Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have the $550 instead of the K30, so I can't compare that one. However, I don't see the difference in shutter noise to be that huge compared to, say, a K20d, and it is even less different from the K-5. (Both of those have a batt grip, and the extra mass may help) I actually thought the K-01 would be quieter than it is. But then many don't see the AF noise on screw drive lenses to be as much an issue as I do, either, so YMMV.
I thought it would be quieter, too, but it seems to be just below the threshold where people notice. IIRC, the K-20 / K-7 / K-5 are all sliky-smooth quiet. The K-30 is more like the K100D / K-x / K-r (a little quieter than the K-x/r). Its kind of a "Ka-CHICK!" to the K-01's "Shoop". Actually, the K-01 has spoiled me, because NOW I see what all the fuss is about SDM - and there goes the LBA again...

02-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #137

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
The appeal to me would be a reduction in size. But the K-01 looks like if offers little in reduction over the dslr. Any other benefits to the K-01?

Thanks
I purchased mine two weeks ago, with the 40mm lens, for $360. I was looking for a small, relatively inexpensive camera to take to places where I don't dare to bring my dslr (i.e. my sailboat), to use when I don't want to carry too much weight, and simple enough for my wife and daughter to use. I am very satisfied with my purchase. I am even playing with the idea of buying again the 21ltd (which I sold less than a year ago, but was my favorite lens on the k5). But for the time being the kit lens and the 40mm are good enough.
02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Actually, the K-01 has spoiled me, because NOW I see what all the fuss is about SDM - and there goes the LBA again...
Of course, SDM has a way of getting really quiet...
02-28-2013, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Of course, SDM has a way of getting really quiet...

I meant when it works...

03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #140
Banned

big bang for the buck at<300.
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #141

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine to take advantage of focus peaking, and the price is a tremendous value.
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #142
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
I bought mine to take advantage of focus peaking, and the price is a tremendous value.
This in addition to it being "native" k-mount allowing af and the price.

05-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #143

What a disaster ! I failed to notice that the K-01 does not have a viewfinder. A bit like a car not having a steering wheel - you tend to assume a new purchase has one.
But I thought I would try it out before commenting/complaining. I went out on a sunny day (May 7) as I think it makes for the best pictures. I found the subject I wanted and pointed the camera towards it. I could see a vague image of the subject - but it was obstructed by a reflection of myself looking back at me in the LCD screen, perfectly lit by the sun.
The camera may have lots of good points but if I can't aim the camera properly they won't be too much use. The K-01 reminds me of those credit card sized cameras that people buy because it fits in their pocket or handbag (purse) neatly and isn't too heavy to carry around all day.
I bought the K-01 because I already have a Pentax isDL and can use the same lenses
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #144
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabber Quote
I could see a vague image of the subject - but it was obstructed by a reflection of myself looking back at me in the LCD screen, perfectly lit by the sun.
The camera may have lots of good points but if I can't aim the camera properly they won't be too much use. The K-01 reminds me of those credit card sized cameras that people buy because it fits in their pocket or handbag (purse) neatly and isn't too heavy to carry around all day.
s
Something like this:
Viewfinder Waist Level Finder for Hasselblad 553 ELX 500 C M Kiev 88 Kiev 88cm | eBay

and some velcro works wonders. Folds up when not in use and protects the LCD

Last edited by verdigris; 05-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted to upgrade from my 200d. Ideally I wanted a K5, but they still too pricey for my blood. K-01 yellow was on sale for 250, same guts as most of the k-5, minus some dials and viewfinder. For me it was a no brainer cheap upgrade. I got to keep my 200d for my zoom lens, and swap fixed ones on my 01. love it so far. no regrets at all.
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #146

I bought one because right now it is super cheap, includes the great 40mm xs lens and has great image quality (and my kx is growing old). I went yesterday to make some shots under the sun and the lack of viewfinder was no problem for me, i always wear a cap or a hat when the sun is strong so the sunlight never hits the screen directly, i didn't even had to increase the brightness (also made a test if you increase the brightness to the max you can see even if the sun hits it). Focus peaking helps a lot outdoors, i tried my Jupiter 37-A lens and almost all photos are in focus, with the viewfinder of my kx i have more trouble focusing, also i discovered auto focusing is more exact, in the past i have had some issues with front focusing with a pair of Sigma lenses on my kx. Also i find odd that persons complain about focusing in low light, i made many test even in complete obscurity and with the green assist light even then the camera focuses. The only thing i agree about the criticisms is that the grip is not the best, this should not be a problem with lighter lens like the 40xs but with long and heavy telephotos. Also i read many complains about the position of the green button, i found it easy to access and useful (i use it to turn on\of focus peaking). Overall i found the image quality to be much better than my kx and the 40xs lens is much sharper, smaller and lighter than any kit lens of any brand (i have used Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Sony).
06-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #147

Because it was cheap and offered outstanding image quality! Love the silent shutter and focus peaking!
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yellowbrick Quote
Because it was cheap and offered outstanding image quality! Love the silent shutter and focus peaking!
Agreed! On my third K-01 with no looking back!
06-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #149
Forum Member

Do you find shooting from the LCD limiting ?
06-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not given the K-01 even a tiny little thought until tonight..... read this thread, realized they used normal sized lenses and where around $300.... I just ordered one! Amazon - $299, free 2 day shipping...

What initially caught my eye... the talk about them creating sharper images than the K-5 ...