Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I placed an order for one, because I wanted the DA40XS lens and a Original Pentax battery and charge for my K5.

02-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #92

Photos: Gallery
I bought a K-30 with the 18-55WR kit in the middle of December. I was choosing between the K-01 and the K-30 back then.
I have a few DA lenses and 4 or 5 legacy lenses inherited from my dad.
Picked up a new K-01 with the 40mm pancake yesterday because it would have been wrong not to get it for the price it is at now.
Plus, it seems to be getting hard to find them as they are disappearing from shelves.
I love this camera.
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #93
Pentaxian

It was cheap.

Seriously though, dick smith was selling them for $299 for body only.

I'd already told my neighbour to buy one and i'd sell her some of my lenses to go with it so she could save some dosh

I was going to stay strong as i had no reason to get one, already owning a k100d and a kx. but then I accidently smashed the evf on my kx. *sigh*

The kx still works but i told myself i needed something 'new'.

I ended up buying it online, sight unseen, only vaguely recall reading bits and pieces about it being mentioned on the forum early last year.

Having just had a new addition to the family a few days prior, I ended up getting it, telling myself it was a 'treat' to myself for all my hard work/Christmas.

And to be honest, the camera's only going to be used to take photos of the bubs. So, really it was for her... uhuh
02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Yeh, I pulled the trigger on one because of the price drop and because it's a PENTAX.
As ugly as it is, I've seen some great results from people who already have one and I've read so much positive feedback that I felt I should become a brick layer too

Even though I won't get delivery yet for a few days, my biggest concern is that I already hate the rubber flappy acces door! Mark Newson's design is totally impracticable in this regard.

02-11-2013, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Woah!! It arrived already!
Endorsement for DigiDirect (australia).
Two days to get to me from Sydney is almost unheard of!

Meet the family
(Sorry about the mobilephone pic)

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Woah!! It arrived already!
Endorsement for DigiDirect (australia).)

Hey, nice find, they are right under my nose and I didnt know!

02-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Yeh, I pulled the trigger on one because of the price drop and because it's a PENTAX.
As ugly as it is, I've seen some great results from people who already have one and I've read so much positive feedback that I felt I should become a brick layer too

Even though I won't get delivery yet for a few days, my biggest concern is that I already hate the rubber flappy acces door! Mark Newson's design is totally impracticable in this regard.
yeah i was never going to buy 'outside of the family'

it's funny how everyone refers to it as the brick. that was the first thought in my head and what i referred to it too once i got it in my paws.

i miss the ergonomic hold that's on my k100d and kx - it takes a bit of getting used to just wrapping hands around a brick. but i've fallen back into using an evf (i used a p&s for ages before i jumped onto the dslr bandwagon) and i've caught myself a few times grabbing a dslr and looking through the evf and wondering why all i see is black?!

the focus peaking takes a bit of getting used to. am using it on my little girl and i've had as many hits as misses. yet i've managed some lucky hits with it on a teeny weeny bug using a fast fifty. go figure.
02-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

Oddly, I've found the K-01's lack of ergonomics to be a plus. I've got an old injury to a finger that gives me trouble sometimes, particularly after holding a DSLR for hours. It doesn't seem to mind the K-01 as much. Also, there are about a half-dozen different ways to hold a K-01, where there really is only one way to hold a DSLR with a sculpted grip. In the same vein, some have said that the K-01 is easier to use wearing gloves (I haven't tested that yet). Sometimes, a less optimized/specialized design makes for a more flexible design.

02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Get the biggest EyeFi "pro" card you can find, and you'll never need to open the flap

At least, that's how it works for me on the Q and K-01, I think I opened the SD slot cover exactly once on each, and never use those other plugs hiding under there...
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #100
Pentaxian

I have an EyeFi Pro. I find them almost useless, I do not like being tied to an account at EyeFi in order to use it. And the 'Q' doesn't like it.
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I have an EyeFi Pro. I find them almost useless, I do not like being tied to an account at EyeFi in order to use it. And the 'Q' doesn't like it.
Really? I use my EyeFi in the Q, with no problems.

Other than for set-up, nothing transits the EyeFi servers (although, yes, I too would prefer not to be tied to them)
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Yep, all other cameras have no problem with it, but the Q gives a 'Memory Card Error' 90% of the time.

Chinavasion have a wifi card that might be worth trying, which is not tied up.

QuoteQuote:
This WiFi SD card is capable of instantly transferring your pictures from your DSLR or Digital Camera to your PC, Phone or Tablet. Simply insert the wireless SD card into your digital camera, turn on the WiFi receiver on your Phone, Tablet or PC and connect to the WiFi signal the wireless SD card emits. There is no need for setting up a network and you donít even have to be around an existing WiFi hotspot, the SD card creates its own network. On top of that, being a Class 10 card, write and read speeds are lightning fast providing an extra smooth file transfer.

Not requiring extra software to function, this wireless SD card is a true Plug and Play card! A maximum of 5 users can access the WiFi hotspot at any given time to transfer JPEG files as well as AVI, MP4 and MOV video files. Also most popular browsers can be used to establish a wireless connection such as Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera and Google Chrome.
Wholesale 8GB WiFi SD Card - Wireless SDHC Card From China
02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #103
Pentaxian

That rubber sd card flap- was there no testing done or what? I've had my k-01 for a day, and I can't get it to close. Do I have to resort to duct tape already?
Other than that, I love my new k01 and 40xs. bye bye k-7.
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
That rubber sd card flap- was there no testing done or what? I've had my k-01 for a day, and I can't get it to close. Do I have to resort to duct tape already?
Other than that, I love my new k01 and 40xs. bye bye k-7.
There's a trick to the rubber door. Don't try to push it in from the side; slide it in from the rear. Once you get the hang of it, it's not nearly as annoying (but I think we all wish they had done a more traditional 'door').
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
There's a trick to the rubber door. Don't try to push it in from the side; slide it in from the rear. Once you get the hang of it, it's not nearly as annoying (but I think we all wish they had done a more traditional 'door').
Amen to that.