Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have been thinking about upgrading from K20 - wanted better high ISO performance and lighter weight.
At the low price could not resist a couple of months ago. Initially decided to try it out and see if I want to keep it.
I am so impressed with it that I had not touched the K20 since, and two weeks ago, sold the K20.
Wit new firmware it focuses just as fast as K20 did, and is also more accurate.
Contrast detect is not effected by bask/front focus issues.
My yellow brick is definitely a keeper - perfectly matched to the prime lenses, and smaller zooms.

01-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I'd like to hand hold one .... but there's no shop in Sydney (apart from maybe one city store ... and I can't get in there easily) that has one in stock to look at at least. Poor really.

I am tempted to just get one of the last $299 deal ones .... they will be gone soon at that price .... but i might just get one and bite the bullet ... sight unseen.
Camera Warehouse at Canterbury.

Bizarre pricing situation where the black K-01 body is $298 while the K-01 + 40mm XS kit is $779 - which makes the lens $484!!
01-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Here's a few reasons (ordered last week, will be here soon I hope):

- current price just too good to pass up

- focus peaking

- it could put people at ease because of the toy-like appearance.
I bought a white K-01 with XS 40. The above are my reasons, particularly the last one. Many people are uncomfortable when you lift a camera to your eye. Raising an arm and firing is a lot more casual. I was looking at advanced compacts for this use, but at current pricing the K-01 is cheaper and far more capable. Sure, a compact is smaller, but I'd still use a belt case. I don't even like carrying my BlackBerry in my pocket. (PS A mobile phone is a wretched excuse for a camera).

I have a K20D, which I often use with battery grip, and a white K-x. I consider my K-x small, and the K-01 is smaller, so that's good enough for me. I'll be using a waist pack (AKA belt pack, fanny pack). It fits the K-x and DA 40, but the camera is clumsy to insert and extract due to the projecting grip and flash, especially since I added an O-ME53 magnifier. The K-01 will be much more wieldy. The belt pack also allows me to carry the DA 15mm or Raynox adapter, so it's a nice grab 'n go kit.
01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- video (where 24p, manual exposure and full-time LCD viewing make the K-01 a much better choice than my K5.)
- great for manual focus lenses
- landscape, where using the LCD is like using a groundglass
- backup for my K5 at events (replacing an aging *ist DS)
- use at concerts and places where DSLRs aren't welcome (but smaller cameras and lenses are)

01-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #65

I just bought one - the price was hard to resist (299) body only. I have a ton of M42 and K mount lenses (around 50) and having the stabilization in the body was huge. I do videos for a living and there are times I need to do some run and gun shooting - this may make getting some shots I need easier. I also enjoy photography and having nothing but MF lenses, the K-01 seems easier to get a 'good shot" with less efort. I also own a mark 2, t3i and t2i, I have split focus on my t3i as well as the magic lantern hacks but it seems easier to focus with the pentax. I didnt bother buying a kit lens - I threw an old pentax smc 50mm 1.4 on and the first few shots I took confirmed why I bought it - right of the camera, no post whatsover -the shots I captured impressed me - Here was a quick one I took of my daughter after soccer - 1600 iso
Attached Images

01-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
The appeal to me would be a reduction in size. But the K-01 looks like if offers little in reduction over the dslr. Any other benefits to the K-01?

Thanks
I just bought it for the price but since playing around with it I really really like it.
Focus peaking, general balance - especially with smaller lenses (DA 10 - 17) and manual focus lenses like the Voigtlander 40 and 58mm lenses.
I seem to be shooting in manual mode with focus peaking permanently (at least in shade or inside).
It is handy to pop it into your photographers vest (Domke for me - no not donkey). It doesn't seem to catch on things like my K7.
Overall it is just funky and fun. Good street camera.
01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I got it because ... it was a love story ...

01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
1. Only mirrorless so far to be able to use full size lens' without an adapter.
2. Not all mirrorless have the hotshoe availability.
3. Manual focusing-peaking of the K-01. I was suprised not to see this on the new K-30, but expect to see it on a majority of all new Pentax cameras.
4. In camera SR as opposed to needing to have it on the lens as an option; so now most every lens has SR.
I was immediately struck by the beautiful design, especially clad in the black rubber.

Promise of the sensor and Prime M imaging engine.

All of the above when I tried to think rationally.

I have quite literally abandoned all my other cameras - film and digital since I got the K-01.
01-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
have quite literally abandoned all my other cameras - film and digital since I got the K-01
So if you happen to be unloading (selling or even donating) items such as the LX, please be sure to clue some of us in on it. Btw which finder and screens do you have for the LX?
01-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
So if you happen to be unloading (selling or even donating) items such as the LX, please be sure to clue some of us in on it. Btw which finder and screens do you have for the LX?
Yep - will be selling in the Marketplace. LX = FA-1 FB-1/FC-1 and FE-1.
01-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #71
Veteran Member

So, what of the flappy rubber door?

Opinions please
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #72

I chose the K-01 because its the bestez pentax ever. (that I could afford at the time)

Last edited by Salagubang; 01-30-2013 at 05:26 AM.
01-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote

Opinions please
No biggie. Complaints are based on supposition.
01-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote

Opinions please
It's easy to open and a bit fiddly to close. Other than that, I never notice it.
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #75

A deal to good to pass up

I wasn't in the market for a new camera, since I was rather content with my K20D. Despite it's limitation in low light, I held onto my second hand k20d building up a lens collection that suited my shooting style along the way. Despite my desire to possess a "newer" camera, my budget could not accommodate the purchase of a k5, k5II. or even a k30. With the recent k-01 price drop, i decided to pull the trigger and purchase a "new" camera body with rather stellar sensor specs to use with my existing lens collection. The last time i bought a new non second hand camera was in 2007 when I purchased an Olympus Tough Cam. I'm rather excited to say the least, giddy and full of butterflies. Despite all the cons that have been posted and reiterated, here and on DPR, I feel this camera will suit my needs as a casual "art" and "travel" photographer. Can't wait to take my K-01 out for a spin. I guess I have to sell my beloved K20D to make the bite to the pocket book a little less painful.

Last edited by digitallymike; 02-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.