameras. Since the K-mount requires about an inch more in flange focal distance, it's just not a fight the K-01 can win. I agree that the K-01 looks better with small lenses like Limiteds or short Ms, which seem to suit its future-retro look.

12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Been away for a long time...... Forgive me if what i'm about to post has already been brought up in this thread.....

Bought the Q via the shopNBC special
I'm still wondering what Pentax's strategy is with regardless to Mirrorless (MILC) but for me $250 compelled me to vote for one - however, the iPhone, iPad mini, and any other camera phone looks to be a good value proposition.

I believe for any photo capture device one has to look at what else is out there in the market including camera phones (Nokia, iPhone, etc....). For any mfg to compete they truly have to look at the addressable market for such a device.

I still wish the K MILC be similar to the EOS-M - that is a new lens to sensor distance (ie smaller than an SLR) with an adapter for legacy lenses. I can't find the thread but recall that prior to the Q or rather NC-1, someone (johnflores maybe?) pointed out the feasibility of making a body with a short registration distance and a K-mount adapter for DA/FA lenses. Body would be compact, new lens family that is compact This would still entail making an investment in new lenses however at least these new lenses would be optimized for compactness while the legacy lenses could still be utlized albeit via an adapter.

Maybe Pentax had in mind with K-01 to eventually release it as a FF as an option since it uses the K-mount registration distance?

12-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #155
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If readers here want to voice their desires for a successive camera model in this poll, it may be a useful tool for Pentax to see what Pentaxians really want from them.
12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I believe for any photo capture device one has to look at what else is out there in the market including camera phones (Nokia, iPhone, etc....). For any mfg to compete they truly have to look at the addressable market for such a device.
Phones are great for capturing informal pics, but they're really not that different from inexpensive, limited cameras of the past. Pentax's mirrorless cameras are for those who want more than a fixed, ultra wide angle lens camera with little to no control.