Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Size can't be that important to go K-01. Even a NEX is big with a lens attached to it
One reason I am not as concerned about the fact that it does not have its own mirrorless lenses. I wonder how much the difference in depth would matter to most people. The mini replica of the pentamirror-lump on the top is more troubling.

08-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Hello,
I took one for general use with two advantages over the K-5 that i keep along with me too : better performance in video mode ; larger autofocus covered area.
Plus the opportunity i had to find one in France at approximatively 500 USD, new with the DA 40 XS
08-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Plus the opportunity i had to find one in France at approximatively 500 USD, new with the DA 40 XS
rub it in

08-12-2012, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Ja voll !

08-12-2012, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Banned

Hey that is the Silver 40mmxs lens!
08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
Why I choose the K-01:

As a second body - When going to take pictures with my wife we kept taking turns on our K-r and that can be annoying and also meant loosing some good shots
Size - While not a P&S it is smaller than the K-r, that plus a small prime (the 40mm XS and the 21mm in my case) and you get a great package. With that I can just leave the camera at my wife's purse and not have that "I wish i had a camera" moment
IQ - It's better than the K-r, which is already very good
Lens - No need to get a new system and new lens just for it.
Focus Peaking - For MF this is an awesome tool: YouTube - PENTAX K-01: Focus Peaking

All and all I'm very happy with it. It fits my needs and I get the most important thing: great IQ
Ditto for me.
08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Banned

A client technically asked for it; so - I finally did pat of a wedding with a Pentax K-01.

The truly good moments were shot with a Hasselblad H4 with the 50mp setting along with a metz. Over one hunded informal shots were taken with the K-01; switchng between the P540 flash and unfortunately the need to have a different dedicated potato smasher Metz. But also even something the K-01 can do; but the Hasselblad cannot - video.

On the K-01 used entirely manual settings - even the color chart ones. It makes me wish that every camera had focus peaking. I'm suprised that Pentax isn't marketing (basically selling out) this technology to others.

08-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

On the K-01 used entirely manual settings - even the color chart ones. It makes me wish that every camera had focus peaking. I'm suprised that Pentax isn't marketing (basically selling out) this technology to others.
other brands have focus peaking also though, like the sony mirrorless cameras, theres is a tad better too, they have one color for in focus and one for out of focus. But I remember reading somewhere that you cant have a mirror in place to have focus peaking, but pentax has a mirror in the K-30 right? So I'm guessing pentax figured something out other people didnt, or ricoh for that matter, as ricoh had focus peaking on its GXR...

But... to stay on topic, I wanted to start building a digital K-Mount kit and needed a body to start out with, the K-01 fit the bill... Just a student so I do not need hardcore pro gear...
11-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Size can't be that important to go K-01. Even a NEX is big with a lens attached to it
After using an NEX, I have to agree with this...

I'm looking for balance in a camera, not just small size. The NEX doesn't handle as well as one would hope. I've never touched a K 01, but ordered one today, largely because I couldn't pass up today's Black Friday deals at Adorama - got it shipped with the 40 XS for $417. I'm hoping to find a nice balanced camera for shooting video (primarily).

As for the K01's size vs a DSLR, I chose to go mirrorless because I largely use manual lenses and don't care for the small viewfinders of DSLRs (even FF DSLRs like the ones Canon offers feel cramped compared to my MX and ME Super). Also, as said, I purchased the K 01 primarily for video usage.
11-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason I bought it was that I thought it was dirt cheap at $350.
11-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I flip-flopped between a Q and the K-01 for a few weeks. My wife had gotten a Q and I really liked it. I had been looking for a "carry every day" camera and the Q seemed to fit the bill really well. But after using it for a few days and thinking about things, I opted for the K-01. I gave up a lot in size in choosing the K-01 over the Q, but I gained better video, better IQ, and the ability to keep using all my lenses w/o an adapter. I've been really happy with it so far. The K-01 has dropped into a place in my kit that used to be filled by several cameras in the film days. It's my P&S camera, my video camera, my wide-angle lens camera, and my high-ISO camera. It has even given my main DSLR...a K10D...a new lease on life. I love my K10D at 100 ISO, but rarely push it past about 400 ISO because of the noise. Due to that, I had been thinking about replacing it with a K5. The K-01 gave me the low-light capability of the K5 at a fraction of the price. Eventually, I'll get a new DSLR to replace my K10D...but buying the K-01 has given me a lot of breathing room for that decision.
11-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #27

I liked the he low price for the K5 sensor and the focus peaking for KA lenses
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #28

Because of the price!!!

I just ordered one after the price drop to 350ish. I laready have an old DL and a K7. The K7 really maxes out at 800 ISO for my tastes and was looking for something with a bit more ISO room for natural light photos. I'm not a rapid speed shutter guy and not autofocus dependant . I also like to set my zooms to 18mm or 16mm and hang the camera out there at arms length and see what i can get. I frequently find I'm on the edge of the action and the camera is far away from my eye at odd heights where my body really cant get to, so an optical VF isnt necessary to some of my shooting. So many of the publicized drawbacks, lack of VF, slow AF and slow RAW are not deal breakers for me. The K-01 advantages are somting i'm looking for. Manual video controls, better ISO and uses existing Pentax Llenses. I could get a new K5II but I'm willing to wait for another generation before i upgrade my still great K7 and the lower price of the K-01 right now means i get a better sensor but not have to buy a full out camera at full price.

I really feel in natural light and close quarters this camera will meet my needs and compliment my K7 AND existing Pentax mount lenses (15+). It hasn't arrived yet but I'll try to update after I shoot for a while. soooo my intention is to add a fairly fast wide angle go to town. I've got a older Sigma 28 mini wide and a Zenitar 16mm along with the sigma 30 1.4 and the orginal 16-55 kit lens. We'll see what combo works ..... but now I've been eyeing Pentax 15 2.8 .... maybe i can justify that purcahse with the money i saved.
11-27-2012, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Been exclusively a Canon shooter for the few on and off moments in my life that I had time to enjoy photography (learned on a film Rebel back in High School). So I had strong feelings of loyalty towards Canon. Ended up buying a Canon T3i in July for my brother and I to use for conventions and for occasional Youtube videos. Loved the camera and everything that it had to offer but noticed that he was kind of hogging it so started looking at getting a second body. Then I got really jazzed for the EOS M when it was first announced and started patiently waiting and waiting and waiting....

Since I had so much time I started researching other mirrorless cameras. At first it was just to be aware of what was out there and then it slowly became about possibly trying another brand. Looked at the Pen series from Olympus, GH series from Panasonic, hate Sony so the NEX series was out of the question, and Fuji was way too expensive although I like their retro stylings, and then finally Pentax. Just fell in love with the idea of having so many fairly affordable lenses to choose from that I could then also use on a proper Pentax DSLR in the future (blue K30 = AWESOME!). I wasn't initially too thrilled with K-01 design but over time and hours of research the idea of having something totally different from all the other cameras available really started to appeal to me. Then the price drops started happening and it was a no-brainer. Also the constant delays (here in the US anyway) for the EOS M, fairly negative reviews, and high price were all deciding factors as well.

Not to mention the more I learn about and immerse myself into the world of Pentax the stronger I feel that I made the right choice (this forum and it's supportive members being a huge part of that!). I feel that Pentax in general is totally worthy of my support/new-found loyalty and with them being the real underdogs in the market they definitely need vocal supporters especially here in the US.

For anyone who bothered to read all that I hope I didn't bore you too much...
11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My black K-01 arrived today. For me, it is a super-bargain-priced second body to my K-5. I expect I'll be using it a lot indoors or at family gatherings - with one of my tidy DA Limited primes mounted on it 98 percent of the time. I just updated the firmware of my new K-01 and all seems well. I must admit that I am enjoying the simplified functionality and user interface of this camera - kind of like a bigger, over-sensored Q.