Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine's on it way. I've been contemplating getting a second-hand k-5 for some time, since I often find myself taking low light landscapes while out hiking with my k-7, but the prospect of that sensor in a small, lightweight body at that price, with a lens..... no-brainer. I also have a few manual focus lenses but focusing them is hard in the little k-7 viewfinder. Also, as much as I love my k-7 and will miss it if I decide to recoup the cost of the k-01, I find I'm taking it with me less and less. Hopefully the smallness of the k01 and to no small degree, the 'new toy syndrome' will get me out with camera in hand. and when I eventually upgrade to a k5, it's a nice backup body.
what I'm worried about is: I use my 55-300 a lot, and the k01 doesn't jive; weather sealing/ruggedness; battery life half that of the k7; burst rate. the only other thing I'm worried about is it's going to make me want to get the limited lenses..... I need to stay off PF for a while.

02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
what I'm worried about is: I use my 55-300 a lot, and the k01 doesn't jive
What's the problem with the 55-300mm on the K-01?
02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Just going off what I've read, that the k01 isn't great with telephoto. Won't know for sure till it gets in my little paws.
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The two "issues" with the K-01 and long teles: CDAF can be slow, so you may have a lot of grind-grind-grind especially if the lens has a long focus throw (same as trying to use a tele with LiveView on dSLRs), and the small grip can be awkward with a long lens (moot point if it's tripod mounted). Your Mileage May Vary.

02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #80

Photos: Albums
After several flybys, just landed this great forum! Why? Love its design and features, specially focus peaking and IQ. The pigeon arrived today and testing some MF. This my first Pentax camera and after some shots I'm quite satisfied about the outputs.
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by instantes Quote
After several flybys, just landed this great forum! Why? Love its design and features, specially focus peaking and IQ. The pigeon arrived today and testing some MF. This my first Pentax camera and after some shots I'm quite satisfied about the outputs.
Bem-vindo a Pentax Forums!
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #82

No extensive testing of the K-01 with telephoto, but I do have one experience to share. I shot with the 55-300 on the K-01 for the first time about a month ago. It was at an outdoor event, on an overcast winter day. I was shooting over a crowd, with placards and boom mikes obstructing part of the view. With centre point autofocus and a bit of care, I had no issue with getting focus lock and sharp images of individual speakers although they were quite distant. A satisfying experience. Once or twice there was some hunting, but the 55-300 can hunt on the K-5 too, and whatever I experienced didn't seem exceptional, nor did it cause more than a hiccup in getting the shots I needed.

Just going off what I've read, that the k01 isn't great with telephoto. Won't know for sure till it gets in my little paws.
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

I bought one for my gf when they became cheap, now I love it and she is at risk of losing it lol.

02-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Bem-vindo a Pentax Forums!
Obrigado! Julgo que é início de uma bela amizade.
Thank you! I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship
02-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by instantes Quote
Obrigado! Julgo que é início de uma bela amizade.
Thank you! I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship
Eu certamente espero que sim!
02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
whatever I experienced didn't seem exceptional, nor did it cause more than a hiccup in getting the shots I needed.
good to know, thanks for the input. I'm guessing at the very least it'll look funny.

QuoteQuote:
Your Mileage May Vary.

reminds me of GS....
02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #87
Banned

what I've read, that the k01 isn't great with telephoto
That part of the quote is not accurate. The K-01 works quite effectively with telephoto's; although it does have a notable (but adaptable) issue once aperature drop below about f5.0 on the best available aperature. So if you haappen to have a lens that goes below that (strictly for use as an example); an 80-600mm f4.0-f5.6... Then when zooming and also when about the aperature reaches at f5.0 then one "might" have to adapt to it
02-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
That part of the quote is not accurate. The K-01 works quite effectively with telephoto's; although it does have a notable (but adaptable) issue once aperature drop below about f5.0 on the best available aperature. So if you haappen to have a lens that goes below that (strictly for use as an example); an 80-600mm f4.0-f5.6... Then when zooming and also when about the aperature reaches at f5.0 then one "might" have to adapt to it
Hmmm, I've read that people have had trouble with the K-01 and 70-200/2.8 combo. I have one of each but haven't tried them together yet, but if that is an issue that would argue against your f5.0 aperture being the factor.
02-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #89

I have been debating the K-01 for a while now, and the recent price drop sold me. I just got it and I am impressed with it's abilities so far, but I learned not to wear a light colored shirt while shooting it in bright sunlight.
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Pulled the trigger on a black K-01 body today.
Should arrive sometime this week...