Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very happy with my k-5 and it is honestly underutilized by a lot, but I just ordered one with the pancake on a whim. I don't really need a backup as I ahve a mint k-10 yet which still has more keeper photos under its belt than the k-5 (operator fault). The thing never did excite me when launched, but I was a bit amazed to see how far they've dropped in price.

1. well, it is cheap now and if I decide it doesn't trip my trigger, I shouldn't be out much.
2. I wanted to see what this focus peaking is all about.
3. My family gets nervous whenever the dslr gets pulled out for candid shots.
4. Should be an excellent body cap capable of capturing light for my SMC 1000mm.
5. Can hand to someone to take a photo with it and won't embarass them when they hold it way out in front of them when I tell them they need to hold it up to their eye.
6. battery interchanges with k-5 and I'll half as likely to not be able to find a charger.
7. may be just compact enough that it will be with me more often than my dslr's manage to be.
8. like the DA 40mm a lot, so for $60, i couldn't pass up having a second, even smaller version of it for this body. If i feel redundant having both, I won't loose money there letting go of one.
9. all the cool kids seem to be jumping on the bandwagon all of a sudden with this price point and I couldn't miss out.
10. coming up with nearly 10 reasons pretty quickly seemed like justification for spur of the moment spending despite what my last credit card statment looked like

02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
-Cheap
-A K-5 without all the bits that make it a big camera
-A K-5 sensor at half the price (or less) of a K-5
-Should be disarming to subjects since you're not using it in the "professional" manner of raising it to your eye
-Using Live View and manual focus in the dark anyway

So it fits in perfectly, for me, between the K-5 and the Q. K-5 for heavy lenses and holding onto for a long time and when I want a viewfinder, K-01 when I want K-5 image quality when points 2-5 above are true, Q for ultra-compactness (and ultra telephoto).
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
9. all the cool kids seem to be jumping on the bandwagon all of a sudden with this price point and I couldn't miss out
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Today, for the first time I came across a person that knew who Marc Newson was, and no he is not into Pentax.

02-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Today, for the first time I came across a person that knew who Marc Newson was, and no he is not into Pentax.
Old school chum eh?
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #126
Veteran Member

It was a cheap way to do a major tech refresh from my *ist DS
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
It was a cheap way to do a major tech refresh from my *ist DS

Until you find how useless it is outside in bright light and full sun.
Keep the *istDS.
02-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #128

Assuming Amazon ever charges my card and delivers it I bought a K-01 because I couldn't decide which dSLR to get and was leaning towards a K-30. I was going to wait till mid Feb or later anyways but when I saw $315 for a cool looking ILC with an ASP-C sensor AND a 40mm f/2.8 prime lens I went for it. That is "toy money" and I figured I could get my feet wet and still afford to "upgrade" camera body and lenses later. I wasn't set on any particular brand/manufacturer but the low price (and legacy lens compatibility) convinced me to try Pentax .

02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

So far the two things I've found I can do with a dSLR that I CAN'T do with a K-01 or Q are
  1. take a photo with the late afternoon sun striking the LCD from the side, at what amounts to a very shallow angle. And even then the sun would shine in the corner of my eye and bother me.
  2. Take a picture with a heavy lens longer than 200mm, which is moot since I don't have any.

Each is maybe once a year. Maybe. And a hat held in my hand sort of solves the problem anyway. And I have a dSLR for those times.
02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a dSLR for those times.
Exactly !

The K-01 looks different, cost a hell of lot less and IS different to a dSLR.
Use it where you wouldn't use your dSLR. It's a compliment to and not a replacement for a good dSLR imho.
(It's also a nice toy for PENTAX'o'Philes )
02-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Exactly !
Yeppers!!
02-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #132
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Focus peaking is fun. I've enjoyed it for macro and for static subjects with manual focus. It has also been a good check on whether lens issues were focus issues. The size is also nice for the waist pack when jogging, and it slips more easily into my main camera bag as a backup. Other than that, I think my first choice will still be a DSLR after the novelty of the K-01 wears off.

Actually, there is not too much I couldn't do just as well with a K30--except have another $550 in my pocket.
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Focus peaking is fun. I've enjoyed it for macro and for static subjects with manual focus. It has also been a good check on whether lens issues were focus issues. The size is also nice for the waist pack when jogging, and it slips more easily into my main camera bag as a backup. Other than that, I think my first choice will still be a DSLR after the novelty of the K-01 wears off.

Actually, there is not too much I couldn't do just as well with a K30--except have another $550 in my pocket.
The biggest advantage for me is the reason I considered buying the K-01 in the first place - the quiet shutter. The K-30's "sonic boom" (not my term - I don't think it's that bad ) does attract attention in quiet places. I prefer the K-30 for anything that might involve moving targets or big glass. The K-01 has got me one-handing more than I ever did before. With the 'thirty, it would be only be when I had to - it just doesn't feel comfortable for one-handed use. I know, I'm weird...
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The biggest advantage for me is the reason I considered buying the K-01 in the first place - the quiet shutter.
Agreed -- I love the stealth nature of my K-01, when combined with a silent-focusing lens like DA 18-135 or Sigma 50-150 HSM. I can fire the shutter and nobody notices!
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #135
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The biggest advantage for me is the reason I considered buying the K-01 in the first place - the quiet shutter. The K-30's "sonic boom" (not my term - I don't think it's that bad ) does attract attention in quiet places. I prefer the K-30 for anything that might involve moving targets or big glass. The K-01 has got me one-handing more than I ever did before. With the 'thirty, it would be only be when I had to - it just doesn't feel comfortable for one-handed use. I know, I'm weird...
I have the $550 instead of the K30, so I can't compare that one. However, I don't see the difference in shutter noise to be that huge compared to, say, a K20d, and it is even less different from the K-5. (Both of those have a batt grip, and the extra mass may help) I actually thought the K-01 would be quieter than it is. But then many don't see the AF noise on screw drive lenses to be as much an issue as I do, either, so YMMV.