Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
This was a real surprise

This kind of tone is exactly why I stopped contributing at DPR a few years ago and registered here. In the beginning, things were nice here, whereas the Pentax forum at DPR was a total mess with constant infighting among older members and a bunch of new people behaving on a level of jerkishness close to this particular thread.

But what I've experienced here in this thread is just totally rude and uncalled for, much like what was going on at DPR back then. I posted a similar thread on DPR with the same ideas as this thread. In stark contrast to the response here, my ideas have been taken seriously at DPR and a really cool and much more interesting discussion has involved with many insightful comments.

Is this place full of people like this, or is this an anomaly?

Matt

10-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #17

Interesting idea Matt!
Maybe you could keep the OVF by having the mirror up normally and have it close down only when taking a shot. The ovf will then be where the LCD is normally. You could have a new place for the LCD, above the sensor on top of the housing for istance.
Not necessarily smaller but it allows for different body-shapes.
10-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulusje Quote
Interesting idea Matt!
Maybe you could keep the OVF by having the mirror up normally and have it close down only when taking a shot. The ovf will then be where the LCD is normally. You could have a new place for the LCD, above the sensor on top of the housing for istance.
Not necessarily smaller but it allows for different body-shapes.
However, you still affect the image quality with the mirror.

Would be an interesting body shape though - sorta similar to how the K-01 with a loupe, but not as large. I don't see it as an improvement in ergonomics though.
10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
This was a real surprise This kind of tone is exactly why I stopped contributing at DPR a few years ago and registered here. In the beginning, things were nice here, whereas the Pentax forum at DPR was a total mess with constant infighting among older members and a bunch of new people behaving on a level of jerkishness close to this particular thread. But what I've experienced here in this thread is just totally rude and uncalled for, much like what was going on at DPR back then. I posted a similar thread on DPR with the same ideas as this thread. In stark contrast to the response here, my ideas have been taken seriously at DPR and a really cool and much more interesting discussion has involved with many insightful comments. Is this place full of people like this, or is this an anomaly? Matt
I can't believe my two comments set you off like that. My first comment poked a little fun but was in good nature, hence the " " My second comment was a sincere response to why I don't think a simple idea like that would work. Then you raged that I gave no "technical" evidence (which was never asked for). I expressed my opinion about the idea honestly, although perhaps a bit too openly, and got this from you:
So you've got nothing, you just felt like criticizing? Gee, thanks for your contribution to the thread.
. You criticize me for being rude, yet it seems like you're the one who is coming off as rude.

10-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
True, I wonder how bad it would be.

Would be an interesting body shape though - sorta similar to how the K-01 with a loupe, but not as large. I don't see it as an improvement in ergonomics though.
I think it could be an improvement. I'd be interested in having both an EWLF (electronic waist level viewfinder) and an OVF (optical eye-level viewfinder) in one body. I bet it would be great for street shots and for low to the ground macro shots.
10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Why don't pentax put the sensor up where the prism is on a dslr and fix the mirror at 45 degrees in place?

You could take up to 20 mm of thickness off the body with just this one move.

Matt
I doubt you can save as much as 20mm doing this, maybe not even 10mm. If keeping SR the body might end up being 10-20mm deeper than K01.
10-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #22
Forum Member

I agree that anything between the back of the lens and the sensor will degrade quality.
In any event I really don't see the point of a thin body when a large APSC sensor still requires large lenses.
That's a NEX, which I considered buying before getting the K-01, but dismissed as even the smallest NEX lens results in a camera little smaller in practical terms than a K-01.
Micro 4/3, Nikon 1 etc by comparison can achieve a significantly smaller camera because the lenses are so much smaller, if that's what you want. The Q is the extreme and, for me, goes a tad too far.
What I'd like to see as a solution to the compact/k-mount dilemma is eschewing the standard camera shape for a scaled-down 645D shape. Accept the back-focus, reduce the width and embrace a big-ass grip as part of the whole body design. When there's no LHS to cling to, you quickly get used to cradling the lens & body from beneath.

12-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

With mirrorless technology, honestly I'm surprised nobody's explored a telescopic design.

Basically a round tube with an LCD on the side that you use like... well... a telescope.

Shutter release and all the buttons on the sides, and you simply hold it up to your eye like a pirate and snap your shots that way.

(I'm only half jesting here - the whole reason cameras are square is to accommodate film, and film isn't a factor in a digital camera.)

EDIT: Basically kind of the ergonomics of a handicam, only its a still camera.
12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
hold it up to your eye like a pirate
I like this idea, I'd buy it
12-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't that the Lytro, more or less?
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi,

Why don't pentax put the sensor up where the prism is on a dslr and fix the mirror at 45 degrees in place?

You could take up to 20 mm of thickness off the body with just this one move.

Matt
Look at the Sony NEXes- if they had a mirror, they would be much bigger.

Pentax already has the smallest mirrorless camera (the Q), and they tested the waters with a more compact mirrorless-only (K-01) lens at CP+ last year, but it didn't seem to generate any interest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

To be fair, the lens was barely any smaller than existing DA ltds. Which have the added flexibility of being used on dslrs...
12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That rather depends on the mirror, doesn't it? Most optical telescopes of any size (including catadioptric photographic lenses) use front-surfaced mirrors that don't degrade image quality, and optical flats are a damn sight easier to manufacture than paraboloidal or even spherical mirrors. It's something else to keep clean, of course.

The ergonomics would be interesting, and something of a challenge, but probably more of a challenge would be making it acceptable visually, I reckon.
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
What I'd like to see as a solution to the compact/k-mount dilemma is eschewing the standard camera shape for a scaled-down 645D shape. Accept the back-focus, reduce the width and embrace a big-ass grip as part of the whole body design. When there's no LHS to cling to, you quickly get used to cradling the lens & body from beneath.
That's pretty much the approach Rollei took with their 35mm film camera, the 2/3000 series. I've thought for some time that this unconventional approach would be a good basis for a Pentax digital 35mm format system camera.
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This design could be really interesting for an inverted kind och SLT, but I bet Sony got it patented. An almost fully reflecting semi-translucent mirror, the image sensor up top and the EVF sensor where you traditionally put the image sensor. I guess this would eliminate some of the problems associated with short flange focal distance and lens design while keeping the old mount. Though I doubt that the camera would become that much smaller, especially with SR, as the camera still needs to be very deep to fit the whole sensor mechanics.