Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by motodigital Quote
I purchased my K-01 with kit lens at launch for $899. Less than 1 year has passed and this exact kit can be purchased for $299 today on Groupon. Sacrificing $600 and a K10D for the K-01 is one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I rarely use the K-01 and regret buying it every time I use it. I need a viewfinder.
Ugh. Nightmare scenario.

I got my new K-01 yesterday and I really do love it - but only because I got it so cheap. It feels very good as a single-hand-palm-thumb camera. The IQ is great and some of the other features like it's shape and feel are nice. It's unique and I'm glad I finally bought one.

While I'm not sure where the K-01 will fit into a house with several K5s, a K30 and a few Qs, it remains a new pleasure for me. There is no way it is worth the intro price. At $300-400 it's worth it. I can't imagine the K-01 being a main camera. Too many missed opportunities in the design.

12-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by motodigital Quote
I purchased my K-01 with kit lens at launch for $899. Less than 1 year has passed and this exact kit can be purchased for $299 today on Groupon. Sacrificing $600 and a K10D for the K-01 is one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I rarely use the K-01 and regret buying it every time I use it. I need a viewfinder.

You should have never have bought it if you need a viewfinder.

A viewfinder would be a nice add on option but I am ok with using the display though it is difficult to focus it can be done, definitely not as easy to do as with a viewfinder.

I too have a K10D but the K10D doesn't shot video so the K-01 is great to have for that reason.

For $300 for the 40mm lens and he K-01 its alot of fun to have the K-01.
12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Have been absent from the forums for a little bit .... have been toying with the idea of a K30 as a replacement body (current have two K10D bodies).
But after have a read around .... and looking at other options I stumble upon the K01 .... not that really throws a spanner in the works.
And for the price ... and the fact I can use my lenses ... and focus peaking .... and the fact my wife won't be so imtimidated to use it as well.

This looks like the pick for me ... it's still feature rich as well ... and easy to use for a n00b like my wife as well.
Now i won't have to take all of the photos of family.
12-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
This looks like the pick for me...
On another thread, there were a number of K10D owners who chose to buy a K-01...me, included. I'll be interested to see what the next DSLR choice will be for those same folks...if any.

12-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #50

Here's a few reasons (ordered last week, will be here soon I hope):

- current price just too good to pass up
- second/back-up body to my K-5 (which I should send in for a tune up before warranty expires)
- focus peaking (thinking it will be a good set-up with the 35 Limited on a tripod for photographing newspapers and posters for archival purposes)
- quite the opposite of the K-5 in appearance. I got the yellow -- considered the white -- to be a little more out there. I think looking less professional can mean being less obtrusive in some circumstances -- just some guy with a funny yellow camera -- while still being able to take good pictures. In other circumstances, maybe for portraits, it could put people at ease because of the toy-like appearance. I like to have redundancy and versatility in my kit.
- when I actually laid my hands on one in a store a couple of months ago, I was pretty surprised at the build quality. Felt reassuringly weighty/solid, much more so than your Canon Rebel-type camera
- takes great pictures

I do wish it was zippier with raw files. I've got a Q as well, and the lack of a viewfinder and a single dial on that camera is not a hindrance. I gather the button and menu setup of the K-01 will be very similar to the Q, which is fine by me.
12-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #51

Price.

Pretty much the only reason the only reason I bought it. Wanted something better in low light than my K20D, but unfortunately, because of it's design and handling, it's useless for longer lenses - I attempted to hand hold it with my 70-200/2.8 and was soundly defeated.

On the plus side, for smaller lenses, like my 17-50/2.8, it handles fine, and it can do video, which I could never do before (only if it had a swivel LCD).
12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price, IQ, manual focus peaking, quiet shutter, excellent ISO and noise, uses K-mount lenses without an adapter (I hate adapters!), same battery as K-5, stereo/HQvideo. Focusing is pokey, though. In low light, needed to switch to manual focus but the focus peaking helped out. Took very nice photos with a 50-135 last week in church. One thing I notice is, without bracing the camera body against the face using an OVF, one has to hold it much more still than usual. May get an LCD Loupe to attach to it.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 12-27-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: .
12-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Just for the hell of it.

For $300 (with DA 40 XS), why not give it a shot?
12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #54

Wanted one since they first came out. I have a K10D so I don't have live view. I figured live view would be easier on a tripod or a copy stand. But, I didn't want to pay the initial price. Once it went below $350 I snapped one up. I've only shot one session with it so far, but I like it.
01-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
1. Only mirrorless so far to be able to use full size lens' without an adapter.
2. Not all mirrorless have the hotshoe availability.
3. Manual focusing-peaking of the K-01. I was suprised not to see this on the new K-30, but expect to see it on a majority of all new Pentax cameras.
4. In camera SR as opposed to needing to have it on the lens as an option; so now most every lens has SR.
+1
and the price now is very attractive/319$/for body.It is cheaper than P&S CAMERA.
I also like the modern design.
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I was very interested in the K-01 for a long time, and liked nearly everything about it apart from the slow RAW framerate. That stopped me from buying until the price dropped to AUD299.00.

I'm really happy with it so far. It's not the same as an SLR, so it's better in some respects, and weaker in others. Learning to shoot in a different way has been a nice stimulus, which will help make me a more well-rounded shooter.

It seems to me that the price drop has brought in a lot of new customers, which should be good for Pentax. Here's hoping that more K-mount mirrorless bodies are on their way.
01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #57
Veteran Member

As a backup to my K-5, because at $319 with 40XS it is a steal, because it takes K-mount lenses natively, because it has focus peaking, and because it has outstanding IQ.
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I was very interested in the K-01 for a long time, and liked nearly everything about it apart from the slow RAW framerate. That stopped me from buying until the price dropped to AUD299.00.

I'm really happy with it so far. It's not the same as an SLR, so it's better in some respects, and weaker in others. Learning to shoot in a different way has been a nice stimulus, which will help make me a more well-rounded shooter.

It seems to me that the price drop has brought in a lot of new customers, which should be good for Pentax. Here's hoping that more K-mount mirrorless bodies are on their way.
I'd like to hand hold one .... but there's no shop in Sydney (apart from maybe one city store ... and I can't get in there easily) that has one in stock to look at at least. Poor really.

I am tempted to just get one of the last $299 deal ones .... they will be gone soon at that price .... but i might just get one and bite the bullet ... sight unseen.
01-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I'd like to hand hold one .... but there's no shop in Sydney (apart from maybe one city store ... and I can't get in there easily) that has one in stock to look at at least. Poor really.

I am tempted to just get one of the last $299 deal ones .... they will be gone soon at that price .... but i might just get one and bite the bullet ... sight unseen.
It handles like a point and shoot, but it's thick and reassuringly heavy. I see that you have a nice collection of manual glass -- it should handle these lenses very nicely.
01-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #60
Veteran Member

That's what I like the idea of it ... especially with focus peaking as well.
And then use a smaller wide to normal prime on it ... and maybe my wife can use it to take some quick photos of the kids as well with it ... and retain quality as well.

I might just bite the bullet and do it.