Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #31
Inactive Account

I have a K-01 on order, due to arrive next week. I guess that officially makes me a Pentaxian. I've been mulling over getting a large sensor cam for some time now but nothing had compelled me to make the jump until the K-01 dropped so much in price. That and I was waiting for the new version of the K5 to come out to see if it would be worth spending the extra $$.

So why K-01? I thought it would be a good way to dip my toes into Pentax waters and maybe next year pick up a couple lenses while waiting to see what fruit the Ricoh/Pentax marriage brings. A nearly identical sensor to the K5 is another reason. I'll actually have to use the thing for a while to get a feel for it's design and ergonomics but I don't think it will be much of a problem. And it sounds like the new firmware fixes most of the AF and other glitches so I finally came off the fence.

It was also heartening to hear some people remark that it reminds them of the K1000. The first SLR I ever got to use was a K1000 in yearbook class back in the early 90's. Slap an older manual focus lens on the K-01 and I suppose it will be like "coming home" for me.

Can't wait for my present to show up on my doorstep!

12-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A second body to my K5 which works very well with the Pentax primes I have already, excellent image quality at a bargain price, and easier than a DSLR for trips and travel away from home. The K-01 attracts less interest than a DSLR when I use it for street photography which is helpful. I'm not wild about the design but the flat surfaces mean that the K-01 can be set on a ledge for long exposures which is useful inside churches and the like. I'm not keen on the extent to which RAW shooting has been compromised by the slow processing engine and WR would have been great. Focusing isn't that fast but with a bit of care I haven't found this a shot-losing problem. Overall, though, the K-01 has been a success for me and did I mention its bargain price? If Pentax produce a mk II version with beefier specs I'd be up for it. Size is not an issue for me: if I want small I use my iPhone but for all else I want the quality of an APS-C sensor with the lenses I love (and a big battery helps too).
12-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got it because my current m4/e bodies weren't all that pocketable with a non pancake lens on them. This prevents the need for a second line of quality lenses since the DA ltd and FA ltd series etc. will work on them. That solves the needing Oly 12, 45mm etc. for the m4/3 bodies. I also like the K-01 better for using my manual focus K-mount lenses on such as the A 50/1.2 and K28/2.
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Forum Member

Getting the K-01 kept me from getting a K-5II ... for now.

I use my K-5 primarily and have a K-20 that comes along if I'll be somewhere where it's more handy to have a 2nd camera with a different lens than having time to stop and change lens. Usually the 28-75 is on the K-5, and 10-24 is on the K-20 (or long zoom, depending on situation). Anyway, last time I traveled with both I was completely frustrated with bringing 2 sets of extra batteries, 2 sets of chargers, etc. Add in chargers for phones and a point & shoot and we practically had a bag full support gear for the electronics. So I swore I would get another K-5 before the next big trip so they could at least share batteries/chargers. Then the K-5II came out and I was intrigued by the improved focus. Or maybe even the IIs for the resolution. But that meant spending real money again instead of the falling K-5 price.

Anyway, so when the K-01 price dropped so significantly, I thought hmmm, same battery, same sensor, uses same lenses, 1/2 price of K-5 or 1/3 price or K-5II without losing much quality ... give it a go! I lose the viewfinder, but if it gets used primarily with the wide angle lens, I tend to use it from obscure angles a lot so maybe I won't always miss it. I never did like how it looked. And after seeing it in person for the first time when it arrived yesterday, I still don't. But I think that's because I prefer functionality over aesthetics. Yes, it looks cool in a graphic design sense, but I wish using it felt more natural. But since the menus buttons are similar enough to K-5, it's not too bad. At least w/o a viewfinder you have to look at the back anyway, So it's not as awkward to hunt for the random button locations than if you were trying to do it w/o removing it from your eye.

We'll see how I like it for day to day things locally. Bringing the -5 and -20 isn't a big deal when you don't have to pack everything else. Hopefully it will eventually replace the K-20 and I can sell that one. But that will just take using it and figuring out how much I like it.

Here's my "Note to Pentax" ... include 'plug in straight to the wall' chargers instead of bulky chargers with cords! Then we don't have to go buy third party travel chargers for everything.

12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my first K-01 for the small size and because the shutter is quieter than a dSLR, which sometimes draws unwanted attention. Also, to spite all the reviewers slamming it for daring to be different. To my surprise, I found I really enjoyed shooting one-handed without being tied to the viewfinder. Then something, uh, bad happened. While the Brick sat in 'Parts on Order' and I went into withdrawal, the price plummeted. Soooo...
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I had dismissed the $700+ K-01 but read all the reviews as it approached $500. Once the first wave of $346 were gone I got very apprehensive, recalling the Sony A700 selloff that I missed in 2008 -- so when next batch came in (I paid $334) it was too much to bear. Any sub-$350 camera with the sweet-16 sensor will have my rapt attention and focus peaking was one of the few items I'd regret if my K-5 lasts me a few more camera generations. The video and interval movie might get some use, but even if it's not entirely a perfect fit (and hey it might be) it'll serve me well. It also will show me what features are 'vital' in truth and not just in my mind and hopefully I will learn some new things - that's always good!
12-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I want a K-01, but the question for me is, "Why do I need a K-01?".

Maybe reading through these replies, I can come up with some reasons to justify why I should get one.
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
"Why do I need a K-01?"
Because:

- until you actually use one, you won't really know
- you enjoy people looking at your camera with a puzzled, amused expression
- optical viewfinders are weird and complicated - and they don't really show you what the sensor is seeing
- you like the Green Button, but you always thought there should be a Red Button, too
- you park on hills a lot, and need a camera that can be used as a wheel chock in a pinch
- all the cool kids are getting one for Christmas!

12-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
Forum Member

I have a white body comming Friday from B&H. The price at $316, was to good to pass up. I was looking to upgrade from my K-200D and this was the cheapest option. The focus peaking was an option that I was looking for and the better low light performance was a plus. I looked at the K-30 but just could not justify the $700 price tag.

Rick
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #40
Site Supporter

For me the K-01 was the cheapest option to get this sensor. I currently have a K-7, but I want the better IQ and ISO performance. I was waiting for the new DSLR announcement, but found the K-5II/IIs was not worth the ~$450 premium over the K-5. So I was think about get a K-5 then the K-01 price dropped through the floor. For me, it was a bargain for the sensor and figured it would hold me over until the K-5 II replacement comes out. I also liked that the K-01 had focus peaking and better video. I do miss some the DSLR features; I think the second dial is what I miss the most. I really have not missed the optical view finder; I find it actually easier to compose using the screen. The K-01 has become my primary camera body and I am even considering selling the K-7. I would highly recommend it, plus the 40mm lens is an awesome value at $100.
12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #41
Pentaxian

It was cheap,
I wanted to try the focus peaking,
good backup for a K-5 IMO,
one can't have too many camera bodies... and lenses as well.
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #42

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wenz Quote
plus the 40mm lens is an awesome value at $100.
I actually dumped my 40mm kit lens when I realized that they were selling for $180+. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get an additional $80 off my $316 camera
12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahem.
I just bought a DA*300 and because of the B&H recent pricing/discounting, I got a K-01 and 40mm XS for FREE - and I saved $100. At least thats how it would have worked out if I had bought them a few weeks ago, and how the prices may go after the Holiday season!

P.S. The husband's new interview suits seem to be working.
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
Forum Member

Main reasons.

1. High quality sensor.
2. Had a Pentax DA SMC 18-55mm lense sitting around.
3. Value. Got the K-01 and the 40mm pancake lens for around $400.
12-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #45

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
The appeal to me would be a reduction in size. But the K-01 looks like if offers little in reduction over the dslr. Any other benefits to the K-01?

Thanks
I purchased my K-01 with kit lens at launch for $899. Less than 1 year has passed and this exact kit can be purchased for $299 today on Groupon. Sacrificing $600 and a K10D for the K-01 is one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I rarely use the K-01 and regret buying it every time I use it. I need a viewfinder.